Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread Pt. 5 | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
PK Subban thinks to highly of his play. He is a good D man when he is not being a selfish d*** on the ice. But his need to be an attention ***** is a problem.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It is well known and it makes no sense to take that risk when you have the upfront talent we have

Like it was well known about Kessel?

Maybe you need a refresher about how he was perceived by fans and media... go dig through the Kessel threads from two summers ago and you will find tons of "locker room cancer" comments by fans like yourself.

You have no clue about Kane in the locker room anymore than those fans knew about Kessel. In fact, several Pens players say they were surprised at how nice Kessel was because they heard rumors to the contrary.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Hainsey had more TOI than Maatta in the playoffs. Replace his role with Letang and bump him down to a 4/5 role which is really what Maatta's been for us for the most part and I'd be ok with it. Ideally you find someone with a bit more puck moving ability but it's not like he can't skate or defend in our system.

I think this team's defense should rely on Dumo-Letang as stud pairing getting 22+ minutes. And then spread the minutes out after that. We can roll 4 guys who can all play 18-20 minutes.

Hainsey will probably want more term and money than we're comfortable paying, but he'd be fine as a bottom pair guy, especially considering his ability to play both sides.

Though I'm not convinced the org would be satisfied starting out with four LHD not including Daley. I'd imagine they'll make a push for a third pair righty, or just give Ruh the job.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
Way different. Kessel and the media did not get along. His teammates love him. Kane is a problem.

Hey if sully likes to reference the Patriots, I might as well. 1 he's on the last year of his deal,if he has half a brain he can parlay that into a huge payday or fall into obscurity like the rest of the problem childs. 2 here's the patriot reference. The penguins have the best leader in the game Ala Tom brady. And a staff that's fit to the task. And lemme tell you,winning cures tons of problems. He supposedly had issues with big buff, we're talking about a guy that ballooned to darn near 300 pounds 1 off season. Is he really the poster guy for accountability? Who leads that charge in buffalo?? Cuz we certainly know Bylsma didn't have a clue in that regard. I'd say penguins or hawks are the 2 best fits,where if he's fixable those are the teams equipped to do it. If he can be had at a discount rate you'd absolutely have to research and explore the idea.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
On a different topic, Adam portzline or whatever his name is from the Columbus dispatch is reporting cbj has struck a deal with Vegas so they can keep korpisalo?? On a funny note,maybe we broke bob! Onto the roster discussion he's rumored it's Murray lvg is gonna take. I'm assuming they may want to keep him but is that a dman we could have interest in? I know he hasn't lived up to draft potential but I still feel like he's pretty good,from what I've seen. Am I wrong?

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
On a different topic, Adam portzline or whatever his name is from the Columbus dispatch is reporting cbj has struck a deal with Vegas so they can keep korpisalo?? On a funny note,maybe we broke bob! Onto the roster discussion he's rumored it's Murray lvg is gonna take. I'm assuming they may want to keep him but is that a dman we could have interest in? I know he hasn't lived up to draft potential but I still feel like he's pretty good,from what I've seen. Am I wrong?

He's solid enough defensively for the 3rd pair I think. His offensive game just obviously hasn't developed into anywhere near what they had hoped.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I wouldn't really put the media-driven Kessel hate on the same level as what went down with E. Kane in Atlanta/Winnipeg.

I can't really remember any stories about Kessel having as serious of run-ins with his teammates or coaching staff as the stuff we've heard about E. Kane. Sure, Kessel hated it in Toronto, but I think he had some good friends as well. I think the entire Kessel-Toronto thing was the Toronto sports media doing what they do, and going full 24-hour news network/gossip/tabloid **** on a guy that was brought in as a high profile offensive player--but wasn't a fit to be a franchise cornerstone type of guy. Kessel's phenomenal, but he's by no means a guy you hang your hat on as a franchise. That's not a knock against him, it's just the reality. The Toronto sports media ate that **** up and turned the entire town and fanbase against him because he wasn't the savior they unfairly chose him to be when the Leafs got him. The pressure mounted, verbal jabs were thrown, and the two sides grew to revile one another to the point that Toronto was forced to move him.

As for E. Kane, there are multiple reports of him ignoring (admittedly stupid) team rules for dress code, skipping meetings, being late to meetings/practice, and having run-ins with teammates as opposed to reporters. Byfuglien specifically threw Kane's tracksuit in the showers when Kane showed up to practice in it, violating the team dress code. Another report about Byfuglien nearly coming to blows with Kane, and then forcing Kane to dress in the hallway because he was no longer a part of the lockerroom. Now, I can't confirm firsthand these stories, but I've never really heard/read anything from anyone saying they're false, made up, or exaggerated. Then, there's an interview with Kane doing some kinda behind the scenes, "check out my house/game day routine" crap, where he essentially says out of all of the guys in the NHL, he'd want to fight a couple of his previous teammates in Winnipeg (I think it was Wheeler and Ladd?). Sorta lends a bit of credibility to the reports that his teammates hated him and he hated them back. This doesn't even touch on the reports of Kane being a ********, drunk and belligerent at bars/clubs, or the whole (since thrown out I believe) sexual assault accusations.

I don't know. I think the only similarity you can draw between the two is that they both had extremely tenuous situations in the past with previous teams. Kessel vs. the Toronto media, and probably Carlyle, and Kane vs. his teammates. I think Kane's situation is a good bit more dangerous to bring in to a team predicated on everyone being super tight-knit, and every single person in the lockerroom buying in to Sully's preaching 110%.

But, like I've said before, the Kane stuff was years ago. If JR and Sully think that this team, with the presence of Mike Sullivan, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, can fix E. Kane's maturity issues, so be it. The guy undoubtedly has baggage, but if we were to acquire him, that would mean this coaching staff (and likely Sid/Geno) would have spoken at great length about it, and believe that they could sort him out. Kane's physical ability, skill, speed and toughness are wholly undeniable--he's a potential stud on the ice. If the powers that be in the Penguins front office and coaching staff think that outweighs his potential for off-ice issues and lockerroom garbage, I'll defer to their judgement.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Hainsey will probably want more term and money than we're comfortable paying, but he'd be fine as a bottom pair guy, especially considering his ability to play both sides.

Though I'm not convinced the org would be satisfied starting out with four LHD not including Daley. I'd imagine they'll make a push for a third pair righty, or just give Ruh the job.

Hainsey's cap hit was 2.8 mil last year and he's 36. He's not getting a big contract. And he played mostly RD last season.

This board seems pretty against Kane. If he's sold low, I think we'd be fools not to inquire.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
A player that's probably going to be left unprotected that i would want is Nate Schmidt.

He impressed me a lot in the playoffs last year, i think hes going to have a breakout year next year.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I really, really hope we let all the veteran UFAs walk.

Bonino is going to get some silly Bolland-type contract.

Hainsey, lest we forget, was REALLY, REALLY bad.

Streit is done.

Daley is more bad than good most nights.

Cullen is probably gonna hang 'em up, and move to the front office.

Kunitz, for as much as he turned it around in the final series and in game 7 against the Sens, has been REALLY bad for 3+ years now and getting worse. I wouldn't mind Kunitz back for super cheap if he was to be played solely as a 4th line, physical/energy guy, but he won't be. This organization, roster, and coaching staff revere the guy to a level that clouds their judgment. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding performance/production, at the slightest hint of struggle or injury, Kunitz is the first guy to move up with Sid or Geno, and to get power play time. No thanks. I appreciate what you did in game 7 of the Sens series, and against the Preds, but your services are no longer needed Kunitz. Godspeed.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Throwing this up for people who like to read TSN Pens Off-season Plan:

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-pittsburgh-penguins-1.781051

Pretty shocked to see Cullen didn't buy any BS and listed Maatta and Kunitz as zeros... specifically mentions Kunitz 30+ game goal less streak.

Even throws out some numbers on why Guentzel's success isn't a big surprise. I was flabbergasted to see he scored lotsa points before being with Crosby. You guys and gals won't believe it either!

I'm more disappointed that Cullen didn't feel like Pittsburgh would do anything about their weak bottom 6 center depth. He's usually pretty good, but damn is that a glaring hole.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
I thought it was reported that the NHL asked teams not to disclose trades before Wednesday, that way the league can make a huge deal outta the Vegas lineup and all the action around it at the awards.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I thought it was reported that the NHL asked teams not to disclose trades before Wednesday, that way the league can make a huge deal outta the Vegas lineup and all the action around it at the awards.

Only trades that deal with LV. So if it's Pittsburgh doing a side deal with LV so they pick MAF, GM's have been asked not to leek it. But if it's Pittsburgh trading Maatta to whomever, then that's not an issue.

SkullSplitter

Jul 12, 2007
Pittsburgh
People don't want to talk about it, but race comes into play. Being a minority in the NHL is no doubt difficult. You've got a bunch of 20 something year old men that may not have been raised in a way that leaves them super sensitive to race relations.

How can we say if he's the problem or if the other dudes in the locker room are the problem? We don't know. People talked the same way about Kessel. They still say that stuff about Kessel. Heck, it's hard not to think that way about Kessel because he always looks pissed off all the time with those deep set eyes.

The only thing that really concerns me about Kane is the bar incident.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Reminder to those discussing Kane and Subban (or any player)... keep it off the board if it isn't from a recognized source (i.e., not friends or acquaintances).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
he was pretty damn good this year. i wanted the pens to sign him last offseason, sooo if he's available, the pens should be in on it.

He was... but I think he's going to be very overrated. The kid is skilled, but fast and small. And just played his first full season. I mean I wouldn't say no if he came cheap, but I don't see him coming cheap.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
He was... but I think he's going to be very overrated. The kid is skilled, but fast and small. And just played his first full season. I mean I wouldn't say no if he came cheap, but I don't see him coming cheap.

if he is available due to protection issues, that caps his value. they're not going to request a ransom for a player they believe they have to get rid of.

i mean...they could want a lot for him of course. doesn't mean they're going to get it.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
The issue I'm concerned with is that we bring in Kane for protection and he ends up punching out Geno.

All the other Kane stuff aside (the guy can definitely play), where does this idea that he'd provide much protection come from anyway? If it's because he can retaliate with a clean hit fine but he averages maybe 1-2 fights per season and his "fight card" is far from impressive and smacks of "spot picking". He has losses (according to hockeyfights) to Horton and Luke Schenn and that was over 4 years ago. He's hardly going to intimidate anyone, let alone teams with a Foligno or Maroon on them.

If we get him because he's a good player (potential locker room issues aside) and makes the team somewhat harder to play against fine, but he's not providing any "protection" -- he's probably more likely to leave the team short handed after taking a roughing penalty against a Dubinsky type (and Dubinksy could probably handle Kane just fine either way).

As I've said elsewhere, I don't believe that even a Reaves or Neil do anything to stop a Staal or Niskanen taking liberties with our stars, particularly in the playoffs, although someone like Reaves could play a regular shift, would make our team harder to play against, and at least give us an answer to the Boll's and Haley's of the league if it comes to that.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Retaliation with a massive (deliberately not saying clean here) hit is probably better protection and deterrence than dropping the gloves atm.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Retaliation with a massive (deliberately not saying clean here) hit is probably better protection and deterrence than dropping the gloves atm.

I don't think using a player as protection is a legitimate possibility in today's NHL. Not to say I wouldn't be happy to add someone who can throw massive hits, but they won't prevent anybody from taking shots at our stars. We don't have the only stars taking shots all game long. The guys doing this stuff do not care what you do back, they will just keep doing it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think using a player as protection is a legitimate possibility in today's NHL. Not to say I wouldn't be happy to add someone who can throw massive hits, but they won't prevent anybody from taking shots at our stars. We don't have the only stars taking shots all game long. The guys doing this stuff do not care what you do back, they will just keep doing it.

*shrugs* We've been over it. I'm not particularly sold on it myself, although I'm more sold than some... but in any case, I don't want to keep having that conversation because it changes nothing. Right or wrong, they're looking to add it, I'd rather just discuss the best possible type of add there is for it.

Insofar as it makes a difference, I believe the threat of having someone powerful and mean skate full speed into people's heads will do more than the threat of having someone punch a player a few times if they agree to it. It's a lot more damage and, absurdly, a lot easier to get away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad