2016 NHL Draft - Part 2 - June 24th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Who would folks prefer if it came down to Nylander vs Brown?

I'd go Brown too. We have plenty of smallish forwards, so adding someone with size that plays well for his age (and size) is a good thing.

Nylander may turn out well in a few seasons, but it seems like there are more forwards his size and skill (roughly) in our system at the moment so it would possibly bury him in depth a bit.

I'm not saying I'd be unhappy with them picking Nylander (I trust our current scouts), I just think Brown is a better combination of BPA/Need for this team.

Now, if it came down to deciding between Nylander and Keller, I'd probably go with Keller (although the college hockey thing is somewhat disconcerting)

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
GM in question has a background in scouting. Trust me his team will not be taking him at their pick. I guarantee that based on his tone.

So likely Murray, Bergevin, Kekalainen, Benning or Chiarelli if i had to guess.

Kekalainen is the only one who's opinion i happen to respect out of the bunch, but even so 1 previous scouts opinion vs another scouts opinions, so at worst its a wash in arguments sake, but i will stand behind all the things i've said about Chychrun because i have failed to see justified arguments about how he has no hockey sense. Only that a GM has said that a close to PPG D and top 10 (arguably top 5) NHL prospect somehow has no hockey sense
If you don't like him though thats fine, not everyone will like the same prospects, that's just reality, and it happens at the draft every year, thats how Larkin and Fabbri fell for examples, but most times a player falls for unjustified reasons teams often end up regretting it

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Oh I was at the U18s. Chychrun was not good. He was an easy guy to downgrade. He is without a doubt the one name I do not want to hear at 7.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Brown without a doubt. I think he can be a 2nd line center or a 1st line wing. Nylander looks to me like a 2nd or 3rd line wing.

Yeah Nylander has Boedker 2.0 / Okposo written all over him. I'm sure he will have a decent NHL career but I want a player with more dimension at 7.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Does this interest anyone?

7 Juolevi
20 Jones
37 Pu

Or

7 Brown
20 Fabbro or McAvoy
37 Dineen or Clague

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I remember liking Larkin at the time, I think a lot of us forced ourselves to like the Perlini pick lol
I wanted Nick Ritchie or Alex Tuch. Ritchie went ahead of the Yotes pick so wasn't an option but Tuch was there. That said it's way too early to call it, particularly when dealing with bigger players which includes Perlini.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Does this interest anyone?

7 Juolevi
20 Jones
37 Pu

Or

7 Brown
20 Fabbro or McAvoy
37 Dineen or Clague

Brown at 7
McAvoy at 20
Clague at 37

Would be perfect to me. I want McAvoy pretty badly. I'd even trade up to get him.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
I start to wonder at what point it becomes a legitimate strategy to just draft all of the London Knights we can in the top 2 rounds. :laugh:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
A little exercise to remind myself how much I have no idea what I'm doing.

A game of My Pick - Yo(tes) Pick for the last decade. Who I wanted versus who we got:

2006 - My Pick: Bryan Little - Yo Pick: Peter Mueller
2007 - My Pick: Kyle Turris - Yo Pick: Kyle Turris
2008 - My Pick: Mikkel Boedker - Yo Pick: Mikkel Boedker
2009 - My Pick: Magnus Paajarvi - Yo Pick: OEL
2010 - My Pick: Brandon Gormley - Yo Pick: Brandon Gormley
2010 - My Pick: Emerson Etem - Yo Pick: Mark Visentin
2011 - My Pick: Boone Jenner - Yo Pick: Connor Murphy
2012 - My Pick: Samuelsson - Yo Pick: Samuelsson
2013 - My Pick: Max Domi - Yo Pick: Max Domi
2014 - My Pick: Robby Fabbri - Yo Pick: Brendan Perlini
2015 - My Pick: Dylan Strome - Yo Pick: Dylan Strome
2015 - My Pick: Nick Merkley - Yo Pick: Nick Merkley

Very interesting post. I will have to go back thru my draft issues of the hockey news to refresh my memories. I am not knowledgeable enough to actually grade out players (I don't watch nearly enough junior hockey to do so - heck many of the prospects I have only seen 1 or 2 times). Mostly I use Bob McKenzie s list and weed out some players based on my own observations and biases.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Very interesting post. I will have to go back thru my draft issues of the hockey news to refresh my memories. I am not knowledgeable enough to actually grade out players (I don't watch nearly enough junior hockey to do so - heck many of the prospects I have only seen 1 or 2 times). Mostly I use Bob McKenzie s list and weed out some players based on my own observations and biases.

I found this older post, too:

I've only been keeping track since '01

Year
Position of Phoenix's pick - Player I would've picked (Position player was actually picked) (player actually picked by Phoenix)

'01
11th - Jay Harrison (82nd) (Fredrik Sjostrom)
31st - Darrin McLachlan (77th) (Matthew Spiller)
45th - Jordin Tootoo (98th) (Martin Podlesak)

'02
19th - Ben Eager (23rd) (Jakub Kories)
20th - Johnny Boychuck (61st) (Ben Eager)
46th - Aaron Nittel (85th) (David LeNeveu)

'03
NO PICKS

'04
5th - Rostislav Olesz (7th) (Blake Wheeler)
35th - Kirill Lyamin (58th) (Logan Stephenson)
50th - Juraj Gracik (142nd) (Enver Lisin)

'05
17th - Niklas Bergfors (23rd) (Martin Hanzal)
59th - Radek Smolenak (73rd) (Pier-Olivier Pelletier)
105th - Slava Trukhno (120nd) (Keith Yandle)

'06
8th - Bryan Little (12th) (Peter Mueller)
29th - Blake Geoffrion (56th) (Chris Summers)
88th - Oskar Osala (97th) (Jonas Ahnelov)

'07
3rd - Kyle Turris (3rd) (Kyle Turris)
30th - Bill Sweatt (38th) (Nick Ross)
32nd - Oscar Moller (52nd) (Brett Maclean)

‘08
8th - Mikkel Boedker (8th) (Mikkel Boedker)
28th - Jyri Niemi (72nd) (Viktor Tikhonov)
49th - Adam Comrie (80th) (Jared Staal)

--The Coyotes are terrible at drafting. I'm much worse. haha.

If I was drafting in '05 that would have been the death knell of the entire franchise. They'd be back in Winnipeg.

If I took over in '06, we'd have had a couple of better forwards, no OEL, and probably would've been bad enough to get Eichel last year and Tkachuk this year. Haha. We'd still be doomed. haha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad