Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread Pt. 5 | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
If Kerby Rychel's name is out there in a potential Leafs/Fla deal, and the pens have admitted they want some toughness that can play, it seems like a match made in heaven to me. Assuming the leafs don't try to gouge us, I would love to try and get Rychel at a reasonable price. I haven't thought about the ex draft implications though, and I guess the caveat is a rebuilding team like the leafs wants the kind of assets that aren't easy to give up right now.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
ColePens, for every rat you see, there is 50 that you don't. One issue that the second article fails to mention was the missing practice incident (hangover) from a trip to Toronto. You are right that he wouldn't mesh well, but I think you are wrong that he will mature. He was a major distraction with the Sabres. A leopard never changes his spots.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
I went through the first URL and here is what I gather:

1) Kane likes money and is okay flaunting it. He's young and rich and he flaunts it. While I don't love that, there's nothing that is actually wrong with it. He will grow up. He was trying to be "cool" tweeting at Floyd Mayweather. It definitely wasn't cool and not the culture of hockey players. But it's not illegal or anything I haven't seen before.

It seems people don't love his take on the business. He is business first. While owners will buy players out, cut them, trade them to get rid of their contracts, etc... he is business first, too. Why is that bad?

2) Every other accusation against him had ZERO backing. Not a single real source or issue. A lot of it was based on people not liking his attitude. But there was 0 actual evidence in any of those incidents on the time line.

I don't think he'd mesh well with the Pens locker because it's a hockey first locker room, but I do think he could adapt. It really depends on if he's matured over the last 5 years. But people calling him a cancer and a bad influence are wrong. I'll look into the 2nd link you put out there.

I am actually shocked by the pushback on this. Maybe since I work in Buffalo and live just across the border and get Canadian TV, I thought these issues were more common knowledge than they are. Way too many red flags in my mind.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
ColePens, for every rat you see, there is 50 that you don't. One issue that the second article fails to mention was the missing practice incident (hangover) from a trip to Toronto. You are right that he wouldn't mesh well, but I think you are wrong that he will mature. He was a major distraction with the Sabres. A leopard never changes his spots.

I'm about to jump into the 2nd one and read it. I just try to keep my opinion open until I see 100% proof. Do I see a lot of smoke? Yes. Do I see a lot of smoke that was actually already put out and determined to be wrong? Yes.

From the first article all I see is that he is a kid and is business first. While I do not love what he focuses on, I do not feel locker room cancer is a fair assessment. He's selfish. Sure.

I have seen guys like this who have matured and guys who have figured it out, especially in other sports. The organization and winning could do that. A leader in the locker room like Sid can do that.

I'm not for or against getting Kane. But if it's one year, I feel like we could handle whatever issues are there.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
So today was pretty disappointing. Was hoping something big will happen. Not getting my hopes up for after the expansions draft now either.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
If the Penguins can't retain Schultz I wouldn't mind seeing them swap Maatta and a 3rd round pick for Christopher Tanev to replace Schultz on the right-side of the second pairing.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So today was pretty disappointing. Was hoping something big will happen. Not getting my hopes up for after the expansions draft now either.

I like boring. I hope it's boring for a lot of teams and the Pens do what they need to do. That way we go into next year with a nice chance.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
If the Penguins can't retain Schultz I wouldn't mind seeing them swap Maatta and a 3rd round pick for Christopher Tanev to replace Schultz on the right-side of the second pairing.

So if the Pens lose one defenseman, you want to fix that by giving up a second defenseman?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It sounds like Beaulieu is developing at the pace of a Shero drafted dmen. It takes a decade for puck moving dmen to develop!

Maybe the Pens should try to trade Poiliot for a second rounder before his value diminishes even more.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

No. If Schultz is gone they need to find a replacement for his offense. Maatta for Tanev could just make it worse and they can't have Letang be the only notable offensive threat on the backend. They'd have to trade Schultz and add a defensemen through that or the return.

So if the Pens lose one defenseman, you want to fix that by giving up a second defenseman?

And this.

I'd be shocked if Schultz was a problem. The best, likely to happen scenario I can see is them adding to the group they have.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
It sounds like Beaulieu is developing at the pace of a Shero drafted dmen. It takes a decade for puck moving dmen to develop!

Maybe the Pens should try to trade Poiliot for a second rounder before his value diminishes even more.

3rd at best

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Shop opens again on Thursday at 08.00 (unless you are dealing with Vegas), bring your waifs and strays and see if they can find a new home.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I still say we use Pouliot to entice LV to take Fleury in the draft.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Great day for Vegas.
Not much movement means alotta teams are calling them with offers to lay off certain guys.
Seen it tweeted earlier by one of the insiders that a GM told him Vegas already has three 1st rd picks in their back pocket already.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Do you guys remember when Vegas is expected to announce all of the deals they made with their respective teams?

I recall the NHL discouraging GMs to announce anything until the lists have been officially submitted. Then we'll have a better idea about what is going on with Fleury (eg. a trade involving more than just Fleury going to Vegas or just agreement to select him).

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Do you guys remember when Vegas is expected to announce all of the deals they made with their respective teams?

I recall the NHL discouraging GMs to announce anything until the lists have been officially submitted. Then we'll have a better idea about what is going on with Fleury (eg. a trade involving more than just Fleury going to Vegas or just agreement to select him).

The NHL wants to make a show out of it so all deals and picks will be announced on the 21st.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I went through the first URL and here is what I gather:

1) Kane likes money and is okay flaunting it. He's young and rich and he flaunts it. While I don't love that, there's nothing that is actually wrong with it. He will grow up. He was trying to be "cool" tweeting at Floyd Mayweather. It definitely wasn't cool and not the culture of hockey players. But it's not illegal or anything I haven't seen before.

It seems people don't love his take on the business. He is business first. While owners will buy players out, cut them, trade them to get rid of their contracts, etc... he is business first, too. Why is that bad?

2) Every other accusation against him had ZERO backing. Not a single real source or issue. A lot of it was based on people not liking his attitude. But there was 0 actual evidence in any of those incidents on the time line.

I don't think he'd mesh well with the Pens locker because it's a hockey first locker room, but I do think he could adapt. It really depends on if he's matured over the last 5 years. But people calling him a cancer and a bad influence are wrong. I'll look into the 2nd link you put out there.

It doesn't bother me that Kane's a merc, but in his short time in Buffalo, Kane's been investigated for two felonies--rape (DA dropped this charge due to lack of evidence) and felonious assault (this is ongoing afaik).

Even if the second investigation is dropped, it begs the question of why a guy who had a reputation as a bad apple in three other cities and one other country keeps ending up as the target in felony inquiries.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It doesn't bother me that Kane's a merc, but in his short time in Buffalo, Kane's been investigated for two felonies--rape (DA dropped this charge due to lack of evidence) and felonious assault (this is ongoing afaik).

The second one was dropped last I heard.

The merc part bothers me... but only to an extent. It's his life and the money he makes now needs to last him for the rest of his life. So while I don't find this quality to be a good one... I have a hard time faulting him for it.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

Even if the second investigation is dropped, it begs the question of why a guy who had a reputation as a bad apple in three other cities and one other country keeps ending up as the target in felony inquiries.

Yeah, even if he's not convicted of anything more often than not where there's repeated smoke there's fire. When it's always the same guy getting accused of stuff like this over and over it's hard to ignore.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Great day for Vegas.
Not much movement means alotta teams are calling them with offers to lay off certain guys.
Seen it tweeted earlier by one of the insiders that a GM told him Vegas already has three 1st rd picks in their back pocket already.

Saw that as well. Im guessing that Vegas swaps a lot of assets at the draft. One of the many top 4 defenseman they draft plus a first rounder could get them some nice forward talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad