Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread Pt. 5 | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Why??? We know how important depth is for our team wanting make a deep run in the playoffs. There may come a time when Kuhn asks for a trade if he's not a regular in our line up, but he's cheap & effective, and there is ZERO reason to trade him.

[trading Kuhnhackl]

Why? Because he's not a center and other wingers are passing him up on the depth chart. I like him, but unless he goes back to his playing style that he first did in the O, I think he's as good as gone. We do need penalty killers, though. If he can become a top PKer for the team, I can see him staying the entire season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If we get a few guys in to do the whole heavy thing, we're probably gonna squeeze a few bottom six guys off of the roster. Right now Kuhnhackl seems bottom of the pecking order.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't know why we would even be talking about trading a guy who is a PERFECT 12/13th forward who is making near the league minimum. What more do you want? Why trade a decent player when there is zero need to do so? And we know there are going to be injuries throughout the year and it's important to have depth.

Also, you question if he can become a good PKer as if he isn't already a good PKer. He's a good PKer, period. Great 12th/13th forward.

If Kuhn ends up being part of a package in a trade, I won't lose any sleep over it. But talk of trading him just for the sake of it is just totally nonsensical.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't know why we would even be talking about trading a guy who is a PERFECT 12/13th forward who is making near the league minimum. What more do you want? Why trade a decent player when there is zero need to do so? And we know there are going to be injuries throughout the year and it's important to have depth.

Also, you question if he can become a good PKer as if he isn't already a good PKer. He's a good PKer, period. Great 12th/13th forward.

If Kuhn ends up being part of a package in a trade, I won't lose any sleep over it. But talk of trading him just for the sake of it is just totally nonsensical.

Because its possible he ends up being the 14/15th forward? Better to trade him than lose him to waivers if that's what happens.

No one is saying he's on the potential trade list because he's a bad player or fit. Simply our forwards are loaded, we could end up adding a few guys if Rutherford is serious about finding muscle, and it looks like he could be the loser.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I think Brian Boyle's too expensive for a fourth line center, and not reliable enough for a full time third line center.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
[trading Kuhnhackl]

Why? Because he's not a center and other wingers are passing him up on the depth chart. I like him, but unless he goes back to his playing style that he first did in the O, I think he's as good as gone. We do need penalty killers, though. If he can become a top PKer for the team, I can see him staying the entire season.

I like Kuhn but ZAR is gonna be a much better version of him and will produce big numbers. Eventually we are gonna have to start moving some of these guys unless we just let them walk after their contracts are up...which i rather wouldn't.

A lot of these guys have two cups already, if we can add them in part of a package for a solid dman or center...then do it.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Kuhnhackl was better than Wilson during the season and even early on in the playoffs but Wilson turned it around pretty well. Plus I think Sully really likes Wilson.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Because its possible he ends up being the 14/15th forward? Better to trade him than lose him to waivers if that's what happens.

No one is saying he's on the potential trade list because he's a bad player or fit. Simply our forwards are loaded, we could end up adding a few guys if Rutherford is serious about finding muscle, and it looks like he could be the loser.

We're losing Cullen, we're losing Kunitz, we may lose Bonino. We may trade Hagelin. ZAR is not ready yet, Sprong maybe -- and there's a good chance we don't sign a single outside UFA (aside from maybe retaining Bones). So I don't see how he gets pushed down to 14-15 or as you suggest be put on waivers -- no chance that's happening. He's a solid player who still has his best years ahead.

Guentzel--Crosby--Sheary
Rust--Malkin--Kessel/Horny
Wilson--Bonino/3c--Horny/Kessel
Kuhn--Rowney/Sundqvist--Archibald/Rowney

To me the bigger question is if Hagelin is traded or not. If we do sign Bones, then I think we may look to trade Hags. If we don't sign Bones, then it's more likely we keep Hags. We'll have 14 forwards either way.

Just to clarify -- does Sundqvist have to clear waivers to be sent down next year?

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
We're losing Cullen, we're losing Kunitz, we may lose Bonino. We may trade Hagelin. ZAR is not ready yet, Sprong maybe -- and there's a good chance we don't sign a single outside UFA (aside from maybe retaining Bones). So I don't see how he gets pushed down to 14-15 or as you suggest be put on waivers -- no chance that's happening. He's a solid player who still has his best years ahead.

Guentzel--Crosby--Sheary

To me the bigger question is if Hagelin is traded or not. If we do sign Bones, then I think we may look to trade Hags. If we don't sign Bones, then it's more likely we keep Hags. We'll have 14 forwards either way.

Just to clarify -- does Sundqvist have to clear waivers to be sent down next year?

Yes Sunny is no longer waiver exempt

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Guentzel--Crosby--Sheary

You, sir, are one hell of an optimist :laugh:

Sundqvist, Rowney and Archibald will all need to clear waivers next year. Guentzel and Murray are currently the only guys on the roster who are waivers exempt.

Maybe we don't sign Kunitz, we trade Hagelin and don't bring a forward back, and otherwise stay pat. In which case, yes, you don't trade Kuhnhackl. But maybe we do sign Kunitz, keep Hagelin, sign/trade one of those physical guys that Rutherford's on about for the bottom six and then we've got some guys that need to go. All hypothetical either way but the potential is there.

If forwards are squeezed out, then Kuhnhackl for me is the loser. I wouldn't even have him starting in that line up you give - I'd rather have two guys who can play centre on the line and I prefer Archibald and his pace to Kuhnhackl.

edit: The roster as stands next year, assuming no trades and Kunitz and Bonino/a replacement staying, has 15 NHL forwards. Somebody's going. May not be Kuhnhackl but somebody's going.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
JimmyTwoTimes;133428617[B said:
]I like Kuhn but ZAR is gonna be a much better version of him and will produce big numbers. [/B] Eventually we are gonna have to start moving some of these guys unless we just let them walk after their contracts are up...which i rather wouldn't.

A lot of these guys have two cups already, if we can add them in part of a package for a solid dman or center...then do it.

Thats fine - when ZAR overtakes him, we can deal with Kuhn being an issue then - but there's no reason to deal with a problem that's not actually a problem.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Thats fine - when ZAR overtakes him, we can deal with Kuhn being an issue then - but there's no reason to deal with a problem that's not actually a problem.

Yeah whenever it happens...not referring to right now. Id just rather see us get something out of these guys rather than letting them walk when their contracts are up.

We have a ton of forwards and not enough room for all of them. So they have to decide which ones they see sticking around and who will be the guys left out. Use those assets to add dmen or draft picks going forward(still matters).

Not in a hurry to get rid of anyone ...like having the depth.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Bonino - 1 year deal?

New idea that I don't think anyone has mentioned regarding Bonino.

I would propose that we give him a 1 year, $5M, or maybe even $5.5M contract. He's coming off a mediocre statistical year and wasn't quite as productive or consistent as last year. Some team may offer him $4 or 4.5M on a 3-4 year deal, but no one is going to offer him $5M and I'm sure he would like to stay with the Pens all things being equal. If he believe he can be even better next year and prove himself even more, and the cap continuing to rise a little each year, he may decide it's worth taking more money for 1 year to stay with the Pens before signing a 3-4 year deal with another team.

Why do I propose this for the Pens? It's clear: Sunny isn't quite ready to replace Bones yet, but he won't need more than 1 more season. He can start on the 4th line, and he can start on the wing. Giving Sunny 1 year is the PERFECT solution for us. It doesn't tie our hands after next year when we need to extend Guentzel/Sprong/Rust/Wilson/Kuhn/Rowney, but gives us the depth we need right now to try to 3-peat.

If we could get Bones signed on a 1 year deal, I would trade Hagelin, and we still have about $4.2M in cap space with 13 forwards and 7D. So if we wanted to sign Kulikov or Del Zotto, we have the space.

Guentzel--Crosby--Sheary
Wilson--Malkin--Kessel
Rust--Bonino--Hornqvist
Kuhnhalck--Rowney--Sundqvist
Archibald(13th)

Dumo--Letang
Maatta--Schultz
Cole--(Pouliot/Ruhwedel)

That proposed line up has both Poo and Ruh each at $900K, a back up at $1.5M and the following -- Sheary @3M, Dumo @3.5M, Schultz @ 5M -- gives us about $4.2M in cap space. That gives us room to sign a guy like Kulikov or Del Zotto for a $3M kind of deal and be comfortably under the cap.

This is my new favourite idea if Bones would go for it! :)

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Bones is coming off a 20 goal 40 point season. He may have looked pretty lackluster doing it, but the numbers are the numbers. He also has a longstanding reputation as a big game player, even though he only had one or two of those in these past playoffs. He's a center with 2 Stanley Cups now and is viewed as a character guy.

Bonino will never be worth more than he is today and I'm sure his agent knows it. Guys who take 1 year deals normally have something to prove. Bones proved everything he's probably going to already.

Could he take a 1 year $5 million deal, then sign a 4 year $18 million deal next year? Maybe. But why take the risk? If he blows a knee out or has an awful season, his wallet's 8 figures lighter than if he does the safe thing and signs long-term for big money right now.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
New idea that I don't think anyone has mentioned regarding Bonino.

I would propose that we give him a 1 year, $5M, or maybe even $5.5M contract. He's coming off a mediocre statistical year and wasn't quite as productive or consistent as last year. Some team may offer him $4 or 4.5M on a 3-4 year deal, but no one is going to offer him $5M and I'm sure he would like to stay with the Pens all things being equal. If he believe he can be even better next year and prove himself even more, and the cap continuing to rise a little each year, he may decide it's worth taking more money for 1 year to stay with the Pens before signing a 3-4 year deal with another team.

Why do I propose this for the Pens? It's clear: Sunny isn't quite ready to replace Bones yet, but he won't need more than 1 more season. He can start on the 4th line, and he can start on the wing. Giving Sunny 1 year is the PERFECT solution for us. It doesn't tie our hands after next year when we need to extend Guentzel/Sprong/Rust/Wilson/Kuhn/Rowney, but gives us the depth we need right now to try to 3-peat.

If we could get Bones signed on a 1 year deal, I would trade Hagelin, and we still have about $4.2M in cap space with 13 forwards and 7D. So if we wanted to sign Kulikov or Del Zotto, we have the space.

Guentzel--Crosby--Sheary
Wilson--Malkin--Kessel
Rust--Bonino--Hornqvist
Kuhnhalck--Rowney--Sundqvist
Archibald(13th)

Dumo--Letang
Maatta--Schultz
Cole--(Pouliot/Ruhwedel)

That proposed line up has both Poo and Ruh each at $900K, a back up at $1.5M and the following -- Sheary @3M, Dumo @3.5M, Schultz @ 5M -- gives us about $4.2M in cap space. That gives us room to sign a guy like Kulikov or Del Zotto for a $3M kind of deal and be comfortably under the cap.

This is my new favourite idea if Bones would go for it! :)

Bolded is mental. No way is Bones worth anything approaching 5M even for 1 year. We could get Thornton for that much or less who is better in every way. The other contracts you have I think are pretty realistic, but man Bonino did almost nothing throughout the playoffs and you would give him 5M?

Getting attached to PK guys that lose on possession is how you get a Vitale - Adams Sill 4th line.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Do you guys think we could get Rieder? I've been a fan of him for a long time and I think he'd be a tremendous help on the penalty kill. Plus, he's a speedster with some upside.
Him being difficult in contract negotiations in the past might have soured the relationship with Arizona.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just thinking to myself, today could just be kinda busy or really freakin busy.
5PM list submission deadline...

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Throwing this up for people who like to read TSN Pens Off-season Plan:

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-pittsburgh-penguins-1.781051

Pretty shocked to see Cullen didn't buy any BS and listed Maatta and Kunitz as zeros... specifically mentions Kunitz 30+ game goal less streak.

Even throws out some numbers on why Guentzel's success isn't a big surprise. I was flabbergasted to see he scored lotsa points before being with Crosby. You guys and gals won't believe it either!

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
At the end of the day, we could just resign the RFAs and Ruhwedel and still have a damn good lineup overall. I wouldn't be a huge fan of the defensive and center depth, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Anything else they do is gravy in my mind.

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
Hagelin-Sundqvist-Horny
Wilson-Rowney-Kuhn
Archibald-ZAR-Sprong as the next guys up

Dumo-Tang
Cole-Schultz
Maata-Ruhwedel
Pouiliot

Murray
Jarry

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
At the end of the day, we could just resign the RFAs and Ruhwedel and still have a damn good lineup overall. I wouldn't be a huge fan of the defensive and center depth, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Anything else they do is gravy in my mind.

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
Hagelin-Sundqvist-Horny
Wilson-Rowney-Kuhn
Archibald-ZAR-Sprong as the next guys up

Dumo-Tang
Cole-Schultz
Maata-Ruhwedel
Pouiliot

Murray
Jarry

Yeah, that's a good lineup. Not great, not cup favorite, but good. It's silly to think we just need a 3c and second pairing defenseman and we go from that to awesome. It feels good to be a pens fan.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Yeah, that's a good lineup. Not great, not cup favorite, but good. It's silly to think we just need a 3c and second pairing defenseman and we go from that to awesome. It feels good to be a pens fan.

Even a solid third pairing guy would work. Really, you bring back Hainsey and you accomplish that. I would rather go with someone else as I hate his first pass, but it would work.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If Maatta stays, I'd go for more of an offensive D-man. Hainsey, Cole, Maatta and Dumoulin has a bit too much of the same for me. Maybe Daley will sign cheap. Or we can nab another reclamation project.

If we move Maatta, I'm comfortable with Hainsey and Cole taking on his minutes and role.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Throwing this up for people who like to read TSN Pens Off-season Plan:

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-pittsburgh-penguins-1.781051

Pretty shocked to see Cullen didn't buy any BS and listed Maatta and Kunitz as zeros... specifically mentions Kunitz 30+ game goal less streak.

Even throws out some numbers on why Guentzel's success isn't a big surprise. I was flabbergasted to see he scored lotsa points before being with Crosby. You guys and gals won't believe it either!

That was a good article until he started saying what the Penguins need. They need 2 top-9 forwards? Sprong on LW with Malkin and Kessel? Re-signing Hainsey?

I've actually been thinking about Kane a little bit. I think I'd change my position from "flat out no" to "yes if he costs nothing to trade for". Like if Hagelin and Pouliot for Kane would work, I'd say yes on trading for Kane. Put him with Crosby and Guentzel, play Rust with Malkin and Kessel and have Sheary and Horny be your 3rd line wing duo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad