2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
3rd line centers aren't too hard to pick up, probably a few will be available around deadline
It's been reported Blake is looking for wingers not a center so they know something we don't and have a player they've in mind sloted thirdline center.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Brodzinski Needs top 6 minutes to be effective, I don't see him in LA, it's to crowed.Probably put in a trade.

I don’t think there’s a single team in the league that’ll give Brodzinski top 6 minutes. He has a lot to prove this year at camp, and I don’t see him winning out a top six role. A bottom six role is possible though.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Regardless. Vilardi and Kovalchuk make the Kings top 6 a lot better. So the Kings lost zero assets. I like this.

Reactions: TruKingFan

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I don't think they have, no, but they also haven't really earned it. It's kind of a tough chicken and egg thing--for a while, I think most of us were in agreement that even though Iafallo wasn't scoring himself his tenacity and motor was enabling Kopitar and Brown. As the season went on that waned a bit but he looked to get more control/confidence of his shot. I wouldn't be shocked to see 15 goals out of Iafallo this year. When Brodz wasn't scoring, he looked pretty lost imo, or at least looked like a tweener. He's gotta assert himself because right now he looks like a vanilla player with no real NHL identity. I definitely would like to see him get some 'real' time in as you suggest to see what we have before we throw him to the scrap heap though, but right now he's simply looking like Scott Parse.
Iafallo can play an energy role effectively while Brodzinski probably can't so I understand why they're more comfortable with AI in the lineup. But if we're so desperate that we're going to try AI on the top line, than you might as well try JB there too while letting AI get some some bottom six time (where he's a natural fit) in the meantime.

Brodz scored at a 9 goal pace. Iafallo scored at a 9 goal pace. Difference is AI got 15min TOI per game, lots of time with Kopitar and even a taste of PP time, while JB got 9:30 TOI per game mostly on the bottom lines.

Vegas kind of showed that a lot of these tweeners need to be put in an NHL role to succeed and that difference between an NHLer and fringe player is closer than ever.

Speaking of Parse, I thought he always looked pretty good and I think he would've been an NHLer if it wasn't for injuries.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Every 29+ age player is looking for the 8-year retirement contract. GMs would be wise to avoid them.

For the most part, the GM's that give out those contracts at the time care about the 1st or 2nd year, not 5+ years from now, because if it doesn't work in the short term, they're out of a job anyway and someone else has to deal with it. If GM's were guaranteed their job for say 10 years, they could afford to not just keep an eye on, but focus on the longer term more often than not. Since their employment depends on players winning, and they must spend at least a certain amount every year, they are forced to go after talent. There is a low supply of freely available talent since every player isn't a free agent every year, so they have to work with what's available. Rarely is a Tavares out there, if he's even actually available right now. More likely than not, he's going back to the island. Since those guys aren't out there with any regularity, you're left with Lucic, Gaborik, Eriksson, Ladd, Clarkson, and whatever other crap.

Same thing in the NBA. Most of the guys that get those massive contracts aren't all that good, they just have great timing. Free agents at the right time, and teams must spend money. Not to mention that if teams didn't sign guys as quickly as they could on July 1st, the PA would be out there yelling collusion. The baseball union was doing that this winter.

It would be great if GM's could hold off, but there are just too many external and internal pressures that make them do it. Lower the UFA age, shorten the max contract, keep the hard cap. That's about the only way to change it. Try and make it so that players can't even re-sign until the week of their free agent year. Every player has to hit the Tavares situation. Anything to increase the supply of talent every summer. All that, or get rid of the cap so that term doesn't matter anymore.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
As I said, this year? The Kings are going for it now. I don't see them moving any of those guys other than Toffoli, maybe. I suppose if Panarin truly becomes available to the Kings, but I don't see Columbus wanting any of those players. They are going to want Vilardi, Kempe, and a 1st.

I tried to add that’s it’s something to consider heading into next seasons trade deadline unless Panarin becomes available... but damn if I didn’t get booted out of the site, they need better site management. With that said, I would try to entice the CBJs with Toffoli+Martinez. Gives us a much higher talent level, clears $8 mill in cap space and increases our chances to resign the guy... Also, having 2 maybe 3 Russians gives us more clout with Prokhorkin, Dergachyov and our 3rd rounder....
Kovalchuk - Kopitar - Brown
Panarin - Carter - Vilardi
Iafallo - Kempe - Amadio
Brodzinski - Thompson - Lewis

Forbort - Doughty
Muzzin - Phaneuf
Brinkley - Fantenberg ( hoping Voynov comes back)

Quick
Campbell

Maybe some of those Russians come as well ...

Last edited:

Inner Turbulence

Jun 12, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
I tried to add that’s it’s something to consider heading into next seasons trade deadline unless Panarin becomes available... but damn if I didn’t get booted out of the site, they need better site management. With that said, I would try to entice the CBJs with Toffoli+Martinez. Gives us a much higher talent level, clears $8 mill in cap space and increases our chances to resign the guy... Also, having 2 maybe 3 Russians gives us more clout with Prokhorkin, Dergachyov and our 3rd rounder....

Iafallo - Kempe - Amadio

What did you do with Pearson in that scenario ?

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I have to imagine Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, Martinez, and Forbort are all on the table. Tough to say, there was a lot of smoke around Phaneuf for a while, but I feel Blake will swing something out of left field none of us saw coming.

Reactions: kingsofLA

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I have to imagine Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, Martinez, and Forbort are all on the table. Tough to say, there was a lot of smoke around Phaneuf for a while, but I feel Blake will swing something out of left field none of us saw coming.

Kings have a lot of players right now and some players they can move. I don't think the Kings are done.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I haven't been paying attention to Vilardi, did someone in management imply he was making the roster next year? I see almost everyone implying that, so I must have missed something.

I felt he was still a couple years away (at least one full season in Ontario). I would be surprised if he jumped from the OHL to NHL.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Iafallo - Kempe - Amadio

Forbort - Doughty
Muzzin - Phaneuf
Brinkley - Fantenberg ( hoping Voynov comes back)

Quick
Campbell

I just don't think anything involving Toffoli + Martinez is what Columbus would be looking for from the Kings when it comes to Panarin. They can do much better than that in a deal with a different team. Panarin doesn't have a NTC, so it really doesn't matter where he prefers to play.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I haven't been paying attention to Vilardi, did someone in management imply he was making the roster next year? I see almost everyone implying that, so I must have missed something.

I felt he was still a couple years away (at least one full season in Ontario). I would be surprised if he jumped from the OHL to NHL.

Mark Yannetti’s comments made it seem like he has a legit shot at making the leap.

Reactions: deaderhead28

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

One of the main reasons people are penciling Vilardi into the lineup is he has to play in the NHL this season or go back to juniors. He can't play in the AHL this coming season until his junior team finishes their season.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010

Be surprised.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Just wait until Ottawa buys out Gabby and Blake brings him back on a Cammy contract.

More serious though.

Would you guys trade Toffoli and a pick or prospect to Carolina for an extended Skinner? Would increase the skill and speed need. Can't see him being extended for under 6.5 a year though.

If we are inquiring about Dman though I find that interesting. Maybe try and balance out the lefties and righties.

Carolina really interests me with Faulk and Skinner. Two pieces we could use to add scoring. Would have to give up some good roster talent and prospects though. And I am not worried about Faulks defensive lapses with our core and how effective they cover each other.

I also am on the fence on acquiring a third line center. I would wait until later in the year to decide. We have Kempe, Vilardi and Amadio who can be tried there. You would think with the skill those guys have one would take the job and run with it. Nice to have youth in our system.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I just don't think anything involving Toffoli + Martinez is what Columbus would be looking for from the Kings when it comes to Panarin. They can do much better than that in a deal with a different team. Panarin doesn't have a NTC, so it really doesn't matter where he prefers to play.
Salary has to go back,so one of or two of ,Phanuef,Martinez or Muzzin,Toffoli etc would be part a trade due to cap issues.Then Carolina could or Columbus can flip one or both players for picks/assets.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Just wait until Ottawa buys out Gabby and Blake brings him back on a Cammy contract.

More serious though.

Would you guys trade Toffoli and a pick or prospect to Carolina for an extended Skinner? Would increase the skill and speed need. Can't see him being extended for under 6.5 a year though.

If we are inquiring about Dman though I find that interesting. Maybe try and balance out the lefties and righties.

Carolina really interests me with Faulk and Skinner. Two pieces we could use to add scoring. Would have to give up some good roster talent and prospects though. And I am not worried about Faulks defensive lapses with our core and how effective they cover each other.

I also am on the fence on acquiring a third line center. I would wait until later in the year to decide. We have Kempe, Vilardi and Amadio who can be tried there. You would think with the skill those guys have one would take the job and run with it. Nice to have youth in our system.
Bernstein was saying Blake had a deal on the table for Skinner at one point before Kovi deal,and now he is reporting Kings looking at a defensemen.He also reported Kings still looking at a winger.
Faulk and Skinner?

Reactions: funky

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005

When Vilardi's junior team traded him this past season, one of the reasons given was they felt he would be in the NHL next season for sure.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Salary has to go back,so one of or two of ,Phanuef,Martinez or Muzzin,Toffoli etc would be part a trade due to cap issues.Then Carolina could or Columbus can flip one or both players for picks/assets.
Makes it a complicated deal for Columbus or Carolina. We'll see.

Last edited:

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Makes it a deal for Columbus or Carolina. We'll see.

Back to our convo, the Kings could always wait for free agency and sign Panarin (better than Skinner IMO).Then you could move any combination of Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin and Martinez for cap space and/or picks & prospects.. Although our roster is getting quite old, a rebound to normal production from Carter(TT & TP benefit) increase the value of our assets and allow the team to legitimately rebuild on the fly and reopen our cup window.. Granted, this is all with me assuming Voynov returns and sign a sub $4 mill contract, Muzzin and Amart don't fall off the face of the earth, Vilardi, Amadio, Kempe, Brinkley all prove they're ready and contribute and the recent overpayment for players continues....

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Does Vilardi have bite in his game or is a gentle player?

SOME bite but he's not as pissy as I'd like. Jason Allison comparison holds true here too I think.

It's heavily implied by management and his junior team and one of the reasons is he can't be in the AHL. He's got nothing left to prove in juniors, may as well be up here for development all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->