Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread Pt. 5 | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Just bring in Ryan Miller as the backup. He will be one of the guys we add for us to "win a cup" for.

Will he want to leave the WC? His wife is an actress. I don't think too much of her, but she's still an actress who needs/wants to be in LA. He may not have a choice, but if he did, I suspect that he'd rather be on the west coast then on the east coast.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
This was a thought I just had, I think it's almost a guarantee that the tough guy the Penguins will bring in will be a winger. I don't see them adding a tough guy defenseman to be honest, the Penguins entire game is built off of puck moving defensemen and speed, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot by having a guy like Engelland on defense. At center, the Penguins really only need a 3C and they're going to need a guy who's not incompetent offensively, since he'll be playing with Sheary and Hornqvist most likely. But at wing, they could survive with having a slower tough guy. Look at how effective overall Bonino was in the last 2 years despite not being able to skate well. If you put someone like Foligno in the bottom-6, I don't think the Penguins become so damaged that they can't play to their identity (adding Engelland plus a Letang injury can certainly bring them close to being that damaged), plus the board play of the bottom-6 would improve.

Depends on our 4th line center imo. Because old man dad still had some decent wheels. We get a foligno and a Boyle let's say,our overall speed game drops significantly.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
This was a thought I just had, I think it's almost a guarantee that the tough guy the Penguins will bring in will be a winger. I don't see them adding a tough guy defenseman to be honest, the Penguins entire game is built off of puck moving defensemen and speed, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot by having a guy like Engelland on defense. At center, the Penguins really only need a 3C and they're going to need a guy who's not incompetent offensively, since he'll be playing with Sheary and Hornqvist most likely. But at wing, they could survive with having a slower tough guy. Look at how effective overall Bonino was in the last 2 years despite not being able to skate well. If you put someone like Foligno in the bottom-6, I don't think the Penguins become so damaged that they can't play to their identity (adding Engelland plus a Letang injury can certainly bring them close to being that damaged), plus the board play of the bottom-6 would improve.
are we going to use a winger to clear the front of the net? or stop players from running our goalie?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Sundqvist is going to be the Penguins 4th line center next year. It's almost a given IMO.

Yeah a lot soured on him after his play coming off his injury, but he was doing great offensively before that. And we already know he's solid defensively.

I think he will get back to playing like he did before his injury. He will get his chance since he can't be sent back down. And if its not working out we can make a trade.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
are we going to use a winger to clear the front of the net? or stop players from running our goalie?

Your points would be more valid if the Penguins hadn't won 2 cups in a row. But they did.

I seriously don't see toughness as an issue on this team. But JR does, so he can fix that. Under the pretense of wanting toughness, I want to bring in guys that impact how this team plays the absolute least. A defenseman wouldn't do that, he'd actually impact how this team plays the most. A bottom-6 winger, preferably a 4th liner, would do exactly that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad