2017-18 Playoff Watch

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Such a confident feeling after the Blues lost to Chicago, now its the opposite.

Just win because obviously playoffs, and secondly so we dont go nuts here playing Avs "what if" scenarios all summer.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Lets just say I think it's more likely the Avs are the ones pulling the goalie.

I actually don't think so, but I'm more of the optimist here.

The funniest situation would be the Blues losing tonight and the Avs only needing 1 point and no ROW from the Blues to clinch... get it into overtime and have Girard just play keepaway with spin moves!

Reactions: McMetal and cgf

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Isn't the only way OT has to be avoided is if the Blues get a ROW tonight? Forcing the AVS to win in regulation.

If the Avs win in regulation or overtime, they are in not matter what. If they win in a shootout, St Louis can pass based on ROW if they get a ROW tonight. If they don't, the Avs just need to win.

Now if St Louis loses in regulation tonight, the Avs can lose to St Louis in a shootout and still make the playoffs.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

The funniest situation would be the Blues losing tonight and the Avs only needing 1 point and no ROW from the Blues to clinch... get it into overtime and have Girard just play keepaway with spin moves!

If the Blues win in any fashion they have the tie breaker I believe?

It's head to head..

To expand (in your scenario) if STL loses tonight in regulation, and wins against the Avs in any fashion they'd have the head to head break at 3-1 (with the first game getting chopped). It would have to be 2-2 for it to move to goal differential.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If the Blues win in any fashion they have the tie breaker I believe?

It's head to head..

To expand (in your scenario) if STL loses tonight in regulation, and wins against the Avs in any fashion they'd have the head to head break at 3-1 (with the first game getting chopped). It would have to be 2-2 for it to move to goal differential.

You're right the head to head would push St Louis ahead.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
1. Yes - actually no. We need to get a ROW, not a regulation win.
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Sure as hell hope so

in scenario 1 you need regulation win.

if blues and avs are tied by avs winning in overtime, blues win head to head tiebreaker even after throwing out first game-
blues would be 2-1-1 5 points- avs 2-2 4 points.

if blues get row vs chicago, you need a regulation win.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
For clarification purposes:

If St Louis gets a ROW win tonight, the Avs only make it if they win in Regulation Saturday?

If St Louis gets a shootout win tonight, the Avs can make it if they win before shootout? (96 points each, but 41 ROW for the Avs)

If St Louis only gets one point tonight, the Avs can make it with a win in any fashion?

If St Louis gets no points, the Avs still have to win in any fashion?

Mackinnon has 0 goals in 9 games...thats a 0 goal pace over 82 games. He is due for a big game and some bounces.
all your scenarios are correct.

a loss or loser point does nothing for blues and its just winner of avs blues game is in

a row for blues against chicago means all they neednis a point against avs.

a shootout win vs chicago means blues just need avs to not get a row as blues advance with a win or taking the game to a shootout

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

the avs need to win no matter what. if blues dont get row, they are still at 40, avs still at 40.

if blues beat avs in overtime, both teams are tied in points and row and blues win second tiebreaker which is gead to head.

there is no scenario where avs get in withhout beating blues. there are scenarios where blues get in without beatong avs if they beat chicago

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
If the Avs win in regulation or overtime, they are in not matter what. If they win in a shootout, St Louis can pass based on ROW if they get a ROW tonight. If they don't, the Avs just need to win.

Now if St Louis loses in regulation tonight, the Avs can lose to St Louis in a shootout and still make the playoffs.
avs arent in with overtime win if teams are tied in row.

second tiebreaker would be head to head and if blues lose in overtime, theyd be 2-1-1(5points) vs avs 2-2 (4points).

the overtime loserpoint still counts in head to head

in event of tie- avs have to have more row than blues because as long as blues get a loser point in overtime, they have head to head tiebreaker- its impossible for the 2 teams to come down to goal differential tiebreaker

same if blues lose to chicago but beat avs in shootout

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, Avs have to win tomorrow no matter what.

The only difference is, depending on what the blues do tonight, HOW the Avs need to win tomorrow (regulation, OT, or shootout)

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Its going to be sad when the Avalanche get blown out tomorrow since we all just crunched the numbers.

I kid though, tomorrow MacKinnon will make us forget about the last 9

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Part of me is hoping for that scenario :laugh:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Not expecting us to suddenly flip a switch because it’s a do or die game, that’s not how things work. Will take a miracle to not play like we have played for each and every minute of the past two-three weeks.

Reactions: Oxymoron

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Avs don't manage to beat St Louis they don't deserve to welcome their Nashville overlords. It'll be fun to see where they are at.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00