Proposal: 2016 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Oh yeah, there's a huge opportunity for our 4 younger goalies to seize! I'm still not convinced any of them has what it takes to seize it, though. As you say, this year will be big one for O'Connor but also for Hammond and Driedger. Hopefully at least one of those guys takes big steps forward this year.

If I had to rank the ceiling for our 4 goalies, I'd go:
1) Hogberg
2) Hammond
3) O'Connor
4) Driedger

If I had to rank where they are right now, it'd be:
1) Hammond
2) Hogberg
3) Driedger
4) O'Connor

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
1) Hogberg
2) Hammond
3) O'Connor
4) Driedger

1) Hammond
2) Hogberg
3) Driedger
4) O'Connor

I really believe that in no time, O'Connor will top both lists. Believe in the system!

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
lol, true.

O'Connor really needs to show some solid development this year. He definitely has a great opportunity to be a starter for us after Andy. That job is wide open.

When Andersons contract is done this team needs to be a legit contender... EK is a UFA the following year... If this teams not at going for the cup level, I'm not sure why EK would stay?

2019 first for Legit Starting Goalie
Re-sign EK 8Yrs 80million (I'd like it to be a little less

I just don't see O'Conner as a 60GP .920sv% goalie and that's what the Sens will need come the 18/19 season

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
1) Hogberg
2) Hammond
3) O'Connor
4) Driedger

1) Hammond
2) Hogberg
3) Driedger
4) O'Connor

I think O'Connor has a lot of the qualities needed to have a really high ceiling. I'd have him even with Hogberg in that regard tbh. I don't see the same with Hammond. That said, I'd say goalies are the hardest to predict in terms of likelihood of reaching their potential.

As for where you ranked them as of now, I totally agree, though my viewings of Hogberg are limited, so it's hard to compare particularly across leagues.

When Andersons contract is done this team needs to be a legit contender... EK is a UFA the following year... If this teams not at going for the cup level, I'm not sure why EK would stay?

2019 first for Legit Starting Goalie
Re-sign EK 8Yrs 80million (I'd like it to be a little less

I just don't see O'Conner as a 60GP .920sv% goalie and that's what the Sens will need come the 18/19 season

I think that's a pretty high benchmark. Over the last three seasons, no goalie has played 50+ games and had a .920 or higher sv% in all three seasons, and only 10 have done it 2 out of the 3 seasons. Only four goalies have had 2 60 game seasons with a sv% at or above .920.

Only one goalie has played 60 games all three seasons, only 11 have done it in 2 out of 3 seasons.

The reality is, goalies only need to get you to the playoffs, and then be good there. Quick has only met your benchmark once in his career, but I'd take him over Luongo come playoffs.

Wrt your point though, I think O'Connor is a longer term project than #1 goalie by 2019. Best case that's when he starts pushing for the role imo, so I get the sentiment.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I really believe that in no time, O'Connor will top both lists. Believe in the system!

The good news is that Bingo now has a full time goalie coach, so that could go a long way. I've also heard good things about the big clubs goalie coach, whom I imagine will work in tandem with the bingo coach.

I kinda believe that O'Connor's confidence is shot right now. The goalie coaches are going to have to work hard to get him back on track.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

I think he has the potential to be a top goalie, absolutely.

I'm just less confident in his chances than I was at this time last year. I still absolutely think he can be an NHL goalie, but I'm a little more bearish on his stock at the moment.

He can still do it, but he needs to have an outstanding year this year.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
O'Connor was solid at the end of last season. With a better team around him, a goalie coach and a year of experience I think we'll see a big improvement over last year.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I think O'Connor has a lot of the qualities needed to have a really high ceiling. I'd have him even with Hogberg in that regard tbh. I don't see the same with Hammond. That said, I'd say goalies are the hardest to predict in terms of likelihood of reaching their potential.

As for where you ranked them as of now, I totally agree, though my viewings of Hogberg are limited, so it's hard to compare particularly across leagues.

I think that's a pretty high benchmark. Over the last three seasons, no goalie has played 50+ games and had a .920 or higher sv% in all three seasons, and only 10 have done it 2 out of the 3 seasons. Only four goalies have had 2 60 game seasons with a sv% at or above .920.

Only one goalie has played 60 games all three seasons, only 11 have done it in 2 out of 3 seasons.

The reality is, goalies only need to get you to the playoffs, and then be good there. Quick has only met your benchmark once in his career, but I'd take him over Luongo come playoffs.

Wrt your point though, I think O'Connor is a longer term project than #1 goalie by 2019. Best case that's when he starts pushing for the role imo, so I get the sentiment.

You are way to nit picky dude... 60GP .920sv% was just a number I through out... I'd equally be happy with 55GP and a .915sv%

That's the quality of goalie the Sens need to replace Anderson

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What are the chances of O'Connor starting the home opener?

O'Connor struggled last year he needs to show significant improvement.

Hogberg could be our best goalie prospect. I believe he needs to be signed and I am not sure of his current contract situation in the SHL.

Hogberg saw action in 28 regular season games this season and put up a strong 2.31 goals-against average and .911 save percentage, numbers just slightly below his 2014-15 season (over the course of 27 games). More importantly, he went 14-8-5 in this period of time and pitched two shutouts. Taking these decent, yet not entirely uncommon, SHL numbers into account, one must note that he manned the nets behind a defensive group that featured three regulars aged 19 or younger, however highly-touted they may be. Physically dominating at 6’5†and 209 pounds, questions abound as to whether he will be brought to North America or allowed to continue playing in the SHL, where he is expected to be Linkoping’s full-time starter next season.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What are the chances of O'Connor starting the home opener?

O'Connor struggled last year he needs to show significant improvement.

Hogberg could be our best goalie prospect. I believe he needs to be signed and I am not sure of his current contract situation in the SHL.

He needs to be signed July 1st, 2017. 0% chance we decide to leave him unsigned.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
O'Connor was solid at the end of last season. With a better team around him, a goalie coach and a year of experience I think we'll see a big improvement over last year.

Exactly

He just needs to keep improving, we don't need him to be the next big thing

Not yet

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
IMO, people aren't giving Driedger enough respect. I think he has a higher ceiling than O'Connor. I'm also excited about Hogberg and am looking forward to seeing him play in NA.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I just avoid goalie prospects because they're such weird people you never know what they will become.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
IMO, people aren't giving Driedger enough respect. I think he has a higher ceiling than O'Connor.
Driedger doesn't get talked about enough. He's probably the most NHL ready of the 3 prospects. I'm not sure I see the tools to become an NHL starter or not. That being said, being able to maintain a .912SP on a very poorly performing Bingo team last year shows that he's no throw away guy. My hope is that at least 1 of the 3 becomes a solid NHL starter.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Hey Farva, what's that place you like with the mozzarella sticks and all the goofy **** on the wall?

SHENANIGANS!

maxresdefault.jpg

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
You are way to nit picky dude... 60GP .920sv% was just a number I through out... I'd equally be happy with 55GP and a .915sv%

This is a message board, we can't read your mind.

If you say 60gp & .920sv%, we will discuss 60gp & .920sv%. If you meant 55gp & .915sv%, then say that and we'll discuss that instead. If you meant a range of stats, then say that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

That's the quality of goalie the Sens need to replace Anderson

Bonk already kinda covered it, but with the two benchmarks, you've now provided, it seems you aren't sure if O'Connor will be ready to provide somewhere between almost exactly average starter numbers, and elite ones.

I think we can all agree we want an average or above quality goaltender. Average is attainable for O'Connor, I think, if all goes well. Well above average is lot to expect of any goalie, so not all that useful a benchmark imo which was my point.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Driedger over O'Connor. People are forgetting that he's two years younger than Matt and put up better numbers in the AHL.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Driedger over O'Connor. People are forgetting that he's two years younger than Matt and put up better numbers in the AHL.

He also put up some terrible numbers in the ECHL. Transitioning to the pro game can present it's challenges. This coming season is the one to judge O'Connor's development on, not his first foray into pro hockey on a terrible team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad