2016 Draft Thread III – Host: Buffalo – Pick: 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scherbs

Feb 16, 2016
Ontario
I want to see Bean in the Sabres organization, and i hope they find a deal with someone in the first round to make it happen. I'd more than welcome them trading off a roster player to make it happen.

Those sort of D men are becoming critical to the way hockey is won now.

Agreed. On the same boat.

Would be thrilled if we traded up after our pick at 8th and got him somewhere mid-first round.. However, can only assume that's unlikely to happen.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Let's see...

1 - Toronto - Matthews. Duh.
2 - Winnipeg - Laine. Duh.
3 - Columbus - Dubois. I could see them finding PLD's power game too enticing to let past.
4 - Edmonton - Puljujarvi
5 - Vancouver - Tkachuk
6 - Calgary - Jost. I could actually see him going at 5 too. We'll see.
7 - Arizona - I think they go defense here. Chychrun, Sergachev, or Juolevi.
8 - Buffalo - .....

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Let's see...

3 - Columbus - Dubois. I could see them finding PLD's power game too enticing to let past.
5 - Vancouver - Tkachuk
8 - Buffalo - .....

After swinging and missing on some forwards like Zherdev in the past, I doubt Columbus goes for any more of the tap in with Puljujarvi. Maybe they trade back if someone is willing to overpay

Vancouver has said they are going defense this year if they didn't win the lottery, with Juolevi being the guy they are rumored to want.

http://thecanuckway.com/2016/04/29/vancouver-canucks-pick-defenseman-2016-nhl-draft/

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Let's see...

5 - Vancouver - Tkachuk
8 - Buffalo - .....

1 - Toronto - Matthews. yep.
2 - Winnipeg - Laine. yep.
3 - Columbus - Dubois. - They could use a young center
4 - Edmonton - Chychrun - I think they go defense and with GMPC and his love for heavy and athletic d-men, Chychrun is a good fit.
5 - Vancouver - Puljujarvi
6 - Calgary - Tkachuk
7 - Arizona - WILDCARD for me, this is the one I will be watching closely.
8 - Buffalo - Left with one of Nylander, Juolevi, or Serg. I'm okay with the pick in terms of talent level, will be interesting how they go here.

BSabres

Sep 24, 2013
After swinging and missing on some forwards like Zherdev in the past, I doubt Columbus goes for any more of the tap in with Puljujarvi. Maybe they trade back if someone is willing to overpay

Vancouver has said they are going defense this year if they didn't win the lottery, with Juolevi being the guy they are rumored to want.

http://thecanuckway.com/2016/04/29/vancouver-canucks-pick-defenseman-2016-nhl-draft/

Anytime a GM says they will go in one direction pre-draft they almost always do the opposite. Why would they blatantly show their hand?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Let's see...

5 - Vancouver - Tkachuk
8 - Buffalo - .....

If any team in the top 3 passes on those three they made a major mistake. But besides that I can see something like that happening.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
I think the draft is going to play out in a very predictable way.

Edmonton isn't going to get the defenseman they want for the 4th pick via trade. With Harmonic off the market, the two big movers are Fowler and Brodin. I can see Fletcher holding on to Brodin in hopes of landing RNH or Duchene. And neither team is in rebuild mode - I think Anaheim and Minnesota want NHL players for their defenseman. So I think Edmonton makes the pick, and trades players off their roster for defense help.

For the same reasons, Murray isn't going to find anyone to trade for with the 8th pick. So Buffalo makes the pick.

Benning pumped the defensemen's tires... he can't be so open to give away his intentions?

Toronto isn't going to finish last and then not draft a franchise center. Center is too important, and the Toronto front office would get crushed by the Toronto media for not taking the top rated center.

McKenzie is pretty accurate with his scout-based average rankings in the top ten. His top ten go: Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Dubois, Nylander, Juolevi, Sergachev, Chychrun, Keller. I don't think teams will go that far off of those players. I went with one earlier or later than the McKenzie rankings.

I think it goes very predictably:

1. TOR: Matthews. Laine might be with him in talent, but finishing last equals drafting a franchise center.

2. WPG: Laine. Easy pick for Winnipeg, and they'll milk the Selanne-Finn connection.

3. CLB: Puljujarvi. Columbus needs a center, but they're likely to sink further and be in the Nolan Patrick derby next season.

4. EDM: Tkachuk. While Chychrun or Juolevi make sense, I think GMPC is looking to trade for a more developed center (RNH for Brodin?). Tkachuk has toughness and intensity that Edmonton needs.

5. VAN: Dubois. Vancouver is also likely to continue to sink as their stars age. Benning can't pass on getting a good center at 5.

6. CAL: Nylander. Calgary needs some scoring from RW. Nylander is a really good fit. If any team goes off the board with a pick, I think it's Calgary picking Logan Brown.

7. ARZ: Juolevi. Arizona has a lot going for it at forward, but needs some defense. I think Juolevi is the safer (higher floor, lower ceiling) player that can compliment OEL.

8. BUF: Chychrun. Higher ceiling player drops to Buffalo at 8. GMTM needs to get a LHD in UFA or trade to break Chychrun in properly.

Isn't OEL a LHD who plays on the left side? How would Joulevi compliment him? They would never be on the ice at same time. I think they might go for Sergachev, he plays the right side even though he's a lefty.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Isn't OEL a LHD who plays on the left side? How would Joulevi compliment him? They would never be on the ice at same time. I think they might go for Sergachev, he plays the right side even though he's a lefty.

Why does he have to play with OEL? why not anchor two pairings.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If Pulju is on the board, and the team drafting sees him as an elite player, you're not moving back to 8 for Bogosian

If the Oilers can move some wingers for D, then there is zero chance that they move out of 4 if he gets past C'Bus.

Regardless, it will be a wonderful continuation of the Oilers just having forward after forward after forward as BPA when they pick in the first outside of Nurse.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Or other coaches/teams think differently than Buffalo fans and maybe don't care about handedness and which side they play on. They may care whether or not the guy has chemistry with a player and are positively impactful on the ice.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
"Buffalo fans"

Does that also include the far more meaningful Buffalo GM and Buffalo coach who have been vocal about there desire for that specific thing? Or was it just to pretend it's some thing people here made up?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'm struggling to see how both OJ and Chychrun are not both gone by our pick.

I almost see it more realistic that one of PLD, Tkachuk or Nylander is available at 8.

Where is your cut off for the next tier of players? Is Sergachev or someone like JB in the same class as those forwards from a prospect big board perspective?

We will see.

I see it exactly opposite. I don't see how PLD, Tkachuk, or Nylander make it to 8. Which means two of the defenseman will be available.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Arizona has one solid pair. Juolevi helps them with a second, dependable pair.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
For what it's worth, Button has us getting Chychrun at 8.

http://www.tsn.ca/leafs-still-take-matthews-in-latest-mock-draft-1.489187

"- If you don’t draft quality defencemen it is incredibly difficult to acquire them in today’s NHL. Look around the league at the homegrown blueliners and you’ll see why finding them in the draft is so important. "

I hate quoting Button, but he is spot on. BPA means nothing if you can't acquire what you need at a workable price. The weak and expensive trade market and nonexistent UFA market have made his point abundantly clear over the last two years.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Let's see...

5 - Vancouver - Tkachuk
8 - Buffalo - .....

That's an interesting take, but I doubt they move off Puljujarvi. Any team that passes on him will regret it. He two way game, speed are marvelous. He's my favorite prospect in the draft, just ahead of Tkachuk.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
For what it's worth, Button has us getting Chychrun at 8.

http://www.tsn.ca/leafs-still-take-matthews-in-latest-mock-draft-1.489187

When it comes to drafts, worst case scenario is often the most realistic. Chychrun is the only player in the consensus top 8 that gives me pause, and yet, he could possibly end up a top 3 player in this draft. I would be worried about rushing him as a prospect because he's so physically ready. But I don't think he'll be a top 4 caliber dman for a few years. Still, my worst case scenario is you get the highest upside D in the draft, on the side the organization needs, at 8. Not too bad.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's an interesting take, but I doubt they move off Puljujarvi. Any team that passes on him will regret it. He two way game, speed are marvelous. He's my favorite prospect in the draft, just ahead of Tkachuk.

I love Puljujarvi. I also question Columbus' organizational actions. :laugh:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
"- If you don’t draft quality defencemen it is incredibly difficult to acquire them in today’s NHL. Look around the league at the homegrown blueliners and you’ll see why finding them in the draft is so important. "

I hate quoting Button, but he is spot on. BPA means nothing if you can't acquire what you need at a workable price. The weak and expensive trade market and nonexistent UFA market have made his point abundantly clear over the last two years.
This is incredibly bad logic, especially if you believe that all the defensemen in the draft are 2+ years away from positively impacting an NHL top four.

We'd be much better off spending 8 on a forward - who likely has the higher upside and contributes to a lineup sooner - and adding our 2nd/3rd round pick to the Pysyk/McCabe/Guhle/Bogren stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad