NFL: 2016 NFL Offseason News & Notes Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The smart move would be to franchise him, because lets be realistic he's not going to sign something short term and without a lot of guaranteed money, especially given that half the league has money to burn and decent QB's are few and far between.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The smart move would be to franchise him, because lets be realistic he's not going to sign something short term and without a lot of guaranteed money, especially given that half the league has money to burn and decent QB's are few and far between.

Right now the Redskins have all the leverage. If you franchise him and he duplicates his season then he has all the leverage, and players do NOT like getting franchised so you've sort of burned a bridge unnnecessarily.

However, if you sign him to something like 4 years/40 million with incentives that push that to $60 million or so, he'd be dumb not to take that right now. Worst case scenario, you've spent $10 million a year on an average QB which is just about in line with the rest of the league and he would not be a terribly hard asset to move (or contract to dump) if you need to.

Can you find me a QB in the league who has proven as little as Cousins? The dude had one good year, pumping his stats against bad teams. He doesn't need $100 million.

Nobody's talking about 100 million, but Cousins passes the eye test with flying colors. 4th year breakout for a QB is just about right, especially when you consider he only played a total of 14 games his first 3 seasons. 14 games of live experience is not enough to sufficiently judge a young QB. A full season in his fourth year is far more likely to be an accurate indicator of what he is.

I don't know, I just see Drew Brees redux here. Again it's more about the eye test than anything else.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Right now the Redskins have all the leverage. If you franchise him and he duplicates his season then he has all the leverage, and players do NOT like getting franchised so you've sort of burned a bridge unnnecessarily.

However, if you sign him to something like 4 years/40 million with incentives that push that to $60 million or so, he'd be dumb not to take that right now. Worst case scenario, you've spent $10 million a year on an average QB which is just about in line with the rest of the league and he would not be a terribly hard asset to move if you need to.

I realize players hate franchise tags, and in a way rightfully so, but I really doubt he sign a deal that pays him 10mil per, especially if it isn't guaranteed. He'll get his money, if not from the 'Skins someone else will pony up.

I'll quote TMV from the Avs board on what QB's made last year in the NHL:

There were 20 QB's in the NFL with an average salary of 12M a year last year. 18 of them are over 16M. As far as Cap hit goes, you had 20 making 13M. QB's get money, that's just the way it goes.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I realize players hate franchise tags, and in a way rightfully so, but I really doubt he sign a deal that pays him 10mil per, especially if it isn't guaranteed. He'll get his money, if not from the 'Skins someone else will pony up.

I'll quote TMV from the Avs board on what QB's made last year in the NHL:

I wasn't trying to nitpick numbers, I just guessed. My point was, give him something that baselines at the league average with incentives that if reached would put him in the top 5-10 neighborhood. From what I know of Cousins he is the kind of guy who will be likely to bet on his own success.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Speaking of franchise tags, Miami seems to be leaning towards using theirs on Olivier Vernon while at the same time holding on to Cam Wake.

I'm not really sure how you make that work under the cap, but i guess they're gonna try.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Speaking of franchise tags, Miami seems to be leaning towards using theirs on Olivier Vernon while at the same time holding on to Cam Wake.

I'm not really sure how you make that work under the cap, but i guess they're gonna try.

that would make malik jackson very happy.

not sure if they can create enough space but they can release guys like coples, grimes, cameron, jordan, jennings, misi, mccain.. re-structuring suh and wake.

that's just on a quick look but not sure if that's enough.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah my look brought me to the same conclusion. Grimes and Jennings would almost have to go in that situation and i don't think that's enough.

Unless if they bring back Wake on an incentive heavy deal, i don't see how you can have your cake and eat it too. I love the guy, but it makes sense to keep the guy who's younger and has really come into his own. On the other hand, having Wake, Suh and Vernon together could be a nightmare for opponents.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
actually, i think they can manage it but then they wouldn't be able to do much with other flaws on the team.

so not sure if that is the best way to go to have one more year of vernon unless they are serious about extending him too.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
Was asked about #Eagles QB situation: One name to watch is #KCChiefs FA QB Chase Daniel. Coach Doug Pederson views him as more than a backup
9:09am - 18 Feb 16

Not a big surprise, wants to bring in his own guy and knows him well. Can see him adding a vet QB too help out.

Sep 19, 2008
News showing a story about how Eddie George is doing broadway plays after retirement. Great story.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 38m38 minutes ago
#Bears tidbit: Assumption has been they'll tag WR Alshon Jeffery. I'm told no decision has been made & there's a chance he hits the market

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
News showing a story about how Eddie George is doing broadway plays after retirement. Great story.

Eddie George might be the only guy the NFL can use and be like "see CTE isn't real!"

Incredible that he can memorize lines considering how physical of a runner he was for so long.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

After all of those pre-draft questions about character and weed, it only takes him one season to get suspended.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't see that happening. Bears have a ton of cap space and they can't be that dumb.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
wasn't there a report that jeffrey wasn't happy in chicago or something?

but still, even if they can't make it work long-term, he should at least get the tag. i don't think they'll let him walk, kid should be one of the 3 most obvious tags in this offseason.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

He failed four tests in less than a year.

It's unfortunate if it was all for weed because I agree with those who say they shouldn't be testing for it in the first place but you still have to be smarter. Talented player so hopefully he gets it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad