Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I don't know, but this is starting to become a concerted talking point.
Strange. It better not be coming from the team. Every time Geno finds a guy he clicks with, he gets screwed.

He was just at a poker event, they missed a prime opportunity there. :naughty:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Great cap hit for the next 3-4 years, brutal beyond that.

Caps should trade him sooner than later if their chances at a Cup continue to dwindle. That's Dustin Brown level bad.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Strange. It better not be coming from the team. Every time Geno finds a guy he clicks with, he gets screwed.

He was just at a poker event, they missed a prime opportunity there. :naughty:

It may or may not be anything, but I wonder if they look at Jake and to lesser extents Sheary and Rust and what they did and compare. Or, maybe it's seeing how Phil struggled to drive his own line (yes, I know, Bonino was an issue). I just don't know what to make of it . . . maybe there's an issue, or maybe it's about the anticipated return on 6.8M investment moving forward.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Looking into Galchenyuk makes a lot more sense if they're thinking about a near future without Phil.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So 8 more years of facing Oshie? hope our players don't wanna have outragous contracts. Still...Sheary+Maatta for Duchene at 3M please, then look at someone like Petrovic who can skate, hit, and play the game. Perhaps Vermette for 4C if he still has wheels, or Haula for 4C if Vegas wanna trade him. Then when Malkin gets injured Duchene is 2C and Haula 3C. We could also play Duchene at wing sometimes and let Haula play more 3C. The sky is the limit for what we could do.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I know, last year was such a weird one for the Stars, no one was lights out like the previous year.

Oh, he's better than he was last year. BUT, I'm still not paying 3.85M for Bonino regular season production.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Oh, he's better than he was last year. BUT, I'm still not paying 3.85M for Bonino regular season production.

I would rather someone else, but the point being is that UFA centers are likely getting paid, and if we were to bid on Eakin he could be cheap to acquire and we can ask for 1 mil retained. That makes it easy to get rid of him.

Sideline

May 23, 2004

Regular season Bonino is barely a $1 million dollar player. I'd go as high as $3M because he has performed in the playoffs and we need a good 3rd line centre, but he will be offered more from someone else.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
It may or may not be anything, but I wonder if they look at Jake and to lesser extents Sheary and Rust and what they did and compare. Or, maybe it's seeing how Phil struggled to drive his own line (yes, I know, Bonino was an issue). I just don't know what to make of it . . . maybe there's an issue, or maybe it's about the anticipated return on 6.8M investment moving forward.

This is insanity. Their window to win more cups is right now. You leave Kessel on the team or the window closes a bit more than it should, not saying they couldnt still do it, but it just makes it harder for no reason, you have a proven commodity here and it works. He could look like the biggest piece of **** on skates out there but if he consistently puts up the numbers he has in the post season what is there even to talk about. Sheary and Rust, for all the good they do, are not replacing Kessel's impact. This team doesn't even need his effing Cap space, why move him. Unless you're getting back another star player why even do this. This team just won back-to-back cups for christ sake why mess with it this soon.

By the way, this isn't directed at you, just ranting.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This is insanity. Their window to win more cups is right now. You leave Kessel on the team or the window closes. He could look like the biggest piece of **** on skates out there but if he consistently puts up the numbers he has in the post season what is there even to talk about. Sheary and Rust, for all the good they do, are not replacing Kessel's impact. This team doesn't even need his effing Cap space, why move him. Unless you're getting back another star player why even do this. This team just won back-to-back cups for christ sake why mess with it this soon.

By the way, this isn't directed at you, just ranting.

Look, 10 days ago, someone threw out his name unsolicited. Not saying to me it would or might happen, more to say the idea wasn't unfathomable.

Now, you have different people in the media with the 'drives the coaches nuts' narrative.

You know how this organization works. **** like that doesn't get out there, in multiple circles, unless there's a reason.

I still couldn't see JR pulling the trigger or even that strongly considering it. But, I also can't ignore the smoke they've let out there.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
The term is completely irrelevant. A team will always be around to take it if things go bad, or they can LTIR for basically any reason. It's basically year to year for 5.75.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The window for trades will go until the UFA market is open. That way teams can trade from a position and replace with a UFA. Like the Oilers did with Hall for Larsson and signing Lucic.

Kessel to Minnesota for one of Dumba/Brodin and one of Zucker/Neidereiter is the only possible Kessel trade I see that could make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia