Does this interest anyone?

7 Juolevi
20 Jones
37 Pu

Or

7 Brown
20 Fabbro or McAvoy
37 Dineen or Clague

In agreement that the 2nd option is probably better.

The only issue that I take out of this is that we get a defenseman at #7 that may be considered a slight reach for the upside and the flip side is that if we wait until #20 to grab a defenseman, it is also possible that both Fabbro and McAvoy are taken before then. Just seems like bad return on value with either scenario.

Much more interested in moving back between #9 and #15 - practically guarantees that one of Fabbro/McAvoy is still on the board, and while there is a lot to like about Logan Brown's size, I like the idea of adding a Kunin, Gauthier, or even a work in progress like Laberge at #20 to add a right handed forward to the mix (one that could also play wing).

Going through the teams behind us, I think that we could be in the mix for a trade down with the following teams:

Montreal - Their 5 top defense prospects are all right-handed. Let's say that Dubois slips to #7 or Montreal is high on a player like Sergachev or Chychrun. Outside of Beaulieu and an aging Markov, not high on their left handed presence on D. #9 and any of those RH prospects for #7 and maybe a small add, depending on player?? We could still get Juolevi or Brown at #9 in addition to picking up a D prospect to fill in the gap.

Colorado - the forward prospect group is a little blah. Could go either D or forward. Probably one of those picks for picks type of trades with the Avs. #10, #70, and #190 for #7 and 2017 6th round pick??

New Jersey - ton of picks to go with, similar to Colorado and a lot of RH D prospects. #11 and Smith-Pelley for #7? Or picks only - #11, #101, and #104 for #7 and 2017 6th round pick?

Carolina - as mentioned by many before, #13 and #21 in play for #7 and a 2nd rounder or prospect/pick combo.

Minnesota - still my opinion that a deal of Scandella and #15 for #7 and Perlini could be considered near fair value, but may have to add a pick to it for Minnesota's liking. This is about as far down as I would drop to still think that there is a chance of picking up a Fabbro or McAvoy.

Reminder that trade value is not my thing, so very possible that I am undervaluing the return and AZ would need to add something to pick up Smith-Pelley or the picks involved are too much.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I remember being ticked off when the Coyotes passed on A. Steen 2x in 2002 (his dad was my favourite player growing up and a Jets' icon).

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sadly I was at that draft. We also bypassed Hudler 3 times.

After he put up a point per game in the Czech league and tore up his international age group tournies. And Czechs were super trendy in 2001. Makes no sense that he didn't go earlier. The size obsession of that era was just nuts.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
As the draft approaches and if it becomes clear the first 6 picks are Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Dubois and Brown, do the Coyotes:

A. Sit tight and pick the best Dman at 7?

B. Look to move up to 4 for Tkachuk? Assuming the cost is 7+20 for 4+32 (note: Edm doesn't have a 4th)

C. Trade 7OA to Minnesota for Brodin/Dumba or other young NHL Dman.

D. Trade down to 9 or 10 and add another high-mid 2nd.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Matthews, the Fins, Pulju and Tkachuk are pretty much gone by consensus. After that it wouldn't shock me if 6-8 different guys were that last top 6 pick ahead of the Yotes. Doing a mock right now where Brown wasn't even top 10.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Doesn't this sound like an Anthony LeBlanc quote in 4 weeks from now?

"Would we have liked to get Auston Matthews? Sure. But when you look at this draft, just six months ago, there were many scouts who had Jakob Chychrun competing for that top spot. Our scouts feel that he really rounds out our prospect pool in terms of our D core. Remember, this was a group of prospects that The Hockey News had ranked the best in all of hockey. We're excited, and we're confident that Coach Tippett can take Jakob's game to the next level."

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

"Would we have liked to get Auston Matthews? Sure. But when you look at this draft, just six months ago, there were many scouts who had Jakob Chychrun competing for that top spot. Our scouts feel that he really rounds out our prospect pool in terms of our D core. Remember, this was a group of prospects that The Hockey News had ranked the best in all of hockey. We're excited, and we're confident that Coach Tippett can take Jakob's game to the next level."

Mother of God

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
I hope we get Juolevi. Just think that he is going to be a star in this league. might be a tough decision for us between him, Chychrun, and Sergachev

Also looking back at the 2012 draft and it is ridiculous how many good defensemen went in the first round, especially in the top 10. There were a couple of probable busts in there, so some teams had to make some similar choices between defensemen projected to be really good.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ

:laugh: Word for word......well done!

Pretty much resigned myself to the fact we're taking Chychrun at 7.....and that's probably an OK thing.

rt

May 13, 2004
As the draft approaches and if it becomes clear the first 6 picks are Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Dubois and Brown, do the Coyotes:

B. Look to move up to 4 for Tkachuk? Assuming the cost is 7+20 for 4+32 (note: Edm doesn't have a 4th)

If COL will take 7 and 20 for Barrie and Barrie is open to signing a 7-8yr deal with us, that's the direction I'd go. Same for Trouba. I'm not willing to put any of Brodin, Dumba, or Scandella in that category. So my 1st preference would be to trade 7 and something reasonable for a top young NHL D.

If a really high-end NHL D like Barrie or Trouba isn't at a price point that makes sense for us, then I really like the idea of moving 7+20 for 4+32. I'd be thrilled to walk away with Tkachuk. And I think that's a reasonable price to pay. If EDM either picks Dubois or trades with someone who picks Dubois, then I'd happily do 7+20 for 5+33 with Vancouver to get Tkachuk at the five spot. This would be my 2nd best outcome (picking Tkachuk).

If neither EDM or VAN go for that and if the first six picks are Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Dubois and Brown, leaving us looking at picking one of Nylander, Keller or Jost or one of Chychrun, Juolevi or Sergachev, I'd defer to my OHL scouts. If they think that one of the OHL D is the clear winner, and well ahead of Nylander and McLeod then I'd go ahead and select that D. They're good scouts and there's so much OHL talent at the top of this draft that if they say one of those three D is BPA at 7th, then I'm taking that D. So I'd rate this as my 3rd most desired outcome (picking BPA D).

If the scouts are wishy washy on it, and think trading back is a good idea, then I'd trade back. That'd be my 4th most desired outcome (trading back).

rt

May 13, 2004
I hope we get Juolevi. Just think that he is going to be a star in this league. might be a tough decision for us between him, Chychrun, and Sergachev

Also looking back at the 2012 draft and it is ridiculous how many good defensemen went in the first round, especially in the top 10. There were a couple of probable busts in there, so some teams had to make some similar choices between defensemen projected to be really good.

I think Juolevi is by far the least likely to be a "star" in the NHL out of the three. I also think he's the least likely to be an outright bust.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Man, you've nailed him as well as I can ape Todd Walsh.

We should go on tour or something.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If COL will take 7 and 20 for Barrie and Barrie is open to signing a 7-8yr deal with us, that's the direction I'd go. Same for Trouba. I'm not willing to put any of Brodin, Dumba, or Scandella in that category. So my 1st preference would be to trade 7 and something reasonable for a top young NHL D.

If a really high-end NHL D like Barrie or Trouba isn't at a price point that makes sense for us, then I really like the idea of moving 7+20 for 4+32. I'd be thrilled to walk away with Tkachuk. And I think that's a reasonable price to pay. If EDM either picks Dubois or trades with someone who picks Dubois, then I'd happily do 7+20 for 5+33 with Vancouver to get Tkachuk at the five spot. This would be my 2nd best outcome (picking Tkachuk).

If neither EDM or VAN go for that and if the first six picks are Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Dubois and Brown, leaving us looking at picking one of Nylander, Keller or Jost or one of Chychrun, Juolevi or Sergachev, I'd defer to my OHL scouts. If they think that one of the OHL D is the clear winner, and well ahead of Nylander and McLeod then I'd go ahead and select that D. They're good scouts and there's so much OHL talent at the top of this draft that if they say one of those three D is BPA at 7th, then I'm taking that D. So I'd rate this as my 3rd most desired outcome (picking BPA D).

If the scouts are wishy washy on it, and think trading back is a good idea, then I'd trade back. That'd be my 4th most desired outcome (trading back).
Thanks. After seeing the deal Kevan Miller just got, I can only imagine what Barrie/Trouba might get.....even the deals Connor Murphy and Michael Stone might expect. Thanks Don Sweeney

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Minor detail: Barrie can't sign an 8 year deal with any team besides Colorado.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Minor detail: Barrie can't sign an 8 year deal with any team besides Colorado.

Colorado is not trading Barrie for picks. The coach/GM in Colorado need to win next year to keep their jobs. They will ask for Murphy and Reider, which we would never do, but the cost will be sky high for a player like Barrie.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Colorado is not trading Barrie for picks. The coach/GM in Colorado need to win next year to keep their jobs. They will ask for Murphy and Reider, which we would never do, but the cost will be sky high for a player like Barrie.

From what some Colorado fans have said in the trade board is that management and some fans believe Zadarov and Bigras are ready for the next step which means roster spots need to open up. They would rather get some prime assets for Barrie than pay for his contract and possibly have issues with contracts later.

It's more of asset management for them right now then needing to lose out on yet another great player. I don't think they want to a repeat of what happened with ROR and rather use the Barrie money for McKinnon, Duchene, TJ, Langs.

That being said, I still think they will want a lesser defenseman coming back, aka Stone.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

I like C the best but also like A.

If A, I want Juolevi. With OEL, Murphy, Stone we don't really need another star. I just want someone who is very unlikely to be bust and he would be that. But after seeing some of the Memorial Cup I do think Juolevi has a lot better chance to be a star than a lot of people seem to think.

If C I would rank the young D who are available(And not Ducks) as Barrie, Dumba, Trouba, Brodin.

Barrie and Dumba are both RHD and have offensive upside. With Barrie already putting up 50 pts and I believe Dumba has the potential to put up similar, he's just 21 too. For those two I'd have no issue giving more than just the 7th, maybe even 7/20.

With Trouba or Brodin I don't think I'd be happy with 7/20 being traded for em, they don't have as much offensive upside.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Wait? What? If we trade for him. And he's ours. Because we traded for him, he still can't sign a max length deal?

Nope. To sign a player to an 8 year deal they need to have been on the team roster since the most recent trade deadline.

Theoretically you could do a sign and trade with Colorado signing him to an 8 year deal, but that's NBA stuff, never happens in the NHL.

rt

May 13, 2004
Nope. To sign a player to an 8 year deal they need to have been on the team roster since the most recent trade deadline.

Theoretically you could do a sign and trade with Colorado signing him to an 8 year deal, but that's NBA stuff, never happens in the NHL.

We should crowd fund you. You need to be compensated for knowing absolutely everything about the CBA. At the very least, I want to say I really appreciate you. Thanks mouser!

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Saw a thread on the main board about Fowler to Edmonton for 4th OA.

Would anyone do 7th OA for Cam Fower? Would look nice as a second pairing LD. Would we add? Would Anaheim add?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Saw a thread on the main board about Fowler to Edmonton for 4th OA.

Would anyone do 7th OA for Cam Fower? Would look nice as a second pairing LD. Would we add? Would Anaheim add?

I think we add and I would. Big Fowler fan. I'm not sure we get him for anything close to a reasonable price though, I can't see Anaheim willing to part ways with him, especially in division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad