NFL: 2016 NFL Offseason News & Notes Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
And yet he is giving 3rd round production. It is funny Jacksonville used two weconds that year on receivers and signed one udfa. The low second and the udfa make a quality one two punch and the high second rounder has no clear future.

Lee was always overrated. Robinson is a legit talent.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Since he was a bit of a hot topic earlier this offseason, the Steelers DB coach Carnell Lake let some fans know about why Brandon Boykin was let go. Apparently he has a degenerative hip condition which will limit his career.. Makes sense why teams won't commit to him, and likely explains why he's bounced around a bit.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Saints and Cowboys are supposedly in trade talks about Ronald Leary.

What's interesting is that the Cowboys tried to sign Tim Lelito away from the Saints a few weeks with an RFA offer sheet, but the Saints matched. Now the Cowboys are trying to trade away their best depth player at that same position. Hmmm

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Since he was a bit of a hot topic earlier this offseason, the Steelers DB coach Carnell Lake let some fans know about why Brandon Boykin was let go. Apparently he has a degenerative hip condition which will limit his career.. Makes sense why teams won't commit to him, and likely explains why he's bounced around a bit.

He still presumably passed a physical and made 850k on one year with the Panthers. This was before they drafted 3 CBs. He hasn't really been limited thus far. I still don't understand the sign and release. Let him prove that he can't keep up on the field, then cut him. He didn't even make it to training camp.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
He was fine last year, I thought. At his age he's not going to make or break anyone's team, but he was a nice complimentary player. He was one of those guys with the automatically voidable years when he first signed. He'd probably still be around if his contract were longer (IE, not cut for poor play).

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
He still presumably passed a physical and made 850k on one year with the Panthers. This was before they drafted 3 CBs. He hasn't really been limited thus far. I still don't understand the sign and release. Let him prove that he can't keep up on the field, then cut him. He didn't even make it to training camp.

If you're likely to cut him anyway, if he's a long shot to make the team, then why keep him? All you're doing is preventing him from seeking a contract from a team that doesn't view him as likely to be cut (though if he couldn't cut it on the Panthers sans Norman, I don't think he can cut it anywhere).

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
If you're likely to cut him anyway, if he's a long shot to make the team, then why keep him? All you're doing is preventing him from seeking a contract from a team that doesn't view him as likely to be cut (though if he couldn't cut it on the Panthers sans Norman, I don't think he can cut it anywhere).

What I mean is, if he was under contract for another year at the same price, he probably would have made the team. But they didn't want to deal with negotiating a new deal.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
He was fine last year, I thought. At his age he's not going to make or break anyone's team, but he was a nice complimentary player. He was one of those guys with the automatically voidable years when he first signed. He'd probably still be around if his contract were longer (IE, not cut for poor play).

I thought the Saints made a mistake cutting him when they did, his last season with them he was as good as he had ever been, albeit in a limited role. He'll be a good third/fourth safety but I think they're bringing him in more for his leadership and mentoring than whatever he does on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad