Player Discussion: 2016 Draft round 4 #120 overall Otto Koivula

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
never seen him play, but it seems like we have a player on our hands here...when do you expect he may be able to make the jump over to NA? he already has a big frame

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
His skating needs a lot of work. I would say that being NHL level ready would require 2-3 years. However, I would have said the same about Laine a year ago - despite he was considered a much more better prospect. These youngsters have a tendency to surprise us all.

One more year in Finland, then to AHL and after that everything is open. He has a frame, shot and hands to become a great player, but I would not consider him yet a sure shot. The jump from FEL to NHL is big. Otto has no real weaknesses, but also no such strengths (like Laine´s shot) that would make him a top level prospect.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
His skating needs a lot of work. I would say that being NHL level ready would require 2-3 years. However, I would have said the same about Laine a year ago - despite he was considered a much more better prospect. These youngsters have a tendency to surprise us all.

One more year in Finland, then to AHL and after that everything is open. He has a frame, shot and hands to become a great player, but I would not consider him yet a sure shot. The jump from FEL to NHL is big. Otto has no real weaknesses, but also no such strengths (like Laine´s shot) that would make him a top level prospect.

Not really clear. You seem to suggest that his skating is a real weakness, but then said he has no real weaknesses.

nc1972

Jun 3, 2006
Blue/White

Well I saw him at the prospects game and he caught my eye. you noticed him when he was out there. He did something on most shifts to make you look at your program and say who is this guy. I remember leaving and thinking ok there's a good find.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
@periferal: skating is improving all the time, so it is not a "permanent weakness" that could become a problem for the NHL career

Otto has now 15 points in 28 games. He is leading the rookie scoring in the Finnish league. The team (Ilves) has played bad overall and been quite ineffective. One reason for that has been injuries and that the teams with bigger budgets have got their engine running. Otto is still getting a lot of ice-time in PP, but has not been as productive as earlier in the season.

Otto was selected to the final camp for U20 WJC team and at this time it looks like should make the team and get a slot in 1.-2. lines.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
@periferal: skating is improving all the time, so it is not a "permanent weakness" that could become a problem for the NHL career

Otto has now 15 points in 28 games. He is leading the rookie scoring in the Finnish league. The team (Ilves) has played bad overall and been quite ineffective. One reason for that has been injuries and that the teams with bigger budgets have got their engine running. Otto is still getting a lot of ice-time in PP, but has not been as productive as earlier in the season.

Otto was selected to the final camp for U20 WJC team and at this time it looks like should make the team and get a slot in 1.-2. lines.

Thanks for the update!!!! You're welcome here any time!!!

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
The skating is the biggest area of improvement in order to become a good power forward.

tavares couldnt skate worth a damn in his rookie year.....and hes doing ok now. so the skating issue shouldnt be a problem.

by all means, keep up the positive updates on the kid ( even if you have to make them up ). i like reading stuff like that.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Looks to have cooled off quite a bit hasn't he?

His team Ilves is having a bad streak at the moment. Otto has shot quite a lot, but has not managed to score. Maybe the opponents are also more aware of his moves and eagerness to rush to the net instead of passing.

There has also been line changes after Michael Keränen (former Wild) was acquired to the team. Koivula is playing in the 1st line with team captain Tapio Laakso and Brett Bulmer (former Wild as well). The third left winger is Jerry D'Amigo (former Leafs/Sabres), so the competition in that slot is quite harsh. Otto is, however, getting a lot of responsibility and coach Karri Kivi, who lead Team Finland to U20 WJC gold medal, is great with young players.

Last edited:

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Otto Koivula got a big role in U20 WHC team, but was a disappointment (to me at least) as was almost the whole Team Finland. He played well in PP in his role, but was a totally different player compared to Liiga games where he has shown a lot of confidence and a huge hunger to score. The need to improve skating skills (speed) showed more when Team Finland tried to play a game that it was not skilled enough.

Otto played his first game after the tournament and was again quite good when Ilves won in penalty shots. Here is his shot.

A longer video about the penalty shots

Last edited:

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Otto made the OT goal today when Ilves (12th in the FEL) won Kalpa (3rd in the FEL) in overtime.

He was great overall. A few games after the world juniors championships have not been so great from him, but his self-confidence is still there. His biggest area of improvement is skating as I have told earlier.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Otto made the OT goal today when Ilves (12th in the FEL) won Kalpa (3rd in the FEL) in overtime.

He was great overall. A few games after the world juniors championships have not been so great from him, but his self-confidence is still there. His biggest area of improvement is skating as I have told earlier.

That was an extremely talented move to score that goal. That wasn't just some lucky goal, that was a special move. Thanks for posting this !

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Otto needs at least one more year in FEL and probably one more in AHL before he is NHL ready IMO. However, these youngsters have a tendency for surprises and a great year in FEL and enough experience in international games can make remarkable boost for development as we have seen before.

When he is an impact player in Europe, he is ready to jump to NA.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Otto needs at least one more year in FEL and probably one more in AHL before he is NHL ready IMO. However, these youngsters have a tendency for surprises and a great year in FEL and enough experience in international games can make remarkable boost for development as we have seen before.

When he is an impact player in Europe, he is ready to jump to NA.

That link you provided led to another highlight of a goal he scored. Went through most of the defense while curling from the point all the way to goal. Skating looked impressive to me.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
That link you provided led to another highlight of a goal he scored. Went through most of the defense while curling from the point all the way to goal. Skating looked impressive to me.

i haven't seen much of him, but i remember his skating being much worse. good to see. he's young, big, and although a lefty, he seems to always be patrolling the RW.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Otto scored two goals today and now he is second in scoring in his team although he missed several games due to U20 WHC. This big boy is also the second amongst rookies in scoring in the whole league, which is not bad when considering his age.

He is one of few lights in the end of the tunnel of Team Ilves this season. The team has sucked badly overall and in a better team his stats (9+16 so far in 40 games played) could be even better.

Last edited:

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006

He needs to do things like that on a regular basis to become an impact player. Now there are shifts where he is somehow lost - especially in the defensive zone. He is, however, improving overall all the time. The big frame and the eagerness to be the finisher makes him a promising prospect.

In my opinion no-one should expect him to be in the Isles´lineup next season. In the best case scenario he could be NHL ready in 2018-2019 season. I would let him play in Finland one more year and participate to U20 WHC. Then he could be signed and sent to AHL to adjust to NA style of the game.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Is that a real thing?

Yep.

Barkov with Tappara Tampere...

t_barkovaleksander2013e.jpg

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Even better, Johnny with the Swiss version of the golden helmet when he played for the Swiss during the lockout. This is partly why Robert Nilsson never panned out, didn't have the motivation of the golden helmet.

switzerland_hockey_nhl_lockout_25367099.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad