2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
You know, I was kind of ambivalent towards the GKs before, but now that they’ve had all this undeserved success so quickly I hope they sign all their RFAs who had career years to long term crippling contracts and crash hard next season.

I really don’t get this undeserved thing. What should have they done to be deserved? Is it some unwritten rule that a team has to toil in obscurity before they play well enough to make it to SCF? Night after a night the GK outworked they opponents playing their hearts out and defying all expectations. Were they supposed to just coast around because they are the expansion team whose role is to suck for decades. They weren’t handed anything, every single player they got in the expansion could have been kept by their original team. I guess our team would have been more deserving; three first overalls before lucking out on the biggest prize in a decade, yet still managed to mess it up.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Imo, this playoffs is showing the power of goaltending. It's the great equalizer. Imagine if Talbot had been playing for us like that against the Ducks. It's not necessarily the reason you lose, but it can be the reason you win.

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The whole LL situation in Toronto and "going to be POHO of the NYI" and now talking to Tavares "representing" the Islanders is just weird. Seems like something the Oilers would be involved in.

LL leaves, hopefully Hunter leaves next. The more damage they are able to do to the Leafs the happier I will be. I hope Shanahan and his boy wunder choke on the MLSE teachers union cash before they ever win a cup.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I really don’t get this undeserved thing. What should have they done to be deserved? Is it some unwritten rule that a team has to toil in obscurity before they play well enough to make it to SCF? Night after a night the GK outworked they opponents playing their hearts out and defying all expectations. Were they supposed to just coast around because they are the expansion team whose role is to suck for decades. They weren’t handed anything, every single player they got in the expansion could have been kept by their original team. I guess our team would have been more deserving; three first overalls before lucking out on the biggest prize in a decade, yet still managed to mess it up.
Just makes my disgust of the situation in Edmonton even more prominent. These guys make guys like PC look even more terrible.

BlackDogg

Oct 3, 2015
I guess one advantage of not having a "star" or a McDavid is that the players don't sit back and wait for the other lines to contribute offensively. They all have to chip in.

Reactions: Night Witch

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Just makes my disgust of the situation in Edmonton even more prominent. These guys make guys like PC look even more terrible.
It's funny, because Chiarelli is one of two or three GMs who doesn't look like an idiot for what happened in the expansion draft.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This will be Ovi and the Caps 11th game 7 since he entered the league.

3-7 in those first 10 games games doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Well.... you bucked the trend of losing to the Pens. Here's to bucking the trend of losing game 7s.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

Well.... you bucked the trend of losing to the Pens. Here's to bucking the trend of losing game 7s.
I will riot if Ovechkin and the Capitals finally get to the SCF and then lose to an expansion team.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

The Caps are horrendously unclutch. Even with 5 minutes left and a 2 goal lead it wasn't safe.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
These playoffs also make me dislike Chia and co even more..

I’m even really sour about McDavid’s contract. Not even mentioning the other contracts we have to deal with either..

Too bad I’m stuck in this Oilers cult or I’d jump ship! I just cannot fathom cheering for any other team while the Oilers exist. Damn you Chia/Bob/Katz whoever!

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I guess one advantage of not having a "star" or a McDavid is that the players don't sit back and wait for the other lines to contribute offensively. They all have to chip in.

Sounds like we have a culture issue then . I swear it was fixed 2 seasons ago :sarcasm:

Reactions: Drivesaitl

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
GMGM did things that a lot of GM's could've done themselves. Bad contracts have been around for awhile. He used his cap space and took these guys on while putting in actual NHLers onto his roster as well.

He then goes ahead and makes a deal that was suggested by fans. Does a three way and retains some salary while flipping the player for Reaves and a pick.

One thing is for sure GMGM went out and did a lot of out of the box thinking and is receiving results for it.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Two great teams coming out of the East. I'd be happy with either winning the Cup, but really hoping Ovechkin can finally get what he deserves and finish the job this year. One of the greatest of all time and won't get the respect of people (unfairly in my opinion) if the TEAM doesn't win a Cup.

BlackDogg

Oct 3, 2015
These playoffs also make me dislike Chia and co even more..

I’m even really sour about McDavid’s contract. Not even mentioning the other contracts we have to deal with either..

Too bad I’m stuck in this Oilers cult or I’d jump ship! I just cannot fathom cheering for any other team while the Oilers exist. Damn you Chia/Bob/Katz whoever!
The ol Katzen-Nikelbobarelli group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad