Waived: 2017-18 Ongoing Waivers Thread

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Little shocked that Curtis MCKENZIE is on waivers. Really like his skill set. Sort of an ANDERSON type player. Would be an upgrade over DORSETT for me.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I always liked Matt Read but no is going to take on $3.6m for what he brings.

I hope Subban clears because I think he might be something after another year of development.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Interesting Booth earned a contract and then got waived. I'm sure they discussed it first, just not typical procedure for a successful PTO.

And here I was thinking Pedan was actually going to make opening night!

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Interesting Booth earned a contract and then got waived. I'm sure they discussed it first, just not typical procedure for a successful PTO.

And here I was thinking Pedan was actually going to make opening night!

I'm confused as both Booth and Sproul were waived. Detroit is at a 21 man roster right now if I'm not mistaken? I'm not sure what reason there was to waive them both

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Sproul was probably going to get waived anyway. Holland said he would carry 7 Dmen this season, and Sproul was pretty much #8.

Tough break for him. He struggled a bit last season, but showed some flashed on the PP in a handful of games. He missed a big opportunity to show what he can do last season when he got hurt right after the Wings traded Smith away. Probably won't get claimed. and if he doesn't play 52 or more games this season, he can be a UFA after this season.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I feel bad for Pulkkinen, the guy can't catch a break. I don't know what the teams expect from him. Scoring doesn't seem to be enough.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I feel bad for Pulkkinen, the guy can't catch a break. I don't know what the teams expect from him. Scoring doesn't seem to be enough.
He has 13 goals scored in 83 games.

If put that up all in one season, he'd be sticking around more, but he doesn't have an all-around game enough to crack a team for a full season

But in comparison, Devin Shore, Troy Brouwer, Jay Beagle, Brian Boyle... they all put up 13 goals in ~83 games last season. I wouldn't call them goal scorers, and they all bring something else to the table that Pulks doesn't

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm confused as both Booth and Sproul were waived. Detroit is at a 21 man roster right now if I'm not mistaken? I'm not sure what reason there was to waive them both

Might be to give them flexibility with max LTIR relief/etc. Could also be like 07/08 where they waived Aaron Downey (and then eventually Mat Ellis) every 30 or so days so they could have the flexibility to assign him and call someone up short term if they couldn't use IR or an emergency call up. Even though they have under 23 guys, they may run into issues with the cap and recalls...

According to Ansar Khan, Booth is practicing with the team today and appears to be slated for the 4th line LW spot to open the season. He also reported that Sproul is still with the team , but not practicing and might be having issues with his knee again. He might stick around for now since Kronwall is unlikely to be ready for the opener and Jensen is a maybe. They do however have Witkowski practicing on D today, so who knows.

Last edited:

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
Well Pulu it's time to go to KHL and earn some good money and play for Finland in the olympics.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I'm gonna go ahead and say Curtis Mckenzie gets claimed. There's a slight chance Matt Read does but I doubt it with that cap hit.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Pulkinen, Rychel, Conacher, Di Giuseppe? It's waiver wire time!

If I were in charge in Vegas (or a rebuilding team) I would be sure to have some roster spots available every training camp, and then claim some guys like these. But from the look of things, maybe 2 get claimed, if not less. So strange to me.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Is Chicago allowed to waive Berube? I'm pretty sure the CBA states you must keep him up in the NHL as a 3rd goaltender and create a massive issue amongst your goalies.
Still time for the Islanders to claim

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Booth signed a 2-way deal. The Wings could want him in the AHL for callup depth, or they may just want to have the flexibility to send him down later without going through waivers again.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
13 goals in 83 career games doesn't exactly scream goal scorer.
You are, of course, right. Still, you have to take in the account the way he has been utilized, which has mostly been fourth line minutes with fourth line talent. That just sets him up for a failure. Just wish some team would give him a proper chance, then there wouldn't be all these "what ifs" in my mind.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Pulkkinen is a KHL player. He's going to have the open ice he needs over there.

I think someone might claim Martinsen.. wouldn't even be surprised if it's Colorado.

Di Giuseppe is also an interesting name, i remember him scoring a few big goals for the Canes and he seems like a decent depth guy.

I guess Avs could take a chance on guys like Sproul or Nemeth.

Also this has been coming for Read.. i remember last year already when Hakstol said he has to bring something to the lineup to deserve a spot.. indicating there's not much he contributes to the team at this point. The new guys forced him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad