Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Oh, I'm sure we can.

But, as Peat noted, his value is as high as it's going to get right now. So, do you-- and this really was a perfect word from him-- 'toy' with the idea and see what you can get now instead of scrambling in 2-3 years when that only 8 teams allowed list may make it all but impossible to move him?

I'll say this again . . . IF you're going to do it, then it can't be public. You can't go to Phil to ask him to waive, because that becomes a **** show. You have to find a dance partner on his list, and not a whiff that it's being done for real gets out there UNTIL IT IS DONE.

That is why I find this media 'seed planting' interesting. Almost like if JR did more than toyed with it and actually moved Phil now, the seeds have been planted . . . 'well, they loved Phil and really appreciate how much he meant to the two cup wins, but Phil can be a surly guy, and he can drive the coaches and his teammates nuts on the ice, and JR just got an offer he couldn't refuse'. A little easier to tell that story IF the media spends a week planting seeds as opposed to it totally coming out of nowhere for everyone.
Oh for sure, pointless to start any controversy. It would be a hockey trade and happen suddenly.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
To be honest, I kinda want to see the Penguins trade for Kane just because I think a huge section of this fanbase would riot :laugh:

At this point, I'd take anything. Trade Pouliot for Girgensons, trade for Collin Miller, just do something.

My only question is what team would give up a good enough return where the Penguins could justify moving Kessel? Like I just don't see it. JR can toy with the idea, but if he goes shopping and the best offer is a 1st round pick and B prospect from Minnesota, that doesn't really accomplish all that much. Cap space really isn't a valued commodity in a Kessel trade, because they already have cap space.

Hey, I've said multiple times that I don't see it, and I definitely don't see it happening for a package of futures.

Oh for sure, pointless to start any controversy. It would be a hockey trade and happen suddenly.

For sure.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It would be such a bad look if we dealt him. It would basically give the Canadian media more cred.

It would suggest not even the Cup is worth having Phil around.

OK, I'm stopping this now because I am getting Jagr trade flashbacks from 2001 and it's ticking me off.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It won't be well received, that's for sure. Patience. Coming off of back to back Stanley Cups I would rather they just stand pat right now. At least until July 1. Things are getting crazy right now and we have enough in-house maintence to keep us busy.

It just really sucks that Kane is such a locker room issue, I'd absolutely love to have him here if he was just okay in the locker room. But there's a reason he has worn out his welcome with 2 teams in 3 cities now.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
1st on the Pens in points in the playoffs last year. 3rd this year. Secondary scoring we desperately needed outside 87/71. 2 time cup champ in 2 years. Come onnnn. Let it go.

Everyone is tradable if it makes them team better but it makes it harder with only 8 teams on his list.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
But that wasn't really my point. My point isn't what you'd want back in a Kessel trade, my point was that what team will be giving up something that helps the Penguins now in a Kessel trade? The last time Kessel got traded, there was 1 team in on him. He constructed his NTC to essentially make it a full NTC, with only leaving teams at the cap as teams he wouldn't block a trade to. I can't see him changing that now. It doesn't matter what you'd want back for Kessel, my thing was talking about what team would even trade for Kessel?

I'm talking about your Kane part.:laugh:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It just really sucks that Kane is such a locker room issue, I'd absolutely love to have him here if he was just okay in the locker room. But there's a reason he has worn out his welcome with 2 teams in 3 cities now.

I don't even think that is the problem for us. His cap hit, and future cap hit, is.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It would be such a bad look if we dealt him. It would basically give the Canadian media more cred.

It would suggest not even the Cup is worth having Phil around.

OK, I'm stopping this now because I am getting Jagr trade flashbacks from 2001 and it's ticking me off.

If the team felt about it the same way you did, they'd have squashed this narrative at the beginning of the week. They didn't.

And, once again, I'll say to guys like you and Cole who KNOW how this franchise works . . . the media are their mouthpieces, and they don't state publicly something the team doesn't want out there the moment they tell the media to zip it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm talking about your Kane part.:laugh:

Sorry my bad, I thought you were talking about Kessel :laugh:

I don't even think that is the problem for us. His cap hit, and future cap hit, is.

I don't think Kane's cap hit is a problem and I probably wouldn't re-sign him after next year anyway. I'd just trade redundant pieces like Hagelin and Pouliot for him and then let him walk after next year, unless he's willing to re-sign for not that much money.

Interesting that Yohe is calling their conversations "animated", yet I feel like this was said last year and the year before too :laugh:

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
If the team felt about it the same way you did, they'd have squashed this narrative at the beginning of the week. They didn't.

And, once again, I'll say to guys like you and Cole who KNOW how this franchise works . . . the media are their mouthpieces, and they don't state publicly something the team doesn't want out there the moment they tell the media to zip it.

Why would they have squashed it? They're probably off enjoying their vacations and probably nobody of any consequence is even listening to 97.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad