2016 NHL Draft - Part 2 - June 24th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Niagara fired their coach/GM Marty Williamson today (Of course they do this after Perlini is done in Niagara...) Anyway, a new vision in Niagara makes me a little more open to drafting Niagara players.

No replacement coach/GM named yet.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Niagara fired their coach/GM Marty Williamson today (Of course they do this after Perlini is done in Niagara...) Anyway, a new vision in Niagara makes me a little more open to drafting Niagara players.

No replacement coach/GM named yet.

I am sure he will be the new Tucson coach :)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Flyers fan coming in peace.

As part of the Grissmann/Pronger deal, AZ owes Philly a pick. It's supposed to be a 4th this year or a 3rd next year. Since you don't have a 4th this year, do you think AZ will acquire a 4th to give Philly, or just give us a 3rd next year.

Thanks on your thoughts.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

As part of the Grissmann/Pronger deal, AZ owes Philly a pick. It's supposed to be a 4th this year or a 3rd next year. Since you don't have a 4th this year, do you think AZ will acquire a 4th to give Philly, or just give us a 3rd next year.

Thanks on your thoughts.

I wouldn't be shocked that they acquire a 4th

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
I'd bet we don't acquire said 4th and PHI ends up with our 3rd next year.

How often do late picks get traded not at the deadline and not while a team is on the clock?

Do we have anyone whose UFA rights are worth a 4th? Probably not.

Do we have a roster player under contract who is worth a 4th but not significantly more than a 4th? Maybe Dauphin? I think I'd rather have Dauphin than next year's 3rd.

It's quite likely that in the middle of the 4th, a team will see a player who they think is slipping, and they'll offer up a 5th and a 6th for a 4th. Or a team's top 5 names will be picked clean right before their turn so they'll look to move down. But that's going to happen too late to help us with this transaction.

Bunting? Mayo? Warren's or Clifton's rights? Do we have a prospect who is worth a 4th but not significantly more than a 4th? A prospect Chayka doesn't want and who another team would want?

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I just figured we'd do something like trade back in the 3rd to pick up a 4th. Devils, Ducks and Hawks have multiple 4th round picks.
67 for 76 + 104
67 for 84 +114
67 for 82 + 112

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
With VAN moving McCann+33 for Gudbranson, we may have an ideal trade partner if EDM takes PLD. VAN may now have interest in 7(Brown) and 37(basically the pick they just lost) for 5(Tkachuk).

McCann and Tkachuk for Gudbranson and Brown actually makes a little sense.

I was going to ask about the same thing. Juolevi or Brown at 7 would have to be interesting to Benning. As a Canuck fan, I'd really think hard about this.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Saw another article of Friedman talking about Columbus possibly trading down. He mentioned them wanting Logan Brown. Their main priority is getting a center and they might not project Puljujarvi as one.

If that is true I think the Coyotes 7th would make the perfect pick for them to trade down for. I really don't see EDM, VAN, or CAL taking Brown.

I would really like Puljujarvi, I think it's guaranteed he's gonna be great NHLer which isn't true for the other guys who are gonna be available at 7. And I think he could make the jump to the NHL this year which would go well with Tipp & Co. desire to try and make the playoffs this year.

What do you think the cost would be to move to #3? 7,20 and the Bleackly second?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
I just figured we'd do something like trade back in the 3rd to pick up a 4th. Devils, Ducks and Hawks have multiple 4th round picks.
67 for 76 + 104
67 for 84 +114
67 for 82 + 112
When is the deadline to make this trade and get the pick in the mail to Philly? Can we do it during the draft? Those trades are all fine, just that when teams trade up an down, they're usually targeting a specific player and it seems unlikely that a team would make that trade on May 28th when they have no idea what the first 66 picks look like.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I imagine the 'deadline' is the end of the 4th round. If we can make something happen on the floor, I don't see why that shouldn't count.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Saw another article of Friedman talking about Columbus possibly trading down. He mentioned them wanting Logan Brown. Their main priority is getting a center and they might not project Puljujarvi as one.

If that is true I think the Coyotes 7th would make the perfect pick for them to trade down for. I really don't see EDM, VAN, or CAL taking Brown.

I would really like Puljujarvi, I think it's guaranteed he's gonna be great NHLer which isn't true for the other guys who are gonna be available at 7. And I think he could make the jump to the NHL this year which would go well with Tipp & Co. desire to try and make the playoffs this year.

What do you think the cost would be to move to #3? 7,20 and the Bleackly second?

Considering their greatest need at the moment is D, picking Juolevi or Sergachyov at 7 wouldn't be horrible.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

I now believe Brown will go no later than 6th. Vancouver and Columbus both want a center a la Dubois or Brown. Calgary would love to trade up to get Pulju.

I suppose the Coyotes are fine because of all the center depth Maloney built. They can take BPA at 7 and be content. I still find myself hoping for a center, probably because we needed one for so long. Missing out on Brown by one pick would sting for me.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I now believe Brown will go no later than 6th. Vancouver and Columbus both want a center a la Dubois or Brown. Calgary would love to trade up to get Pulju.

I suppose the Coyotes are fine because of all the center depth Maloney built. They can take BPA at 7 and be content. I still find myself hoping for a center, probably because we needed one for so long. Missing out on Brown by one pick would sting for me.

If CBJ doesn't trade down they're taking Pulju. Who do you see EDM, VAN, and CAL taking? I've always seen it as Tkachuk, PLD, and a dman. Maybe not in that order.

With Strome and Dvorak I don't see their being a need at all for a C. If a C is clearly BPA then take him. But idk if Brown is BPA at #7, PLD def. would be tho.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If Columbus keeps their pick and Brown is indeed taken 6th then We get our pick of the Defense or Jost/Keller. If one of those players falls, we take whoever fell. I see almost no way we can lose in this draft.

Last edited:

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Logan Brown definitely seems like a Brian Burke type of pick by the Flames. I know he's not the GM in Calgary, but he definitely has his influence.

Keep seeing that the Canucks like PLD.

All depends what Edmonton does at 4. IMO Tkachuk is the clear pick at 4OV but Edmonton needs D. They could very well trade the pick and the acquiring team ends up taking Tkachuk.

Tkachuk may fall into our lap at 7... That definitely makes the Chychrun/Juolevi/Sergachev debate quite a bit easier. Tkachuk at 7 and McAvoy or Fabbro at 20? Yes please.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Thanks on your thoughts.

I wouldn't be shocked that they acquire a 4th

Most likely scenario would be a trade down from the Bleackley compensation pick in a package that adds a 4th rounder.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I'd move up for Puljujarvi if it just took picks. 7+20+???

I would do that and even a little more if needed. I would like to keep 20OA with the chance of drafting a good defense prospect but any chance to get Puljujarvi would be a sacrifice I would have to take. But I would prefer to trade 7OA with one of our B prospects like Merkley, Macinnis or someone like that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd rank Werenski #4 in this draft. What about y'all? Maybe EDM thinking that they are too stacked on LD with Nurse, Klefbom, Reinhart, Davidson etc is willing to move down to #7 for #37. Maybe CBJ is willing to accept our #4 for Werenski. CBJ takes Puljujarvi at #3 and Logan Brown at #4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad