Proposal: 2016 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
...Uh, yeah, they let Quincey walk who most wanted on here.

597.jpg

I don't want Quincy, as I've mentioned twice in the last page. How is that playing myself?

Just noticed who it was, nevermind.

ekarlsson65

Jan 11, 2015
Ottawa
Why would I want either guy in the top 4? I've been adamant I want none of them, but would be "fine" with them on the bottom pair.

You don't understand the market if you think 5 million for DD is overpayment, that's what players of DD's caliber get paid. AA is the only guy they care about, the other two (Pulk/Jurco) are the guys Holland was offering to get rid of Datsyuk's contract, they aren't being resigned. Tatar likely gets a small raise. Svechnikov and Mantha are on the team making rookie money and depending on Vanek, they could free up his spot, or have to pay more to keep him.

If I had my choice of getting a guy to replace Methot, I'd look at a guy like Kulikov if we have to go UFA route (I highly doubt he makes it).

Yeah I don't think he does either, so that leaves OTT with what options? Again, Smith is a viable player, ideally he's a #4 D, but if theres a thin group on the market, i'm quite ok with pairing him with Karlsson and keeping Dion with Ceci if need be. I don't see this small raise with Tatar, he's a very good player and I'm not sure what other players in his position took a "small raise".

I just don't see BUF trading for a LHD they badly needed only to see him walk in FA. So it leaves OTT with what other options? I'm quite ok giving Smith around 4 years at 4.5..maybe even 5 years if thats what the market dictates. Don't see him getting more than Demers did...

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah I don't think he does either, so that leaves OTT with what options? Again, Smith is a viable player, ideally he's a #4 D, but if theres a thin group on the market, i'm quite ok with pairing him with Karlsson and keeping Dion with Ceci if need be. I don't see this small raise with Tatar, he's a very good player and I'm not sure what other players in his position took a "small raise".

I just don't see BUF trading for a LHD they badly needed only to see him walk in FA. So it leaves OTT with what other options? I'm quite ok giving Smith around 4 years at 4.5..maybe even 5 years if thats what the market dictates. Don't see him getting more than Demers did...

He isn't. There is a reason he was a healthy scratch or bottom pairing guy on one of the worst defensive units in the league. If he was ideally a #4, the Wings would be over the moon. In reality, they are forced to play him as the 5-7 because they are so shallow.

Read what the Wings fans think about Smith, they see him a lot more than us.

The likelihood of the Sens getting Kulikov is much greater than the Sens wanting Smith for a top 4 role. That's nonexistent.

Last edited:

ekarlsson65

Jan 11, 2015
Ottawa
He isn't. There is a reason he was a healthy scratch or bottom pairing guy on one of the worst defensive units in the league. If he was ideally a #4, the Wings would be over the moon. In reality, they are forced to play him as the 5-7 because they are so shallow.

Read what the Wings fans think about Smith, they see him a lot more than us.

The likelihood of the Sens getting Kulikov is much greater than the Sens wanting Smith for a top 4 role. That's nonexistent.

I don't understand the logic behind his talent. So if a coach benches a player he's automatically garbage and worthless? Patrick Roy was one of the worst coaches in the league and he wanted Tyson Barrie out of COL because he wanted a more Shea Weber type Dman and Barrie wasn't that guy...so that means Roy is right?? When did it become a thing that because a coach healthy scratched a player, he's crap? lol. Dave Cameron benched Shane Prince in favour of playing Boro on LW a couple of games, so that means Prince was worthless?

If i'm not mistaken (and I very well could be), didn't Babcock often use Smith in his lineup when he was the coach of the Wings??

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't understand the logic behind his talent. So if a coach benches a player he's automatically garbage and worthless? Patrick Roy was one of the worst coaches in the league and he wanted Tyson Barrie out of COL because he wanted a more Shea Weber type Dman and Barrie wasn't that guy...so that means Roy is right?? When did it become a thing that because a coach healthy scratched a player, he's crap? lol. Dave Cameron benched Shane Prince in favour of playing Boro on LW a couple of games, so that means Prince was worthless?

If i'm not mistaken (and I very well could be), didn't Babcock often use Smith in his lineup when he was the coach of the Wings??

So why was he benched these playoffs? And the playoffs before? Two different coaches.

No, he didn't. He played him when needed, but he was still a healthy scratch 10+ times a season, and every playoffs. Wings fans though Babcock was holding Smith back, when in reality, they came to terms he just isn't very good.

You want to take a guy, who was a healthy scratch on a team with a D worse than ours, and insert him into a top 4 role. That is foolish at best.

His thread on the Wings is very similar to Wiercioch's here. People becoming elated when he strings a good game together, only to be disappointed when he turns back into a pumpkin, and slowly coming to the realization he isn't going to be what they thought/hoped for.

Here is what they think of him.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2006191&highlight=brendan+smith

In their 2016-17 roster thread, 95% have him as a bottom pairing guy, and many are hoping for a trade so he can be their 7th.

Last edited:

ekarlsson65

Jan 11, 2015
Ottawa
No, he didn't. He played him when needed, but he was still a healthy scrath 10+ times a season. Wings fans though Babcock was holding Smith back, when in reality, he just isn't very good.

You want to take a guy, who was a healthy scratch on a team with a D worse than ours, and insert him into a top 4 role. That is foolish at best. So why was he benched these playoffs? And the playoffs before? Two different coaches.

His thread on the Wings is very similar to Wiercioch's here. People becoming elated when he strings a good game together, only to be disappointed when he turns back into a pumpkin, and slowly coming to the realization he isn't going to be what they thougt/hoped for.

Here is what they think of him.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2006191&highlight=brendan+smith

In their 2016-17 roster thread, 95% have him as a bottom pairing guy, and many are hoping for a trade so he can be their 7th.

Ask these same people if Quick is an elite goalie....that will help determine the range of knowledge for me lol. Listen in all reality, if the Sens lose Methot, we are in big trouble on the back end unless we pay up for Brodin, Depres, or De Haan (RFA).

These are the LH UFA D for 2017 (that are at least half-decent):

Name - ($$$)

Kulikov - 4.33
Brian Campbell - 1.5
Oduya - 3.75
B.Smith - 2.75
Kindl - 2.04
Del Zotto - 3.875
T.Daley - 3.3
Alzner - 2.8

So again, unless we magically snag Alzner, options are quite limited, and some of these Dman are going to get paid. Factor that in with a budget team and OTT is in trouble.

Looking more at RFA dman, I wonder if the Sens would consider trading Lazar for Ben Hutton....Seems like something Jim Benning would do?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ask these same people if Quick is an elite goalie....that will help determine the range of knowledge for me lol. Listen in all reality, if the Sens lose Methot, we are in big trouble on the back end unless we pay up for Brodin, Depres, or De Haan (RFA).

These are the LH UFA D for 2017 (that might be worth signing at least for OTT's sake):

Name - ($$$)

Kulikov - 4.33
Brian Campbell - 1.5
Oduya - 3.75
B.Smith - 2.75
Kindl - 2.04
Del Zotto - 3.875
T.Daley - 3.3
Alzner - 2.8

So again, unless we magically snag Alzner, options are quite limited, and some of these Dman are going to get paid. Factor that in with a budget team and OTT is in trouble.

Looking more at RFA dman, I wonder if the Sens would consider trading Lazar for Ben Hutton....Seems like something Jim Benning would do?

Hutton for Lazar would be great for us. I doubt Benning would think of it, but he'd be a great pickup.

Alzner and Kulikov would be unreal, neither will be available I'm afraid.

Daley is a top 4 D, not sure how many seasons he has left though at that level. Same with Oduya.

Campbell will be retiring after his last hooray with Chicago.

I'm not a big fan of Del Zotto, and he doesn't fit a need with his play style. DZ-Ceci/DZ-Karlsson don't look appealing to me.

Smith and Kindl will not be looked at for a top 4 position. If we are looking for a bottom pairing guy, they may.

When we lose Methot, I feel it will have to be addressed by trade, or from within.

If I could dream, it would be taking advantage of the Hawks cap and getting Hjalmarsson for Lazar + pick + prospect.

ekarlsson65

Jan 11, 2015
Ottawa
Hutton for Lazar would be great for us. I doubt Benning would think of it, but he'd be a great pickup.

Alzner and Kulikov would be unreal, neither will be available I'm afraid.

Daley is a top 4 D, not sure how many seasons he has left though at that level. Same with Oduya.

Campbell will be retiring after his last hooray with Chicago.

I'm not a big fan of Del Zotto, and he doesn't fit a need with his play style. DZ-Ceci/DZ-Karlsson don't look appealing to me.

Smith and Kindl will not be looked at for a top 4 position. If we are looking for a bottom pairing guy, they may.

When we lose Methot, I feel it will have to be addressed by trade, or from within.

If I could dream, it would be taking advantage of the Hawks cap and getting Hjalmarsson for Lazar +1st + prospect.

I feel like we are going to get Hjarlmarsson on the down swing of his career. For a budget team, Brodin makes sense, De Haan would be solid, Hutton obviously. If the Sens did indeed trade Lazar for Hutton, would they have to protect him? How does the RFA status work for eligibility?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I feel like we are going to get Hjarlmarsson on the down swing of his career. For a budget team, Brodin makes sense, De Haan would be solid, Hutton obviously. If the Sens did indeed trade Lazar for Hutton, would they have to protect him? How does the RFA status work for eligibility?

Hutton would be exempt. He is still on his ELC deal.

ekarlsson65

Jan 11, 2015
Ottawa
Yeah, but not too much more. Hutton is a decent DMan but doesn't have super high upside. Lazar could easily be worth more than Hutton by the end of the year.

I just don't see the value in Lazar. He doesn't have the skill set to be a bonafide top 6 player. Doesn't have the hands at all. He reminds me so much of Dustin Brown, just will fire from anywhere and any angle possible. If Methot gets selected, I would not hesitate to ship Curtis for a Dman

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Kulikov is not that great. He plays more minutes than Smith but that's about it. Every other metric points to Smith being a better defender.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
These are the LH UFA D for 2017 (that are at least half-decent):

Name - ($$$)

Kulikov - 4.33
Brian Campbell - 1.5
Oduya - 3.75
B.Smith - 2.75
Kindl - 2.04
Del Zotto - 3.875
T.Daley - 3.3
Alzner - 2.8

Don't want anything to do with Kulikov,Oduya,Kindl,Del Zotto and Alzner is not possible.

Smith is the best option.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Don't want anything to do with Kulikov,Oduya,Kindl,Del Zotto and Alzner is not possible.

Smith is the best option.

Smith is the best option for what, exactly? Playing 3rd line minutes? He's certainly not the best option to take over as Karlsson's D-partner. Forget that noise.

Just give that 3rd pairing spot to one of our own kids instead of overpaying a guy like Smith. Christ, there are probably going to be tons of depth guys avail if we want a stopgap 3rd pairing defenceman to bridge us to when Englund and/or Chabot are ready to come into the league.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Just give that 3rd pairing spot to one of our own kids instead of overpaying a guy like Smith. Christ, there are probably going to be tons of depth guys avail if we want a stopgap 3rd pairing defenceman to bridge us to when Englund and/or Chabot are ready to come into the league.
Are you not the one advocating to get Quincey? Dorion said he's looking and trade options and I think Smith is a better option than him playing up and down the lineup - and that includes the third pairing. What's the problem?

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Yeah, but not too much more. Hutton is a decent DMan but doesn't have super high upside. Lazar could easily be worth more than Hutton by the end of the year.

I saw every game Hutton played with the Nepean Raiders and you could see he was an NHL player. He's made huge strides since then. He looks like a sure thing top 4 dman in the not too distant future. Lazar doesn't even come close to getting Hutton.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Are you not the one advocating to get Quincey? Dorion said he's looking and trade options and I think Smith is a better option than him playing up and down the lineup - and that includes the third pairing. What's the problem?

As a 3rd pairing option? Sure.

And I honestly can't understand what you see in Smith that you'd take him over Quincey, outside of "staying healthy", which with Quincey it's obviously a gamble. Otherwise, I'm almost convinced you're just being contrarian here for the sake of being a contrarian and stirring the pot.

Smith is exactly the kind of player you normally would rail against - poor positional players with kind of bad hockey IQ and takes himself out of position way too much. I have no idea why you're going to bat here for him, unless all of a sudden you think Hero Charts aren't a steaming pile of horse manure, in which case: have at it.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
As a 3rd pairing option? Sure.

And I honestly can't understand what you see in Smith that you'd take him over Quincey, outside of "staying healthy", which with Quincey it's obviously a gamble. Otherwise, I'm almost convinced you're just being contrarian here for the sake of being a contrarian and stirring the pot

Ah, yes. Having a different opinion is stirring the pot now.

If you can't understand stand why I prefer Smith thats ok. That's the beauty of different opinions.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
If it was just one difference of opinion, that's one thing.

You're pretty contrarian across the board on a lot of things, regardless of time, thread or subject.

Just saying.
Any examples of me going against popular opinion? Curious.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Any examples of me going against popular opinion? Curious.

What, you want me spending the day going through your post history to prove an off the cuff remark about my impressions of you?

I have better things to do with my time, though I appreciate the offer. :laugh: You're just going to have to deal with the fact that my impressions of you lack any end notes or a proper bibliography. I'm just not that committed to the cause, chum.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
What, you want me spending the day going through your post history to prove an off the cuff remark about my impressions of you?

I have better things to do with my time, though I appreciate the offer. :laugh: You're just going to have to deal with the fact that my impressions of you lack any end notes or a proper bibliography. I'm just not that committed to the cause, chum.

Sure I go against popular opinions but mostly popular opinions on HFsens. For example everybody outside of HFsens knows Ryan is a 50 point winger who is garbage defensively; however, on HFsens the popular opinion - and your opinion in fact - is that he's a two-way stalwart that is great offensively.

I will end with this: an upgrade is needed on our defensive group and Brendan Smith is a good option, unlike Quincey who will demand too much $$ and has glass ankles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->