2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Ah thinking Vegas might be a fluke yet. Let's see if they can handle a scf series. ;) before we jump to conclusions.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The sport I love is now the joke of the sporting world.

Of course I'm irritated. A team was allowed to buy a Cup.
Maybe our dingdong of a GM should start scamming GMs instead of the other way around.

The Knights have exposed a lot of GMs around the league and I tip my hat to that. Maybe Tobias could learn a few things, or is he still crying in the shower?

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
I think it's a great story. One of the great underdog stories. (Practically) no one expected this. I remember Vegas and McPhee being panned by lots of people for a crap expansion draft because they didn't take the biggest names available. They've done an unbelievable job, and put so many other GMs to shame. It also goes to show how many incomptetent executives there are in the NHL.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I don't think so.

Fair enough. I don't think those Oilers lose 4 in a row to Vegas.

And regarding the results. Here I was thinking the Jets would complete the Canadian curse of the last 20 years (lose in the SCF). Silly me. LOL

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Still depressing that the bulk of Vegas's roster is made up of exactly the sort of players the Oilers should have been looking at to fill out some forward positions.

But also slightly reassuring to see a defense like that make it to the SCF. Though I dunno if the Oilers can count on Conn Smythe goaltending.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yes, at the beginning of the season how many fan bases would have preferred Vegas roster to their own? Zero.
Yep. It's not like they were allowed to take all these great proven players. f***ing Pittsburgh gave up a draft pick so that Vegas would take their All star goalie.

Florida gave up Reilly and got back a 4th to make sure Vegas took Marchessault. That's 2/3 of their top line.

Vegas shows that great coaching, hard work and great goaltending is super important and can bring you all the way up to the top.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Vegas had advantages over other expansion teams but they had great coaching , gming and the players were inspired. I love this result, takes away all the lame excuses teams like the oilers and some of their fans toss about for gross underachievement.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
About the salt. Most fans that are salty are the ones that thought Vegas was going to be brutal this year, and were flapping their mouth about who Vegas should of took instead of who they took. They are mad they were wrong once again. I even admit I was one of those people that thought they would suck, just not salty.

That same GM that build that roster got roasted before the season started, everyone thought he was just garbage for picking the roster they had, and after he traded Forsberg for 15 games of Erat.

If anything this roster shows a couple thing.

Parity in the NHL is real, the right mix of players can win the cup.

Goaltending is the most important position in hockey.

I hope Vegas wins the cup, prob even fly down for the cup final and cheer them on. I love the city of Vegas.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You sound extremely salty that Vegas is doing well.

The Oilers aren't even close to the team Vegas is.
Would you care to describe which positional pieces the Knights have that makes them a massively superior team to the Edmonton Oilers? Is it their legit top pairing of Nate Schmidt and Deryk Engelland? Or is it their showstopping offensive depth?

Vegas has been the Cinderella of all Cinderella teams. Connor McDavid would have spanked them in these playoffs had we made them and will likely do so next year in the regular season when their shooting perceggntages drop back down to Earth.

Reactions: McGhost Division

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
About the salt. Most fans that are salty are the ones that thought Vegas was going to be brutal this year, and were flapping their mouth about who Vegas should of took instead of who they took. They are mad they were wrong once again. I even admit I was one of those people that thought they would suck, just not salty.

You really like to generalize people, seems like a pattern with you.
I explained why I was a bit salty none of which have to do with being mad about being wrong. I was actually one of the few who picked them to beat the Kings and the Sharks and scoffed at those who said that they were lucky, a fluke and would flounder in the playoffs.

I'd just like to see a team pay their dues before reaching the summit. I like a lot about the Vegas story but it all seems a bit too easy to me. Just my personal opinion.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Would you care to describe which positional pieces the Knights have that makes them a massively superior team to the Edmonton Oilers? Is it their legit top pairing of Nate Schmidt and Deryk Engelland? Or is it their showstopping offensive depth?

Vegas has been the Cinderella of all Cinderella teams. Connor McDavid would have spanked them in these playoffs had we made them and will likely do so next year in the regular season when their shooting perceggntages drop back down to Earth.

No, just no. Vegas is legitimately one of the best teams in the league, the Oilers as currently constituted wouldn't have stood a chance in a series against them. Just look at your statement "Connor McDavid" would have beat them. Well, Vegas is proving that you need a TEAM to win in the playoffs, not just a collection of a couple of great players.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Vegas "fans" are already becoming unbearable.

Looking forward to the half empty building once all the ridiculous shooting percentages plummet back to Earth and the franchise faces the slightest bit of adversity.

God, I hate the Knights. Not a single likeable player or member of that fanbase.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
No, just no. Vegas is legitimately one of the best teams in the league, the Oilers as currently constituted wouldn't have stood a chance in a series against them. Just look at your statement "Connor McDavid" would have beat them. Well, Vegas is proving that you need a TEAM to win in the playoffs, not just a collection of a couple of great players.

I think the Oilers would've took them to 7.
or swept them in 4.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan are vastly inferior to their Vegas counterparts. As this season showed, McDavid doesn’t mean much if you surround him with crap.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Plus side, the upcoming Karlsson extension will murder Vegas when he stops shooting at almost 25%.

We'll see, swedes have a history of taking less money than their market value. Look at guys like Rakell, Ekholm, Järnkrok and Arvidsson. All signed to incredibly cheap deals for what they bring.

His linemates Smith and Marchessault only makes $5M each. I don't think Karlsson will get an astronomically higher number than that. I could see something close to $6.5M. That'd be a pretty decent deal even if he falls back next year, but I could also see him taking slightly less money on a longer deal.

But we'll see, I've been wrong before when it comes to these things, but I would be shocked if he demanded a huge deal after this one season. That's not a very swedish thing to do ;)

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
You really like to generalize people, seems like a pattern with you.
I explained why I was a bit salty none of which have to do with being mad about being wrong. I was actually one of the few who picked them to beat the Kings and the Sharks and scoffed at those who said that they were lucky, a fluke and would flounder in the playoffs.

I'd just like to see a team pay their dues before reaching the summit. I like a lot about the Vegas story but it all seems a bit too easy to me. Just my personal opinion.

Yes I do generalize people.

There is legit reasons like you stated. That’s why I didn’t quote you.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Looking forward to the half empty building once all the ridiculous shooting percentages plummet back to Earth and the franchise faces the slightest bit of adversity.

God, I hate the Knights. Not a single likeable player or member of that fanbase.

I'd say MAF and Nate Schmidt are plenty likeable. That said, go Caps!

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Good for Vegas to make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, and all credit to them...but this makes the NHL look like a freaking joke. First year in it's Franchise History and they make the Stanley Cup Finals...wtf? Just feels rigged in some ways.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Good for Vegas to make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, and all credit to them...but this makes the NHL look like a freaking joke. First year in it's Franchise History and they make the Stanley Cup Finals...wtf? Just feels rigged in some ways.

I'm salty as all heck. But the league isn't rigged. This is just some weird once in a lifetime type wizardry where the Knights somehow managed to find the perfect mix of players, management and coaching to go on this incredible run. It'll never happen again. In fact, I'd double down now and say that with the exact same expansion rules Seattle will be a garbage team.

Reactions: Aerrol and LaGu

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

The salt from you is absolutely ridiculous.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think it's a great story. One of the great underdog stories. (Practically) no one expected this. I remember Vegas and McPhee being panned by lots of people for a crap expansion draft because they didn't take the biggest names available. They've done an unbelievable job, and put so many other GMs to shame. It also goes to show how many incomptetent executives there are in the NHL.

Not sure I believe this. He didnt think theyd be this good.

What he has done well is keep them from burning out.....not sure what that involved exactly.......all you can eat cocktail shrimp at the mgm grand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad