NFL: 2016 NFL Offseason News & Notes Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
LOL, they finally find a decent QB and they're shuffling their feet about keeping him? Could be years before they have another one as good. Get him now on a reasonable 4-year-deal, from what I saw last year he is the real thing. He'd get no less than $6-7 million a year on the open market right now and that's VERY conservative. Probably closer to 10. This cat can ball, man.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I question if he's the real deal.

He went off, but the teams the Redskins faced were laughably bad.

Honestly, i tag him. More money yeah, but the Skins have a tougher schedule. Let him prove if he's legit.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
LOL, they finally find a decent QB and they're shuffling their feet about keeping him? Could be years before they have another one as good. Get him now on a reasonable 4-year-deal, from what I saw last year he is the real thing. He'd get no less than $6-7 million a year on the open market right now and that's VERY conservative. Probably closer to 10. This cat can ball, man.

im confused. people were saying he stinks, he hasant beaten anyone good. now its lol at the redskins? how can it be both ways? (not you personally, just other people) the skins and cousins discussed and discussed. for all we know cousins wanted 13-15 mil a year, we know nothing

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The Skins need to avoid the Tannehill pitfall. Don't pay the guy all the money long-term based on 75% of a good season just because you haven't had a stable QB in decades. Miami made that mistake, Cincy initially looked like they made that mistake before Dalton turned it around, etc.

I'm aware the tag will be big money anyway, but that's over a short term. You give him the tag, see if he can perform against a tougher slate at or around the same level then you give him whatever.

Sep 19, 2008
RT @pfrumors The latest on Washington and Kirk Cousins: The two sides aren't progressing toward a long-term deal https://t.co/W0Tfye92lH

Franchise the boy. I can understand why they'd be reluctant to extend him given the sample size.

Sep 19, 2008

Against the three best teams he faced (NE, Carolina, Green Bay) and even the Jets, he looked mediocre.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

It's going to be much higher. Redskins reporters are speculating it'll likely be $15-20M/yr. Probably a large amount guaranteed as well on a long-term deal. Which is why it might not be a terrible idea to just franchise him and do this again next year.

Sep 19, 2008
Whatever they end up doing with Cousins, I'm fine with it. Remember who's in charge now. It's not like they're going to let Cousins walk and put in RG3 and have Danny run things. No. Scot runs things now. And if Scot feels like we can't give Cousins a big ass contract then it's done, he's not getting that big deal until he does more.

Cousins was good last year don't get me wrong but there was still more he could have worked on. I think he has a world of potential but I'm not ready to latch onto him yet. Apparently the FO didn't think so either. What we have to do is trust what they're doing. They have not made many missteps so far. Legitimate people run this front office now. And if they don't think Cousins is worth a long term deal at this point, who am I to argue?

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
yea if cousins can play under the tag for one year, prove it, then he can be worth 18+millions per year, but as good as he was in the last ten games this season, he was just as bad in the 10+ games before that

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Against the three best teams he faced (NE, Carolina, Green Bay) and even the Jets, he looked mediocre.

8 out of the last 10 games his passer rating was over 100. And most of them way over 100. And 70% completion percentage. You can't fake accuracy like that, and he's hitting his 3rd and 4th reads routinely. He bears an uncanny resemblance to Drew Brees circa 2004.

$15 million does sound kind of crazy, but with an incentive-loaded contract it's not out of the question. If he has another statistical season like he did last year $15 million is a relative bargain in this current QB market. He'd be like the 17th highest paid QB in the league.

Elvis P

Chips from the chocolate fireball
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
"I mean, unicorns are cool. But I prefer dinosaurs, honestly. One day, I had black tights on and I was running down the field and I just felt like a unicorn. I didn't feel like a horse. I felt like a unicorn. So I just say the Black Unicorn. There was nothing special about it. It was just spur of the moment. I like it, though. I like the nickname. It's like the Black Mamba for Kobe (Bryant). The Black Unicorn. It's magical. I enjoy magic. I'm a Harry Potter fan."
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/stor...-bennett-drawn-chicago-bears-brandon-marshall

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Foles did.

Even in his best year Foles only hit 64%. Major difference between that and 70%. The NFL single-season record is 71%. Cousins' 2015 is #8 all-time best completion percentage for a single season. Foles' 2013 comes in at #155. Completion percentage is consistently a solid indicator of high end QB performance.

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
Was asked about #Eagles QB situation: One name to watch is #KCChiefs FA QB Chase Daniel. Coach Doug Pederson views him as more than a backup
9:09am - 18 Feb 16

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
That includes YACs though. If he throws a bunch of balls to Matt Jones and he takes off, that's going to inflate his YPA.

It will, but YPA also shouldn't be ruled out outright. I mean you have to complete a throw in order for someone to get YAC. I admittedly didn't see a lot of Washington, but I really don't have a picture of him being a dink and dunk QB.

And I found the site that tracks what they call air yards, you'll find Cousins sitting pretty at the 10th spot:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-air-yards/2015/

You'll also find out that over 54% of his yards came from air yards, which is more than Brady, Brees, Manning etc.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Fair enough. I think he's earned a franchise tag, but I'd be wary about him not hitting that level again. Most of his best games came against poor defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad