Waived: 2017-18 Ongoing Waivers Thread

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Thanks. Always hear fans worried they will lose someone on waivers but it just doesn't seem to happen to often

Yeah, at this time of the year, there's probably like 150-200 players that have to go through waivers to start the year. But each season only maybe 2 or 3 max get claimed (before the regular season).

There's certainly a lot of potential future depth NHLers in the group, but every team has their own types of those players that they have to waive.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Yeah, at this time of the year, there's probably like 150-200 players that have to go through waivers to start the year. But each season only maybe 2 or 3 max get claimed (before the regular season).

There's certainly a lot of potential future depth NHLers in the group, but every team has their own types of those players that they have to waive.

Makes a lot of sense....thanks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So the #10 and #11 pick from the 2010 Draft are on waivers

And only 2 of the top 11 picks from that year are still with the team that drafted them (Skinner with CAR and Granlund with MIN). That was 7 drafts ago. These are 25 year olds.

Of the 2010 draft, only 10 of the first rounders are still with their original teams. Additional 8 are:

Fowler, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Watson, Bjudstad, Kuznetsov, Sheahan, Nelson.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I can totally see Campbell being picked up. He was a ahl all star last year and had a good preseason

That would require someone to have a goalie in the NHL that is worse than him
Possible but unlikely anybody is going to risk to find out.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I still have nightmares from watching McBackup as a Duck. Admittedly he is better than me, but then I have never played goal, so that is not saying much.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Tomorrow might be a landmark at for waivers. Teams have been hoarding players since the deadline last season. Free agency was weak. Teams will be making claims.

A key factor is the change in game speed because of the stick rule enforcement. Teams need to be faster. A lot of vets are going to be discarded before long. Speed and youth will become premium commodities, even more than before.

Aug 10, 2015
Tomorrow might be a landmark at for waivers. Teams have been hoarding players since the deadline last season. Free agency was weak. Teams will be making claims.

A key factor is the change in game speed because of the stick rule enforcement. Teams need to be faster. A lot of vets are going to be discarded before long. Speed and youth will become premium commodities, even more than before.

While I admit I haven't paid close attention to any training camp but the Oilers...aren't most teams close to their final roster by now anyway? Can't be too many more cuts/waived players are there? Or do most teams still have significant cuts to make (and players to be waived)?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

No it won't! There are always this many players on waivers, every single year. Each team has at least 5-15 players that need to clear waivers to do down to the AHL, which is why so few are claimed this time of year. I think there have only been 2 or 3 claimed in this preseason, and there have already been many players waived.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
No it won't! There are always this many players on waivers, every single year. Each team has at least 5-15 players that need to clear waivers to do down to the AHL, which is why so few are claimed this time of year. I think there have only been 2 or 3 claimed in this preseason, and there have already been many players waived.
Only one claimed so far! Nolan to Buffalo

I don't think it's fair to say there are "so few are claimed this time of year" though. In fact I'd say it's the second busiest time of the year for waiver claims, second only to the Trade/AHL Deadline.

We can certainly expect more soon (I'd say tomorrow).
There's been lots of waivers, but the are always a lot more right before the season starts, and there are still a lot of waiver-eligible players that need to find a spot.

Last year there were 6 pre-season claims, and 5 were the day before the seasons started (the sixth was just 3 days before).
Two years ago there were 5, and 3 of them came the day before (another was 5 days before, and the other was 10 days before).
Three years ago there 3, with 1 coming the day before (another 1 coming 3 days before , and the other was 6 days).
Four years ago there were 4, and 1 come the day before (1 came 2 days before and the 2 came 8 days before).
Etc.

Now again, we've only had 1 so far, and that happened 7 days before the season started. We're now 2 days away, so we're due for some more claims, if only a couple.
I suspect with the higher-than-normal roster turnover this off-season (due to expansion), we'll see a decent amount of waiver activity at the last second, since teams might be a little unsure about depth, but I could be wrong of course.

Last edited:

Vintage93

Apr 2, 2006
Toronto
Leafs waivers: Greening, LoVerde, Mueller, Rychel, B.Smith, Sparks

https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/news/maple-leafs-reduce-roster/c-291508332
The only one who has a chance to be claimed is Rychel but other than being a former 1st rounder... he doesn't have many attractive qualities.

A team expected to be at the bottom of the league may give him a 'change of scenery' type chance but I'm sure there are going to be better options out there. Pretty underwhelming camp.

He does have some bottom 6 potential though. Just not showing it now.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I wouldn't mind Detroit picking up Rychel. I would rather give him a shot long term than Witkowski and Booth short term.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
Predicting these waiver claims is a tough one, if only because of the timing of the waiver wire. As fans, it's easy to just clamor for your team to claim a guy you think is pretty decent. But other than the fact the most rosters are usually pretty cemented when these guys hit the wire, there's the cultural component of this as well. What I mean by that is you want to create a competitive environment during training camp where jobs can be won and lost. Telling someone they "won" a job after creating that expectation, just to turn around and give that spot to some random that was let go elsewhere, is a bad message to send to the room. Winning teams are always cognizant of what culture they're creating, and you have to be wary of whether a claim is going to screw up that culture and message that you send to the room...even if it's a good "business" move to claim a guy that could help.

As for the Bruins, there's rumblings that Frank Vatrano might get put on waivers. I don't know how he possibly clears waivers, just based on age/potential alone. He's only 23, and he's already established himself as a GPG player in the NHL (38 Goals in 38 AHL Games). He might be one of those guys that never translates that success to the next level, but at his age, I just can't see 30 NHL teams passing on a chance to find out if he can score consistently at this level.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
As for the Bruins, there's rumblings that Frank Vatrano might get put on waivers. I don't know how he possibly clears waivers, just based on age/potential alone. He's only 23, and he's already established himself as a GPG player in the NHL (38 Goals in 38 AHL Games). He might be one of those guys that never translates that success to the next level, but at his age, I just can't see 30 NHL teams passing on a chance to find out if he can score consistently at this level.
I can't see a possible scenario where Vatrano goes unclaimed.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
I can't see a possible scenario where Vatrano goes unclaimed.

Unfortunately me neither. I look at a club like Vegas that is deep on D and relatively short on scoring depth. No way I don't give Vatrano 20 games to see if he's the real deal. What do you have to lose? You don't really have a culture established there yet, and really everything is up for grabs at this point since no one has even played a single regular season game for the organization. I don't know where McPhee's head is at in regards to bringing in new bodies just before Opening Night, but I'd be surprised if he's not taking a long hard look at the names that hit the waiver wire. There are going to be players that are "better" than guys he has penciled in right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad