Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
For a D man? But yeah he can only go to 8 teams. Everything would have to line up for us to get the value.

Plus in Phil we trust.

If his list is the same 8 teams, well, one new team other than us, Minnesota is the team that could be a match.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Ignoring the previous 3 years in lieu of one year is the lazy part. Lazy is probably the nicest word for that, actually.

I see 35 points twice and 40 points in a year where he had a 14% shooting percentage.

And, those years came BEFORE he got his payday deal.

I'd rather just pay Bonino 4M, and I don't want to pay Bonino 4M.

But, I guess if you're a 35 point scorer in Dallas, it's obvious that you'd score 40-50 in Pittsburgh, because . . . well, you'll have to explain it to me, because it's lazy to think otherwise?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If his list is the same 8 teams, well, one new team other than us, Minnesota is the team that could be a match.

Or Montreal, depending upon how much you liked Galchenyuk and extra cap space.

EDIT: I still can't see it. Kessel drives the coaches nuts, but his teammates love him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
At this point I'd rather just target the best forward we can get, shore up the defense a little and target Boyle in free agency.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Fine. He had 3 goals and 9 assists in 60 games.

Let's more than triple his shooting percentage to 12%, just to make you happy. He took 82 shots in 60 games. So, instead of 4 goals, in your 'not lazy' fantasy world, he'd have had 10 goals and 9 assists. Wow, 19 points.

But, but, but, what if he played 82 games in your 'not lazy' fantasy world. Well, let's multiply his 19 points in your he's a 12% shooter 'not lazy' fantasy world by 1.33.

19 x 1.33 is 25.27 points based on his stats last season if he'd played 82 games and shot 12%.

But, I'll tell you what, I'll round it up to 26 points, lest you call me lazy, and remain content in continuing to laugh at the idea that a 26 point center making 3.85M for the next 3 years is worth JR's time of day.

You shouldn't discount his previous years where he put up numbers similiar to Bones and the fact it was proposed we get him with retained salary to protect us and make it easier for us to move him if we had to.

BetterCallSaul

Feb 28, 2017
Phil is since two years in Pittsburgh. In both years we won Lord Stanley. One of the reasons were his production during both runs. Also he managed to score 70 points during the regular season. Just the idea of trading him is pure insanity in my eyes.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You shouldn't discount his previous years where he put up numbers similiar to Bones and the fact it was proposed we get him with retained salary to protect us and make it easier for us to move him if we had to.

He put up numbers similar to Bones when he was making the same type of money as Bones.

His new deal kicked in last year . . . so, if I'm going to trade an asset for Eakin AND pay him 3.85M to produce like Bones, why not just pay Bones 4M?

Dr Frasier Crane

Oct 16, 2008
Boston, MA
I see 35 points twice and 40 points in a year where he had a 14% shooting percentage.

And, those years came BEFORE he got his payday deal.

I'd rather just pay Bonino 4M, and I don't want to pay Bonino 4M.

But, I guess if you're a 35 point scorer in Dallas, it's obvious that you'd score 40-50 in Pittsburgh, because . . . well, you'll have to explain it to me, because it's lazy to think otherwise?

What does his payday have to do with anything? Increasing his output 5-10 points a year isn't a ton when you consider his next 3 years are prime years.

Don't want to get into linemate bump because honestly I don't know who he played with most last year or what our 3rd would look like next year. But don't think it's crazy to suggest he might play his 16 minutes with better players in Pittsburgh.

Maybe you can explain why one year negates 3 and turns him into a 25-30 point player.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I agree it's time to look for a long time replacement for Cullen rather then asking him to come back. As much as I love him. Retire on top Cully!

That's what people said last year.

As for his replacement, it's a 4C. I don't have any solutions, but they'll find one when they need to.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Phil has a 8 team list to which he'd accept a trade. I'm not sure Nashville is on it. Honestly, if you're trading Phil, then it HAS to be to a team on his list. If it's not on his list and you have to ask him to waive, it becomes one big **** show. This one, Phil can't know-- nobody can know-- until it's done.

I wouldn't trade him and I don't think he gets traded, but if you were thinking of doing it...

Phil for a top 4 D plus a prospect and a pick. He's an elite winger on a good deal with term.

Is there truth that Sully isn't his biggest fan? If true Sully has a hell of a poker face in interviews

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Or Montreal, depending upon how much you liked Galchenyuk and extra cap space.

EDIT: I still can't see it. Kessel drives the coaches nuts, but his teammates love him.
Where is this "drives the coaches nuts" thing coming from? I keep seeing it but there's never a source to it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
What does his payday have to do with anything? Increasing his output 5-10 points a year isn't a ton when you consider his next 3 years are prime years.

Don't want to get into linemate bump because honestly I don't know who he played with most last year or what our 3rd would look like next year. But don't think it's crazy to suggest he might play his 16 minutes with better players in Pittsburgh.

Maybe you can explain why one year negates 3 and turns him into a 25-30 point player.

Not in a way you'd comprehend.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
He put up numbers similar to Bones when he was making the same type of money as Bones.

His new deal kicked in last year . . . so, if I'm going to trade an asset for Eakin AND pay him 3.85M to produce like Bones, why not just pay Bones 4M?
Because getting back production equal Bones is a nice touch. Bones isn't coming back for 1.9, or 2.85x3.

Dr Frasier Crane

Oct 16, 2008
Boston, MA

Bonino is 3 years older and looking for more term on top of just the 4M...for starters.

Even then this argument is better than just saying Eakin is somehow a 25-30 point player all of a sudden based on 60 games.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Because getting back production equal Bones is a nice touch. Bones isn't coming back for 1.9.

You're not paying Eakin 1.9M either. Double that. That's Shero style cap management. No thanks.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
And thats why JR steers clear of big $/term in FA'y.
Remember the whole Semin ordeal?
He learned his lesson.
Hell, CAR is still paying him 2.333M for 4 more years to not play in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad