OT: 2016 Rio Summer Olympics

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Idea for a TV show: Elliot Friedman and Steve Harvey star in a show where they get the results of everyday situations wrong

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Money Penny just made this a very memorable Olympics for so many Canadians. Tough night for Friedman but I am a fan of his and he will adapt. Does remind me of Don Whittman and how freakin amazing he was at calling races. Really thought the raw emotion of Mark Tewksbury was a cool moment.

Have to admit I was pretty down on these Oly's coming into them but my wife called it....she said you always say you're not going to watch or care but you always get into it.....busted. :laugh:

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
You should cut Friedman some slack. He wasn't even suppose to be doing the commentary until Armitage had some heart issues. So he was changed in short notice. Friedman was suppose to be the sideline reporter (what David Amber is doing now)

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Feel bad for Friemann. Commentating isn't as easy as it seems and mistakes can happen to anyone. Pretty sure he wasn't even originally supposed to be the lead commentator for swimming.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Called her Emily overholt three times down the stretch. (She's a different Canadian swimmer) I miss ctv for olympics.

I don't. I do miss Steve Armitage, though.

You should cut Friedman some slack. He wasn't even suppose to be doing the commentary until Armitage had some heart issues. So he was changed in short notice. Friedman was suppose to be the sideline reporter (what David Amber is doing now)

I didn't know it was health issues. All the best to him.

I am--vocally--Friedman's biggest critic on HF Jets, but that's really just unfortunate and I feel for him. I'm not sure I've ever heard him do play by play on anything before, so it's definitely a tough situation (they should've just had Craig McMorris do it ;)).

It is notable that there were two stories that eclipsed all others going into the pool tonight on CBC Primetime and he/they botched both of them so badly. I wonder if it was nerves.

Yeah he had a rough night. Just watched the replay and they have already cleverly overdubbed his Overhart mistake. I don't think they can fix the Phelps Lochte race though.

Funny maybe he was actually thinking about Trouba negotiations earlier and had that name in his brain ;)

I'm glad to hear they just ADR'd it. For all we know this could be Canada's last summer gold until 2024 so the call should be an iconic one. Even if Canada win's another gold tomorrow we'll certainly want to see and hear Oleksiak's many times over the years.

She's just so endearingly awkward and an amazing representative of Canada on the Olympic stage. Go Penny!

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Is the replay on line somewhere? I find it extremely difficult to find replays of the events for some reason.

Cbcs site but its a pain. You have to go through the entire swimming. Well at least thats what I had to do to watch the 4x200. They may have a link to just Pennys race.

Just an absolutely amazing race. Unless something happens I say she'll dominate at the 2020 games in Tokyo

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Calling Olesiak "Overholt". It confused the crap out of me. And then CBC erased that audio during replays later on the news channel. That was worse than the Phelps mix-up because I knew in real time who was winning that race from the TV captions. I suppose if I knew there was no person names Overholt swimming in that race it would have been OK.

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Great silver in women's rowing! Men up next. Exciting day ahead, tennis bronze, trampoline, soccer quarter, swimming and track 10k. Lots of medal chances!

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
:dunno:
What else can you do?

I didn't think the Penny call was all that bad. The graphic that he's looking at was far from clear with an OR beside one swimmer, and a 1 beside another.

Either way, I'm over it. Honest mistake, it happens.

debatable as to which call was worse.
the Phelps call ruined a monumental moment. made zero sense. and then his flat "my mistake. Phelps...for gold." was just awful. simply awful.
if he took 1 second to look at his monitor, he would have seen that Phelps won.

the Penny call was more dreadful. a Canadian swimmer and he's calling the wrong name. she wins gold and i'm sitting there, going "why aren't the announcers even mentioning that she's medaled?"
for 3 minutes of on-air time, there is zero mention that Penny medaled. THAT is the inexcusable part.
sure, everyone was confused if it was gold or not, but they didn't even mention that.

also horrible has been CBC's beach volleyball broadcasts. they are getting 1/3 of all points wrong. just get rid of the audio, then. spikes are in and CBC's calling them out. they're missing touched net calls by the refs. getting the score wrong.

i also found Russell and Tewks in-studio thing to be really unnerving. Russell's on-couch posture's a mix between an outtake from a Weiser's whisky commercial and a creepy old man leering at girls on a Winnipeg Transit bus.

and don't get me started on David Amber. please, for the love of all that's holy, do 2 things, Amber:
1. slightly face the camera during your post-race interviews. very unprofessional to have your back to the camera.
2. please ask better questions. they're just horrawful

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Money Penny just made this a very memorable Olympics for so many Canadians. Tough night for Friedman but I am a fan of his and he will adapt. Does remind me of Don Whittman and how freakin amazing he was at calling races. Really thought the raw emotion of Mark Tewksbury was a cool moment.

Have to admit I was pretty down on these Oly's coming into them but my wife called it....she said you always say you're not going to watch or care but you always get into it.....busted. :laugh:

Tewksbury is a gem indeed. Penny, what can you say -- love her character and what raw talent

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Jumps really high and always near the x, she scored 47, 2nd so far, needs to be top 8 to move on, Chinese jumpers yet to come

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Crazy good stuff on tv

Update:

Us soccer headed to extra time, still tied in ET
Murray up 6-5 in the third set, Murray wins in third set tie break over American that will be in doubles match vs Canada in an hour
Golf is on
Maclenan will move on will finish 4-6th, I don't think scores carry on, she got 6th, Chinese look good, final will start soon

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Alright so I'm still figuring this out, maclenan just had her second jump and did very well, she will now move on to final where scores are wiped clean, will update her exact placing

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Cochrane will move on he finished 7th. Looks like USA Sweden going to soccer shootout. Ticks me off none of the Canadian stations showing swimming, watching nbc to see 1500 results and relays that are up
Edit:
Sorry don't want to post too many posts:
So weird nbc showing swimming, Cbc showing USA shootout.
Canada won their heat in the women's relay with backups. USA has four girls in and none will swim in final. Overall results, USA still got first with all backups, Canada second. Relays will be great tomorrow night Canada will battle for gold.

USA upset by Sweden in shootout thriller!

Great tv day! Trampoline final starting, maclenan third after round one where scores are wiped
Canada's women's basketball down two to USA after 1 quarter

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad