Proposal: 2016 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts about players the Sens would protect.

I think realistically it would look something like:

Forwards: Hoffman, Turris, Brassard, Ryan, Stone, Pageau, Lazar
Defenseman: Phaneuf, Ceci, Karlsson
Goaltender: Anderson

...but I could totally see Dorion trying to keep all 4 D in tact, so then our 4 F would be:
Hoffman, Turris, Brassard, Stone??

No, we won't and we can't. Ryan, like Phaneuf, has to be protected.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
What if we acquired Bishop part way through the season, and signed him for the $ he wants, knowing full well we can leave him exposed for the expansion draft?

Basically bait Vegas into taking him instead of one of our D, knowing that he would likely be the best goalie available.

Not sure what the cost would be to get him, but it might be worth not losing one of Ceci or Methot.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
What if we acquired Bishop part way through the season, and signed him for the $ he wants, knowing full well we can leave him exposed for the expansion draft?

Basically bait Vegas into taking him instead of one of our D, knowing that he would likely be the best goalie available.

Not sure what the cost would be to get him, but it might be worth not losing one of Ceci or Methot.

What do you offer for Bishop?
Brown, White, Chabot and 1sts are off the table.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Interesting idea, and it's not limited to a guy like Bishop, we could sign or trade for any number of guys that might be tempting.

The most obvious issue to me though is what incentive does Bishop have to sign a deal with us that doesn't include a NMC? He might as well wait until FA and just sign with LV if it comes to that. The only thing we could do is offer him well above market value which might scare off LV from taking him, then we'd have an overpaid goalie that we can't afford.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

In the same vein: I've said it before, but if there's another team, like us, who has a 4th defenceman that is a threat to be taken in the expansion draft, and due to this are offering him on like a "25% discount" (ie: we want to get 75% of this player's value in a trade rather than lose him for nothing), then I'm buying.

Trade for that defenceman, then leave both him AND Methot exposed in the expansion draft.

If we lose Methot, then we effectively traded for a replacement defenceman a few months early (rather than wait until after the expansion draft when prices might be higher). If Vegas takes "new defenceman" that we got in the trade, then we still have Methot, and the blueline just keeps trucking on like nothing happened.

The key to this strategy is to not get someone significantly better than Methot. We don't want to over-pay by acquiring a guy worth significantly more than Methot who we would lose.

Heck, I'd be very willing to offer one of Quincey or Russell 2/3-year contracts (assuming they're not still asking the moon, salary-wise) just so we have other defenceman to dangle to Vegas and/or have as backup in case we lose Methot. Heck, maybe Russell has a rebound year for us, and Vegas likes him more in the expansion draft? I mean, that's a best-case scenario for us right there.

Last edited:

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
In the same vein: I've said it before, but if there's another team, like us, who has a 4th defenceman that is a threat to be taken in the expansion draft, and due to this are offering him on like a "25% discount" (ie: we want to get 75% of this player's value in a trade rather than lose him for nothing), then I'm buying.

Trade for that defenceman, then leave both him AND Methot exposed in the expansion draft.

If we lose Methot, then we effectively traded for a replacement defenceman a few months early (rather than wait until after the expansion draft when prices might be higher). If Vegas takes "new defenceman" that we got in the trade, then we still have Methot, and the blueline just keeps trucking on like nothing happened.

The key to this strategy is to not get someone significantly better than Methot. We don't want to over-pay by acquiring a guy worth significantly more than Methot who we would lose.

Heck, I'd be very willing to offer one of Quincey or Russell 2/3-year contracts (assuming they're not still asking the moon, salary-wise) just so we have other defenceman to dangle to Vegas and/or have as backup in case we lose Methot. Heck, maybe Russell has a rebound year for us, and Vegas likes him more in the expansion draft? I mean, that's a best-case scenario for us right there.

This exactly.

The reason I thought of Bishop, is that everyone is reporting her will be traded, but that he wants a massive raise. IMO Bishop seems like the type that just wants to get paid, and doesn't care where he goes, so I think we could get him without a NMC.

Alternatively, if we could trade for Bishop, and get him to sign something we're comfortable with, we could expose Andy.

Cost of acquisition is the big question mark though. Even at say the cost of a 1st Rd pick, could we get a better player than Ceci or Methot with a 1st? Maybe, but they wont be helping us anytime soon.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This exactly.

The reason I thought of Bishop, is that everyone is reporting her will be traded, but that he wants a massive raise. IMO Bishop seems like the type that just wants to get paid, and doesn't care where he goes, so I think we could get him without a NMC.

Alternatively, if we could trade for Bishop, and keep sign him to something we're comfortable with, we could expose Andy.

Cost of acquisition is the big question mark though. Even at say the cost of a 1st Rd pick, could we get a better player than Ceci or Methot with a 1st? Maybe, but they wont be helping us anytime soon.
Was ,thinking about us getting the Bish back.We are going to need a goalie sooner than later,and it seemed he liked his time here.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Another signing i could see happening,to replace Methot.Should we lose him would be Stone in ARZ,he is a UFA and might welcome the chance to play with his brother

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I've been advocating this strategy for a while now. I suspect though that guys like Quincey and Russell are currently holding out for offers from teams where they can reasonably expect to play in the top 4, or at least compete for it. Our top 4 is pretty hard to crack for any of the remaining UFA dmen imo.

If we were to sign a guy like Russell, Quincey they could theoretically play well enough to be enticing for LV, and if not would offer some insulation for a guy like Englund, or Chabot once Methot is plucked up.

ekarlsson65

Jan 11, 2015
Ottawa
I've been advocating this strategy for a while now. I suspect though that guys like Quincey and Russell are currently holding out for offers from teams where they can reasonably expect to play in the top 4, or at least compete for it. Our top 4 is pretty hard to crack for any of the remaining UFA dmen imo.

If we were to sign a guy like Russell, Quincey they could theoretically play well enough to be enticing for LV, and if not would offer some insulation for a guy like Englund, or Chabot once Methot is plucked up.

I like the strategy just not the players, Russell and Quincey are both garbage. If Russell's role was to play 3rd pairing minutes and PP time on unit 2 for like 2 million a season then ok, but he's no where near close to being a top 4 D.

Strategy wise it would be interesting though!

ekarlsson65

Jan 11, 2015
Ottawa

What if the Sens protected:

F: Hoffman, Stone, Pageau, Macarthur, Turris, Ryan, Brassard
D: Ceci, Karlsson, Phaneuf

We can then dangle Lazar (I don't think LV would touch Clarke given injury history and age) + Methot, in the hopes of they would take Lazar (I'm sorry his ceiling is Dustin Brown 2.0 minus the dirty hits)

***Edit, my mistake, Smith is a UFA

ekarlsson65

Jan 11, 2015
Ottawa
If the Sens were to lose Methot via expansion draft, Brendan Smith could very well be an adequate replacement who will command roughly similar $$ to what Methot received....

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If the Sens were to lose Methot via expansion draft, Brendan Smith could very well be an adequate replacement who will command roughly similar $$ to what Methot received....

Ugh, Brendan Smith isn't close to Methot.

Smith as a Sen getting Methot's salary ($5mil) makes me slightly ill. He's a fine 3rd pairing guy who can slide into your top-4 in a pinch, don't get me wrong, but Methot >>>>>> Smith.

I'm kind of puzzled that you'd call Quincey and Russel "garbage", but then Brendan Smith is ok? I mean, I don't think Quincey or Russel are amazing or anything, but Smith is WAY closer to Quincey & Russell's level than he is to Methot.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ugh, Brendan Smith isn't close to Methot.

Smith as a Sen getting Methot's salary ($5mil) makes me slightly ill. He's a fine 3rd pairing guy who can slide into your top-4 in a pinch, don't get me wrong, but Methot >>>>>> Smith.

I'm kind of puzzled that you'd call Quincey and Russel "garbage", but then Brendan Smith is ok? I mean, I don't think Quincey or Russel are amazing or anything, but Smith is WAY closer to Quincey & Russell's level than he is to Methot.

Just assuming without actually watching I would guess. Quincy played more than Smith on the Wings for a reason.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

If we could trade for Bishop wouldn't it make more sense to keep Bishop & leave Anderson & Hammond exposed?

Shoots right, doesn't fit as a Methot replacement.

Methot could likely be replaced internally with Chabot &/or Englund. I don't think it hurts Ottawa all that much to lose Methot & they will likely need the cap space anyway.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Two issues.

1-Bishop most likely asks for a NMC. If he agrees to this scheme with the idea that he might be going to Vegas, Ottawa takes a risk that he won't get selected and they have to fit in his contract long term.

2-Unless TB gets really desperate, Bishop costs more than Methot's value.

I think it comes down to Lazar or Methot for Vegas.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Also, if we're talking about schemes involving actual decent assets like first round picks, it makes more sense just to cut out the middle man and give Vegas those assets to take a more ideal player.

This won't be a situation like past drafts where teams can get away with trading a late pick, but if we give Vegas a 1st round pick to select the most inconsequential player possible, they probably do it.

I really think we'll see Lazar taken the more I think about it. It depends on how high Dorion is on him compared to Murray who seemed to love Lazar. Methot is a veteran who wants to be in Ottawa and won't want to be in Vegas, unless the crop of defense available isn't great, I think that if Lazar is available,tgat might be enough to sway them to take a 17th overall pick from a few years ago who is a hard worker/possible future leader type. Maybe Ottawa ends up having to give them a sweetener.

I just think that if Methot makes it known how badly he wants to stay in his home town and how disappointed he'd be to get selected, because Ottawa will possibly have Lazar exposed, Vegas won't see Methot as being worth the headache. GMs have to consider the room/chemistry as well as team need and overall value of each pick.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Losing Methot to expansion could be a blessing in disguise. His play dipped this year, and I'm not sure he'll be back to his usual level of play. This year will be interesting to see if he bounces back.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Losing Methot to expansion could be a blessing in disguise. His play dipped this year, and I'm not sure he'll be back to his usual level of play. This year will be interesting to see if he bounces back.

Until we have someone who has proven he can play in his stead for prolonged periods of time AND be effective we are better off with him than without.

I'd much rather lose Lazar than Methot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad