Waived: 2017-18 Ongoing Waivers Thread

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
OK. I thought there was a separate category for buyouts.

Unconditional Waivers is a separate type of waiver then Regular Waivers. And Unconditional Waivers are required before a buyout. However Unconditional Waivers can be used without a buyout. The only difference between the two types is how much $ a team must pay if they win a waiver claim. Unconditional Waivers is $500, while Regular Waivers has a sliding scale depending on player position and years of experience that range from a few thousand to nearly six figures.

Reactions: Mike Jones

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I this a new thing when it comes to dealing with RFAs?
Nah, it happens once or twice a year for arbitration.
It's a strategy to lower a player's value before they head into arb ("see! no one even wanted him for free on waivers! why would we pay him as much as he wants?")

Gemel goes to arbitration August 1

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Nah, it happens once or twice a year for arbitration.
It's a strategy to lower a player's value before they head into arb ("see! no one even wanted him for free on waivers! why would we pay him as much as he wants?")

Gemel goes to arbitration August 1
Weird - I didn't know it happened before. For some reason this is the offseason I've noticed it.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Guess I should make a new thread for this season

Figured this was coming as it was reported yesterday he showed up in unacceptable shape and was immediately assigned to the AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad