Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread Pt. 5 | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Yeah, even if he's not convicted of anything more often than not where there's repeated smoke there's fire. When it's always the same guy getting accused of stuff like this over and over it's hard to ignore.

Exactly. Just like Big Ben. Stop putting yourself in those positions. No thanks.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Great day for Vegas.
Not much movement means alotta teams are calling them with offers to lay off certain guys.
Seen it tweeted earlier by one of the insiders that a GM told him Vegas already has three 1st rd picks in their back pocket already.

I hope that one of those firsts ain't the Pens' for taking Fleury. Huge overpayment if so.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I hope that one of those firsts ain't the Pens' for taking Fleury. Huge overpayment if so.

I'm choosing to believe that if that was the case, rumours about it would have started to leak, so there probably isn't.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
And if they had to move a first just for Vegas to take fleury thats a bit of a slap in the face to him. Seems like he knows he's wanted there. Not going somewhere where they had to be bribed to take him.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
If the rumors are true Vegas is keeping Fleury and has told other teams inquiring about him that he won't be available. That makes me think there won't be much if anything additional going the other way. They seem to really want him as opposed to just taking him as a 'favor' to the Pens.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If the rumors are true Vegas is keeping Fleury and has told other teams inquiring about him that he won't be available. That makes me think there won't be much if anything additional going the other way. They seem to really want him as opposed to just taking him as a 'favor' to the Pens.

I'm a little surprised Vegas hasn't been able to wrangle Maf from the Pens and then also grab someone from us in the ED. The Pens need to get rid of Maf, and they know it, so you'd think Vegas could hold that over us.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think MAFs value to LV is pretty high on 2 fronts cuz they can flip him down the road for a nice return. Like going into next season and his UFA year.
And hes a name that gives the G position in LV instant recognition and will but more butts in the seats. We ve all seen the love MAF gets. Hundreds will flock to LV for a weekend or week or 2 and go to games just cuz of him, win or lose.

On the flip side of the getting 2 pieces from us thing is LV would have to pay assets to trade for MAF(something they wouldnt want) and JR probably doesnt wanna lose a piece on top of MAF. So JR tells McPhee back in Feburuary MAF will be waiving. McPhee tells JR theyd love to get him. MAF is in on the deal and warms up to the thought of being a starter in LV for 2 yrs minimum. Off his wife goes to house shop. Everyones happy.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm a little surprised Vegas hasn't been able to wrangle Maf from the Pens and then also grab someone from us in the ED. The Pens need to get rid of Maf, and they know it, so you'd think Vegas could hold that over us.

I strongly doubt they were the only team interested in MAF. If anything, we're the ones with more leverage there - guarantee the pick or we'll give the goaltender you want to someone else.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I strongly doubt they were the only team interested in MAF. If anything, we're the ones with more leverage there - guarantee the pick or we'll give the goaltender you want to someone else.

Maf has only ever waived for Vegas though. Would he have waived for someone else? Maybe.

I'm just surprised Vegas wasn't able to say hey look we'll take Fleury for you in a trade for a mid round pick and then in the ED we'll take another player of our choice. What recourse would the Pens have against that? Maybe none if Maf wasn't flexible with his NMC, and who knows if he would be.

I'm glad it appears we're only losing him though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Source for this?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maf has only ever waived for Vegas though. Would he have waived for someone else? Maybe.

I'm just surprised Vegas wasn't able to say hey look we'll take Fleury for you in a trade for a mid round pick and then in the ED we'll take another player of our choice. What recourse would the Pens have against that? Maybe none if Maf wasn't flexible with his NMC, and who knows if he would be.

I'm glad it appears we're only losing him though.

The NMC which he waived only prevents him from being put on waivers/the expansion draft. He could only waive it for the ED and Vegas.

His NTC only gives 12 teams he can block and we don't know what teams were on his NTC, we don't know which of them he'd have waived for if asked. It's possible it would have been very hard to trade him elsewhere - possibly easy enough. Maybe it would have been hard to trade him elsewhere when he knew they really wanted him and easy if he thought they were lukewarm. It's hard to see MAF being super obdurate about where he wanted to go at the team's expense.

There's a lot of maybes and what ifs - all we know for sure is that a proven good goaltender is no small thing to have. As such, I doubt we'd have had no alternatives but Vegas and I doubt they were in the mood to play hardball over one of the better assets they'll draft.

But who knows? Maybe it'll turn out they do select another player and we trade MAF after. Seems unlikely but there we go.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
So if Elliot goes to free agency after having a down year, maybe you could get him cheap on a one year deal. I'm not really comfortable with Murray/Jarry next season. Murray has yet to play a full regular season as a starter due to some injuries and unless the Pens are convinced Jarry would be ready to start games for weeks/months at a time in case of a Murray injury, I'd get a stopgap.

Elliot looked his best in a goalie tandem setup.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The NMC which he waived only prevents him from being put on waivers/the expansion draft. He could only waive it for the ED and Vegas.

His NTC only gives 12 teams he can block and we don't know what teams were on his NTC, we don't know which of them he'd have waived for if asked. It's possible it would have been very hard to trade him elsewhere - possibly easy enough. Maybe it would have been hard to trade him elsewhere when he knew they really wanted him and easy if he thought they were lukewarm. It's hard to see MAF being super obdurate about where he wanted to go at the team's expense.

There's a lot of maybes and what ifs - all we know for sure is that a proven good goaltender is no small thing to have. As such, I doubt we'd have had no alternatives but Vegas and I doubt they were in the mood to play hardball over one of the better assets they'll draft.

But who knows? Maybe it'll turn out they do select another player and we trade MAF after. Seems unlikely but there we go.

My impression from reading around is Maf's primary concern is playing time. DK said he asked him off the record about Winnipeg once and Maf didn't seem too happy with it and I get the sense it was because they have a good young goalie there.

Kinda strange given that that he's ok with Vegas though since they're gonna have not just him but another good goalie as well if they desire to. I bet they nab Grubauer from the Caps in the ED as well and that makes a pretty good tandem and one where Maf might not necessarily hold onto the #1 job easily.

At any rate if we all we lose to this is Maf that's a huge bonus for us. We get his entire cap hit off no questions asked and will have ample cap room this off season to cover our RFA raises and even add a little bit in free agency.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
So the way I see it, we will have 7 million to spend on a 3C and Defenseman. We are currently at 60 million - Flower will give us just over 20 million in cap room with the following roster.:
Sid
Geno
Kessel
Horny
Hags
Rust
Rowney
Wilson
Kuhn
Jake
Tanger
Maata
Cole
Murray
Jarry

Estimated for RFAs
Schultz 5 million
Dumo 4 million
Sheary 2 million
Pouiliot or Ruhwedel 800k
Archibald 600k
Sundqvist 600k

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
People don't want to talk about it, but race comes into play. Being a minority in the NHL is no doubt difficult. You've got a bunch of 20 something year old men that may not have been raised in a way that leaves them super sensitive to race relations.

How can we say if he's the problem or if the other dudes in the locker room are the problem? We don't know. People talked the same way about Kessel. They still say that stuff about Kessel. Heck, it's hard not to think that way about Kessel because he always looks pissed off all the time with those deep set eyes.

The only thing that really concerns me about Kane is the bar incident.

Gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the issue isn't race, considering Kane's biggest nemesis to date has been Byfuglien. :laugh:

1307555.gif

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So if Elliot goes to free agency after having a down year, maybe you could get him cheap on a one year deal. I'm not really comfortable with Murray/Jarry next season. Murray has yet to play a full regular season as a starter due to some injuries and unless the Pens are convinced Jarry would be ready to start games for weeks/months at a time in case of a Murray injury, I'd get a stopgap.

Elliott looked his best when he played behind a stingy St. Louis defense that played like the Mike Johnston Penguins. Any time Elliott's had to actually make saves to help his team out, he's choked.

But, I suppose as a backup, why not. I just don't think he'd be cheap. He likely still sees himself as a starter, even if it's a platoon starter.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

There should be some decent options floating around. Miller, Johnson, Condon, Elliot, Nilsson, Mason, Kuemper and Bernier. J/k, not Bernier. Some may re-sign, get a tandem job or have a geographical preference but it's a decent crop of goalies.

Nilsson was a massive wall against us once. Dude weighs an extra quarter of a Murray.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

My concern about Elliott is that while he's good enough to challenge and push Murray, I'm worried that he's too good. I don't think he'll come cheap enough (say less than 2.5m), but I'm worried that he'll want and take too many starts from Murray. I want someone who can do the job if need be... but I think we can find a better fit then Elliott. Not really sure who that might be... but it's my concern.

I won't complain if we get Elliott... but he's a good goalie who's played almost 50% of the starts and hasn't been a "backup" in almost a decade. I also think that there's other teams out there who would be a better fit - specifically Winnipeg. They need a #1 goalie, but also have a very good young guy who they'll want to get 30-40 starts. They also have the cap space for him. Pittsburgh isn't in the same situation.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Just bring in Ryan Miller as the backup. He will be one of the guys we add for us to "win a cup" for.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I personally would rather get a cheap capable veteran and give Jarry a shot at number one should anything happen. If we do the deluxe route, I'd want a short contract as I'd expect Jarry to be forcing his way in pretty sharp.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This was a thought I just had, I think it's almost a guarantee that the tough guy the Penguins will bring in will be a winger. I don't see them adding a tough guy defenseman to be honest, the Penguins entire game is built off of puck moving defensemen and speed, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot by having a guy like Engelland on defense. At center, the Penguins really only need a 3C and they're going to need a guy who's not incompetent offensively, since he'll be playing with Sheary and Hornqvist most likely. But at wing, they could survive with having a slower tough guy. Look at how effective overall Bonino was in the last 2 years despite not being able to skate well. If you put someone like Foligno in the bottom-6, I don't think the Penguins become so damaged that they can't play to their identity (adding Engelland plus a Letang injury can certainly bring them close to being that damaged), plus the board play of the bottom-6 would improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad