2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Given that the off-season has ended and that thread was our "go-to" place for the discussion of Kings news, I felt compelled to start a new topic to discuss any news, rumors and other anecdotal info pertaining to the team.

To kick things off, Elliotte Friedman has some Kings related info to share in his 31 thoughts column.

7. Two years ago, Los Angeles and San Jose were among those who asked Boston about Zdeno Chara. Last summer, I think there were others. (There were rumblings about Toronto, but that was refuted by everyone involved. So don’t go crazy on it.) If the Bruins continue to struggle, it will only heat up. But GM Don Sweeney re-iterated on the weekend that his plan is to re-sign the future Hall of Famer and talks are under way to do so.

24. Impressive, under-the-radar first-couple-of-weeks player: Alex Iafalo, Los Angeles. An NCAA free agent. “Looks like a lot of us missed on him,” one exec said.

Concerning Chara, I guess it should come as no surprise the Kings have also been linked to having held talks with Ottawa about Dion Phaneuf. If I were to guess, it would likely be a case of both teams wanting to get out of a bad contract, with Gaborik being the contract the Kings would want to get out of.

Speaking of Gaborik, I posted this is another thread, but Jon Rosen posted a picture on twitter of Gaborik taking the ice at Toyota Sports Center, prior to the Kings' practice.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
There is also the TSN and LaKingsInsider report that the Kings have discussed internally moving either Martinez or Muzzin for a forward to help with scoring. I think this is an issue the Kings will explore closer to the trade deadline, once they know whether LaDue, Gravel or MacDaddy are ready to step up and play big minutes.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
There is also the TSN and LaKingsInsider report that the Kings have discussed internally moving either Martinez or Muzzin for a forward to help with scoring. I think this is an issue the Kings will explore closer to the trade deadline, once they know whether LaDue, Gravel or MacDaddy are ready to step up and play big minutes.

They really do need some of the prospects in the pipeline to pan out and play bigger roles. I was hoping for so much more from LaDue and Gravel, yet they were outperformed in camp/preseason by MacDermid, who appears to be an adequate Matt Greene replacement.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I want to see more from Muzzin this year before they consider moving him. He can be such a good defenseman at times. I'm hoping what we've seen from him recently is just an aberration, if it's not then you have to move him while he still has good value. He's well regarded around the league IMO.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I want to see more from Muzzin this year before they consider moving him. He can be such a good defenseman at times. I'm hoping what we've seen from him recently is just an aberration, if it's not then you have to move him while he still has good value. He's well regarded around the league IMO.

That's the most frustrating thing about his game. At times he performs like a top pairing defenseman, doing it all on offense and defense. Then he can follow that up by making plays that make him look like the dumbest player on the roster. Imagine how much more money he'd be earning and how better off the team would be if he found consistency in his game.

Last season was an absolute disaster for him, and he needs a strong performance throughout the year to prove that he is a legit #2 option behind Doughty (although they don't play on the same pair, he still logs big minutes).

My biggest issue with Martinez is that he seems to get hurt quite often. The last two seasons, he's been solid in his appearances, but prior to that, his career high in games played was 61 games. Given his age, he may be the more logical trade option.

The possibility of a Voynov return could also steer the team's decision making process, but we likely won't know anything about that until the off-season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's the most frustrating thing about his game. At times he performs like a top pairing defenseman, doing it all on offense and defense. Then he can follow that up by making plays that make him look like the dumbest player on the roster. Imagine how much more money he'd be earning and how better off the team would be if he found consistency in his game.

Last season was an absolute disaster for him, and he needs a strong performance throughout the year to prove that he is a legit #2 option behind Doughty (although they don't play on the same pair, he still logs big minutes).

My biggest issue with Martinez is that he seems to get hurt quite often. The last two seasons, he's been solid in his appearances, but prior to that, his career high in games played was 61 games. Given his age, he may be the more logical trade option.

The possibility of a Voynov return could also steer the team's decision making process, but we likely won't know anything about that until the off-season

When I saw that boldfaced today it indicated to me that was a BIG factor.

and I don't disagree with you about the first paragraph, but that is basically EVERY d-man in about the top 10-30 range. What keeps them out of the top-most echelon is consistency. See: Reilly, Brodie, etc. Muzzin is firmly in that tier. We're just spoiled by having the best defenseman in the game. (INB4 tears)

Reactions: go4hockey

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
We may know about Voynov earlier than the offseason. If he signs a KHL extension then he is almost certain to not be coming back to the nhl for the duration of the extension.

Voynov is probably under an immigration entry ban. He would have to apply for a waiver of that ban but that takes 6 months, maybe more due to his criminal background. From what I've seen a couple immigration attorneys write, a work visa application by someone with a criminal record will take longer than normal to process.

The work visa application can only be done after a successful waiver of the entry ban. Time since he left is a factor in the waiver as well as the seriousness of the crime. So if Voynov wants to make a nhl training camp, he would have to start the process right about now.

then there is also the issue of any nhl and kings suspension.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
He's really good with Doughty. As we've seen over the past five years, Doughty makes EVERYONE look good. Scuderi, Muzzin, McNabb, now Forbort. When Muzzin is released to use his size and mobility, he looks like a top pairing guy. When Muzzin needs to use hockey smarts to read plays on defense, he looks like a bottom pairing guy. Doughty covers his deficiencies by turning pucks over and making smooth zone exits. Martinez is also very good at exiting the zone, but he doesn't have the defensive ability that Doughty does.

On offense Muzzin is quite valuable. Very good power play trigger man.

If only Doughty can play with Muzzin AND Forbort....

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He's really good with Doughty. As we've seen over the past five years, Doughty makes EVERYONE look good. Scuderi, Muzzin, McNabb, now Forbort. When Muzzin is released to use his size and mobility, he looks like a top pairing guy. When Muzzin needs to use hockey smarts to read plays on defense, he looks like a bottom pairing guy. Doughty covers his deficiencies by turning pucks over and making smooth zone exits. Martinez is also very good at exiting the zone, but he doesn't have the defensive ability that Doughty does.

On offense Muzzin is quite valuable. Very good power play trigger man.

If only Doughty can play with Muzzin AND Forbort....
Muzzin has shown that he can be an excellent defenseman regardless of who his partner is.

Reactions: go4hockey

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Muzzin has shown that he can be an excellent defenseman regardless of who his partner is.

Agreed. I said as much in another thread. We're just spoiled by Drew. Defensemen of Muzzin's caliber--those who regularly play 20+ minutes vs. top competition in all situations--regularly have similar concerns. See guys of his ability tier, like Brodie, Stralman.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
My concern is with Carter down, the kings will make a hasty snap decision to trade a defenceman for forward help. I don't want to get a guy that while he helps fill in while carter is out, the contract doesn't fit in the salary structure for next or future seasons. At some point, Carter will return.

At the same time, I don't want to see another rental. Yes, I'm being picky. The good thing is I don't see Blake being that hasty and not thinking of the future.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I saw that too. Well probably our top prospect and a first

Kempe is his replacement, he's outscoring Reinhart this year. :)

Would probably take Muzzin, Kempe, and a 1st to even get a response honestly. Would give the Kings one heck of a top 9 once Carter came back (and Gaborik), but losing Muzzin would leave a bigger hole than most think.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I feel much better about our pipeline, too. Pronman rated the kings at #17 which is an improvement from #29. I hope we keep Vilardi and the other picks from this year.

Next draft seems defense heavy and we seem to be ok there.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Random but I stumbled across images of the other bobble heads being given away. Toffoli's and Bob's look great; Pearson's on the other hand.. could use some TLC

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I really don't see the need to trade anything at the moment considering the start we are off to, the health of Quick, the resurgence of Kopi and Brownie, plus the depth and play of our blue line.
Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Pearson - Shore - Toffoli
Cammalleri - Kempe - Lewis
Andreoff - Laich - Auger
options;
Amadio
Brodzinski
Mersch
Injured;
Carter- out 6-8 wks
Gaborik- out 2-4wks
Forbort - Doughty
Martinez - Muzzin
Fantenberg - Frolin
MacDermid
options;
LaDue
Gravel
Quick - Kuemper
options;
Campbell
Petersen

we have enough to hold for a 1/4 of the season before making a move and we finally have the pieces to entice a team...

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Even if Blake wanted to make a deal, it's October. How many trades, especially of the significant variety, have been made in October since the cap came to town? Need two to tango. They have to go with what they have for a while, and see what happens.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Even if Blake wanted to make a deal, it's October. How many trades, especially of the significant variety, have been made in October since the cap came to town? Need two to tango. They have to go with what they have for a while, and see what happens.

That pretty much leaves Duchene and maybe Montreal if they’re panicking.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I completely agree with the above posgter:thumbu:

I do also. Much, for me, depends on if Gaborik can come back to anything approaching decent form. There are obviously some question marks regarding his status but if he can get his fitness back it's fair to think he'll be better in this new system. If we were to also make a trade for a top 6 forward now, once Carter and Gabby were back we'd have a top heavy lineup in terms of forwards and would most likely have traded away our defensive depth. We'd be left exposed at the back if an injury were to occur. Any meaningful trade is also likely to cost a pick or two and we've only just started restocking the farm.

I've been thinking about it and unless we are somehow looking like strong contenders come the deadline we should stand firm and stick the course with retooling. If we're still playing well by then someone may even be interested in Gaborik and Muzzin and we can move them for some younger pieces. By then the likes of LaDue and Brodz might be more ready for a full time role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad