2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Any combination on the third line of Iafallo/Kempe/Amadio/Lewis/Vilardi is either too young or too redundant in terms of size/skill set.

Kings either need to get a good 3C, or hope one of Amadio/Kempe/Vilardi can develop into the role by season's end or else they have no chance in the playoffs IMO.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It’ll be interesting to see where Vilardi ends up playing throughout training camp and preseason.

They have the option of shifting either one of Vilardi, Kempe, even Carter, to play wing. A lineup I’d like to see experimented with in camp/preseason would spread the depth around and distribute ice time, four lines deep.

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Brown
Iafallo-Carter-Vilardi
Pearson-Kempe-Toffoli
Clifford-Thompson-Lewis
Spares: Amadio-Brodzinski

Since we don’t know the status of Voynov, and if he does face additional suspension, then I’d expect the blueline to be:

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Martinez
Phaneuf-LaDue
Fantenberg

Getting Voynov back in place of LaDue would be like upgrading from a Camry to a Maserati.

Reactions: King Trouty

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
This year? I don't see that happening, and you value our players too highly.
You can get a 1st rounder for each of Muzzin, Carter and Toffoli.
You seem to undervalue our guys.. don’t think for a second we can flip Carter for 1st, prospect + package or Muzzin for a 1st + top prospect... production + salary + much sought after 2C/2D = big returns .. just look at what past trades have brought in and name how many of those players are better than the two I’ve mentioned.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
It's exciting to see the roster possibilities this fall - I can't wait. I don't expect Vilardi to have a Calder-type season but he's an infusion of talent into this roster. Amadio/Iafallo/Brodzinski and to a smaller extent, Kempe should contribute more and hopefully don't suffer the sophomore slump too much.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
Toffoli really only plays well with Carter, hence the down year with Carter missing 55 games. If you want to move Pearson down, that's fine, but who comes up? Vilardi? That's a lot of now unnecessary pressure on a kid.
Another good reason why Toffoli needs to be moved out. He's way too inconsistent and really one dimensional. If you set him up with all the time and space in the world he'll be great but as the crunch time heats up and none of that is there he fails prolifically.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I’m curious on why toffoli gets demoted? Had a down year and lots of people getting sour on him.

I would be more worried about Pearson... wildly inconsistent efforts, results not there. He really isn’t great at one thing...

Maybe it’s Time to look at revamping the second line wings. If they don’t bounce back it doesn’t matter who we add.
Pearson can score in front of the net,Toffoli I'm more worried about overall.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
Another good reason why Toffoli needs to be moved out. He's way too inconsistent and really one dimensional. If you set him up with all the time and space in the world he'll be great but as the crunch time heats up and none of that is there he fails prolifically.

He might be one dimensional but it’s a need for the kings. Pearson has Been more inconsistent and really doesn’t excel at anything. He is a solid player, but we need skill in the top 6 imo.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
It’ll be interesting to see where Vilardi ends up playing throughout training camp and preseason.

They have the option of shifting either one of Vilardi, Kempe, even Carter, to play wing. A lineup I’d like to see experimented with in camp/preseason would spread the depth around and distribute ice time, four lines deep.

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Brown
Iafallo-Carter-Vilardi
Pearson-Kempe-Toffoli
Clifford-Thompson-Lewis
Spares: Amadio-Brodzinski

Since we don’t know the status of Voynov, and if he does face additional suspension, then I’d expect the blueline to be:

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Martinez
Phaneuf-LaDue
Fantenberg

Getting Voynov back in place of LaDue would be like upgrading from a Camry to a Maserati.
Brodzinski Needs top 6 minutes to be effective, I don't see him in LA, it's to crowed.Probably put in a trade.

Reactions: KingsHockey24

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
He might be one dimensional but it’s a need for the kings. Pearson has Been more inconsistent and really doesn’t excel at anything. He is a solid player, but we need skill in the top 6 imo.
Actually we need Pearson in the top 6 scoring those dirty goals like Brown.Toffoli i would consider trading depending on the player coming back.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Brodz could be effective on the third line with a puck distributor like Vilardi or Amadio, but he's just taking up space otherwise, at least he won't reach his potential. He's a good cheap forward though, and we'll need those for a couple years with the CAP issues. I'm expecting both Amadio and Brodzinski on the team this year, there is nothing left for them to do in the AHL.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Any combination on the third line of Iafallo/Kempe/Amadio/Lewis/Vilardi is either too young or too redundant in terms of size/skill set.

Kings either need to get a good 3C, or hope one of Amadio/Kempe/Vilardi can develop into the role by season's end or else they have no chance in the playoffs IMO.

Maybe, but where do they get playing time otherwise? We need to break these kids in, and some of them aren't kids anymore. We also don't know if that's TRULY redundant because there is definitely some high offensive potential there from every single one of those guys--maybe, for example, someone like Iafallo absolutely thrives this year in "third-line" minutes instead of having to face the toughest opposition in the league next to Kopitar. At some point, you've gotta 'gamble' by getting them playing time. I don't think you're wrong necessarily, I see your point, and totally agree that one of those guys (or all of them, truly) have to grow into that role. They've gotta do it sometime anyway as Kopitar/Carter et. al. age.

Brodz could be effective on the third line with a puck distributor like Vilardi or Amadio, but he's just taking up space otherwise, at least he won't reach his potential. He's a good cheap forward though, and we'll need those for a couple years with the CAP issues. I'm expecting both Amadio and Brodzinski on the team this year, there is nothing left for them to do in the AHL.

I think it's shit or get off the pot time for both Brodzinski and Ladue, maybe others. If they don't make the team with an impact out of camp, I'd expect them to be gone.

Reactions: deaderhead28

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
Actually we need Pearson in the top 6 scoring those dirty goals like Brown.Toffoli i would consider trading depending on the player coming back.
My point is he doesn’t score too many goals outside of 1 season. We need him to, but I’m doubting the capability.

I would consider trading both of them

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
You can get a 1st rounder for each of Muzzin, Carter and Toffoli.
You seem to undervalue our guys.. don’t think for a second we can flip Carter for 1st, prospect + package or Muzzin for a 1st + top prospect... production + salary + much sought after 2C/2D = big returns .. just look at what past trades have brought in and name how many of those players are better than the two I’ve mentioned.
As I said, this year? The Kings are going for it now. I don't see them moving any of those guys other than Toffoli, maybe. I suppose if Panarin truly becomes available to the Kings, but I don't see Columbus wanting any of those players. They are going to want Vilardi, Kempe, and a 1st.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm still thinking Blake is still looking for another winger, the Skinner reports haven't died yet.

Thought it was an interesting report that the reason the Patches deal fell through was apparently unreasonable contract demands, so I'm feeling a little better about 3 years for Kovy vs. 7-8 years for Patches.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
Can't trade both,you lose top 6 fwd depth.Who you going to replace them with?

Well spots would be filled with a trades. Also Kempe or Vilardi could replace/injury fill the other depending on who plays 3C.

I’m basically saying I think we need a revamp of the second line.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm still thinking Blake is still looking for another winger, the Skinner reports haven't died yet.

Thought it was an interesting report that the reason the Patches deal fell through was apparently unreasonable contract demands, so I'm feeling a little better about 3 years for Kovy vs. 7-8 years for Patches.
Every 29+ age player is looking for the 8-year retirement contract. GMs would be wise to avoid them.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Signing Kovalchuck makes Toffoli expendable in a trade for another winger. We could package Toffoli and Martinez out to move salary and pick up Skinner or possibly even Panarin. And TBH, I wouldn't be opposed to moving our first this year in the right deal, just go all in at this point.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Does everyone forget much of Toffoli’s best year happened next to Kopitar and Lucic?

I’m lukewarm on him right now too, but he has produced away from Carter.

Reactions: lexlavender

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010

This rumors of contract negotiations is strange.Dennis Bernstein said he talk to Patches agent and agent said there were no teams engaged in negotiations.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
IMG_2406.jpg

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Maybe, but where do they get playing time otherwise? We need to break these kids in, and some of them aren't kids anymore. We also don't know if that's TRULY redundant because there is definitely some high offensive potential there from every single one of those guys--maybe, for example, someone like Iafallo absolutely thrives this year in "third-line" minutes instead of having to face the toughest opposition in the league next to Kopitar. At some point, you've gotta 'gamble' by getting them playing time. I don't think you're wrong necessarily, I see your point, and totally agree that one of those guys (or all of them, truly) have to grow into that role. They've gotta do it sometime anyway as Kopitar/Carter et. al. age.
I agree. I'm looking at it from the organization's perspective (win now), not mine (reload/rebuild). If it were up to me Amadio and Brodz would be given major opportunities. But if you're trying to win now, you clearly need a 3C.

Do you really think Stevens is going to give them the proper chance? (He did with Iafallo, and was forced to with Kempe).

Personally, I would like to see Amadio given more of a shot a the 3C spot and Kempe moved to wing.

I think it's **** or get off the pot time for both Brodzinski and Ladue, maybe others. If they don't make the team with an impact out of camp, I'd expect them to be gone.
Have these guys really been given the chance? Why does Iafallo get a chance to play on the top line but Brodzinski doesn't? Brodzinski has some natural finishing ability and hasn't looked out of place in his limited time. I have no delusions about the player he is, but I don't see why he shouldn't have been given the same chance as Iafallo. Especially when we desperately needed skilled wingers.

I watched Iafallo botch plenty of scoring opportunities that I think JB would've had a better chance at burying.

But why? How would another winger help the team more than a center would? (From a win now perspective)

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree. I'm looking at it from the organization's perspective (win now), not mine (reload/rebuild). If it were up to me Amadio and Brodz would be given major opportunities. But if you're trying to win now, you clearly need a 3C.

Do you really think Stevens is going to give them the proper chance? (He did with Iafallo, and was forced to with Kempe).

Personally, I would like to see Amadio given more of a shot a the 3C spot and Kempe moved to wing.

I think he will due to force. Who else is there, you know? Let them compete, I think that's fair. I fully expect him to 'promote' Amadio and the kids who were around all last year to whatever degree he can.

Have these guys really been given the chance? Why does Iafallo get a chance to play on the top line but Brodzinski doesn't? Brodzinski has some natural finishing ability and hasn't looked out of place in his limited time. I have no delusions about the player he is, but I don't see why he shouldn't have been given the same chance as Iafallo. Especially when we disparately needed skilled wingers.

I watched Iafallo botch plenty of scoring opportunities that I think JB would've had a better chance at burying.

I don't think they have, no, but they also haven't really earned it. It's kind of a tough chicken and egg thing--for a while, I think most of us were in agreement that even though Iafallo wasn't scoring himself his tenacity and motor was enabling Kopitar and Brown. As the season went on that waned a bit but he looked to get more control/confidence of his shot. I wouldn't be shocked to see 15 goals out of Iafallo this year. When Brodz wasn't scoring, he looked pretty lost imo, or at least looked like a tweener. He's gotta assert himself because right now he looks like a vanilla player with no real NHL identity. I definitely would like to see him get some 'real' time in as you suggest to see what we have before we throw him to the scrap heap though, but right now he's simply looking like Scott Parse.

But why? How would another winger help the team more than a center would? (From a win now perspective)

I'm not saying it would myself, just that every rumor is a scoring winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad