2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I never realized Paul Romanuk was that old. He looks ancient.

I immediately thought Romanuk looks like Dana Carvey's "Mr. Turtle" character.

JptBciS.gif

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
They’ve added pieces through the draft and other acquisitions. Their forward group murdered ours this year and the defenses are light years apart.
and yet there team let in more goals than the Oilers did so other than having sexier names on defense they definitely weren't light years apart.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
How does this commentator guy not realize yet it's a review to see if it went off his hand?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Goaltending was the main reason the Oilers got as far as they did. When it failed then the defense was exposed.

That's almost always the playoffs every year. Best goalie wins. Actually I think I saw a stat that our 2 series last year were the only ones where the best sav% goalie didn't win hehe. Talbot was best in round 2, SJ guy was better than him in round 1.

If Murray and Fleury didn't do backflips for 2 straight playoffs, the pens don't win either cup. Their D were exposed constantly. Vegas is about to get to the finals thanks to a goalie that bails them out all night every night.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Goaltending was the main reason the Oilers got as far as they did. When it failed then the defense was exposed.
and I'm saying Hellebyuk has a big chance to pull a Talbot next year what are you even arguing about? We've all seen what a Jets team looks like when their goaltending sucks it results in them missing the playoffs like I said is a big possibility for that team just like it was for us.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
and I'm saying Hellebyuk has a big chance to pull a Talbot next year what are you even arguing about? We've all seen what a Jets team looks like when their goaltending sucks it results in them missing the playoffs like I said is a big possibility for that team just like it was for us.

Does any team have success with crap goaltending? This season was the first time the Jets ever had good goaltending. Years they have been hiding a pretty solid lineup by giving the 18 skaters an infinitely high hill to climb with goalies that kill any momentum they build by letting in trash.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's almost always the playoffs every year. Best goalie wins. Actually I think I saw a stat that our 2 series last year were the only ones where the best sav% goalie didn't win hehe. Talbot was best in round 2, SJ guy was better than him in round 1.

If Murray and Fleury didn't do backflips for 2 straight playoffs, the pens don't win either cup. Their D were exposed constantly. Vegas is about to get to the finals thanks to a goalie that bails them out all night every night.

Not really. The Pens badly outplayed teams in a lot of the games in their cup years. They absolutely dominate puck possession. Pens in a lot of their playoff wins outshoot opponents badly.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That would be nice but not really seeing that. The Lightning have better depth through and through and certainly better defensively. Caps have lost 3 in a row now.

Caps historically have gotten the worst combination of bad playoff luck and poor playoff performances at the wrong times.

They’re like the modern day Buffalo Bills.

Reactions: ujju2

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Does any team have success with crap goaltending? This season was the first time the Jets ever had good goaltending. Years they have been hiding a pretty solid lineup by giving the 18 skaters an infinitely high hill to climb with goalies that kill any momentum they build by letting in trash.
No, that was the entire point of my posts is that their goaltender is setting up to let down the Jets just like Talbot did for the Oilers and it could translate into his game next year which is why I felt like the Jets are a good candidate to pull a 17/18 Oilers next season.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Jets have some key RFAs who will get big raises this summer (Trouba, Hellebuyck, and Morrissey), plus Laine, Connor, and Wheeler only have one year left on their contracts.

Their two big UFA signings from last year (Mason and Kulikov) have turned out to be busts and over $8M of wasted cap space.

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Still believe that, in spite of consistency issues, the Lightning are the only elite team in the entire NHL.

Think they'll win Game 6 and then beat Vegas in 6.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
No, that was the entire point of my posts is that their goaltender is setting up to let down the Jets just like Talbot did for the Oilers and it could translate into his game next year which is why I felt like the Jets are a good candidate to pull a 17/18 Oilers next season.

Yeah, I was just trying to generalize your point :) Think most teams are vulnerable to a goalie having an off year trashing their season. Very few elite guys that you can count on year after year. Although, not everyone goes out of their way to ensure they also have a junk backup in case their starter does struggle like we did :) Chevy left the Jets stuck a lot of years with a crap+crap duo though, like we had this season (praying of course it was just an off year for Talbot).

I do think the jets have a decent guy finally though. I think Hellebuyck will give them passable goaltending next year.

Last edited:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
that sentiment will only last until the draft

I have no idea what this is in reference to. I can hardly think of a draft over the past 20 years that I have cared less about when it comes to the Oilers. Honestly, if Vegas wins the Cup it's the final straw for me.

The league is already barely hanging on by a thread in my mind with the atrocious officiating, the disgusting excuse for a franchise the Oilers have become, the death of any legitimate international hockey now that the Olympics has no NHL players, and the watering down of the talent in the league with more and more teams. Should Vegas complete the unthinkable, while I think it's a stunning story and they deserve all the credit for pulling it off, I can't see myself taking the league serious any longer. To be honest, I might already be at that point, I'm not sure.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Not really. The Pens badly outplayed teams in a lot of the games in their cup years. They absolutely dominate puck possession. Pens in a lot of their playoff wins outshoot opponents badly.

I'm wrong to include 15/16. But last year they were routinely outshot at evens. 3rd worst SF % in the playoffs, but Fleury was outstanding and Murray picked up where he left off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille