Speculation: 2016-2017 Season Roster Discussion ‎- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think there are two keys regarding Hanzal, 1) Do not lose him for nothing, and 2) Do not sign him long term due to his injury history. If they could trade him and then re-sign him for a two-year deal over the summer I think most would be for that.

Those two keys are important and you're proposal would be fantastic if it could come true. I'd be happy enough to have him extended for two years now and then trade him in one or two years.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Bishop is available for a reason too, look at last nights game. Smith has been our best player this year and played well the last 20 games of last year too. Maybe he is over nagging injuries now and has his game together. I would much rather keep him then roll the dice on a UFA goalie. Besides that, Vegas won't take him anyway. They will take a cheaper option knowing they will be bad for a few years.

Hanzal is our best center, and it is not close. We need to sign him and keep him too. A 2C like him is too hard to find. Replacing him with a UFA will be expensive or we would have to give up assets to get somebody like him. I know he is often injured but we don't have another 1C/2C at this time. Maybe next year, and this is a big maybe, DVO/Strome/Keller start to develop into a 1C/2C. I can see one of them being a dependable 1C/2C the year after next. We need Hanzal the next 2 years until somebody else develops.

We can't let irreplaceable core players leave like Hanzal/Yandle. I would have extended Yandle rather than trading him for Duclair and parts. With Yandle, we wouldn't have needed Gogo. I like Gogo but would rather have Yandle as he makes plays and helps our PP. Our PP has been bad ever since he left. If we were a deeper team, we could allow core players to leave.

Man did you ever nail this cobra. I think the key with Hanzal will be having more depth at center and Burmistrov may be a big help - we'll see. 'If he works out it would allow more time to integrate the kids. You know at the slower pace that most posters here seem to relish. :laugh:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think there are two keys regarding Hanzal, 1) Do not lose him for nothing, and 2) Do not sign him long term due to his injury history. If they could trade him and then re-sign him for a two-year deal over the summer I think most would be for that.

I agree with your first point. Hanzal becoming a UFA will not accept a 2 year deal at his young age. As a UFA, plenty of teams will give him more term. I don't think he will get 6 years but I think 4 years would be more likely. If we could do a 4 year deal with less dollars, maybe 4.5 mill per, that might make sense and be realistic. The Coyotes should know by now if his back is healed and if the latest injuries are more nagging than a chronic back problem. We don't really know why he has been out this year. If it is his back still bothering him and the team is not close in dollars or term, they have to move him at the TDL. I think they will sign him but maybe not.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
So unfortuntely I haven't been able to watch the past several games or so. How has Chychrun been playing? Are we still as excited about him as we were during the first 10-15 games of the season?

Also; it looks like Vrbata has been getting a lot of praise. What/who do we consider the bright spots of the season?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
So unfortuntely I haven't been able to watch the past several games or so. How has Chychrun been playing? Are we still as excited about him as we were during the first 10-15 games of the season?

I am, but the grind of the schedule is starting to show on him a bit. A few more rookie mistakes than at the start of the season. Still think we got a prime piece for the future, though.

Also; it looks like Vrbata has been getting a lot of praise.

For good reason. He's our best player.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Anyone aware of a timetable for Richardson's return?

The last report I've seen is from Dec 26 where his return this season was stated as "unclear".

A broken tibia/fibula requiring surgery typically take 4-6 months before weight bearing activities can resume.

If I were a betting man I'd say he's done for the season.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Speaking of roster changes...

Here are my thoughts on what this team might look like after the TDL, and which I would be okay with for the rest of this season:

Domi - [NEW] - Vrbata
Perlini - Burmistrov - Duclair
Rieder - Dvorak - Fischer
Crouse - [NEW] - White

OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - DeAngelo
Chychrun - Schenn

Smith
[NEW]​

Hanzal, Stone, Domingue, and McGinn traded
Doan traded or decides to retire (although he'd probably finish out the season)
Connauton and Holland traded or waived
Jooris waived

• Acquired 1C would be a struggling veteran player with a season or two remaining
  • Acquired 4C would be a vet who can win faceoffs and has a few seasons remaining, OR someone from the farm, OR Doan (he's been taking FOs anyway)
  • Acquired 2G would be a struggling goalie that we could expose for the expansion draft or a young promising goalie who could take over once Smith's contract is up

The 1C would be pretty difficult to acquire, so perhaps a 2C with upside? Or someone who is overall better than Burmistrov has been playing lately.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

High asking prices are good to a point. They apparently pissed off Burke/Calgary with a lowball which is similar.

I expect that to be whittled down extensively though. Just had the McCarron or McCarron + debate a few weeks ago with rt and I could see something like McCarron + 2nd as a settling point.

McCarron + first + something else is nutty though :laugh:. Hell Yandle's return was probably worse then that considering the 1st was delayed a year, we retained, and had to take a bunch of spare part players.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
High asking prices are good to a point. They apparently pissed off Burke/Calgary with a lowball which is similar.

I expect that to be whittled down extensively though. Just had the McCarron or McCarron + debate a few weeks ago with rt and I could see something like McCarron + 2nd as a settling point.

McCarron + first + something else is nutty though :laugh:. Hell Yandle's return was probably worse then that considering the 1st was delayed a year, we retained, and had to take a bunch of spare part players.
If JC pulls off McCarron + 2nd for Hanzal....that's a huge win. If he can get more, wow! Could see Coyotes willing to take on Plekanec's contract for a McCarron+ return.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
McCarron + 1st is obviously too much, but MTL fans are acting like McCarron is guaranteed to become a better version of Hanzal which isn't the case.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
If JC pulls off McCarron + 2nd for Hanzal....that's a huge win. If he can get more, wow! Could see Coyotes willing to take on Plekanec's contract for a McCarron+ return.

Interesting thoughts, I wonder if we could go with a McCarron + Plekanec for Hanzal + Stone? Or perhaps a Hanzal + Duclair could get us McCarron and something else (I'd hate to see Duclair moved, but don't see much of a place here for him given our "situation")

BTW, I'm horrible with trade talks, so feel free to set me straight :)

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think that undervalues Plekanec a bit even though he's had a down season and thus a little overpaid.

Personally I'm more in favor of the KISS strategy with trades anyway so I'd rather move Stone and Hanzal separately.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Interesting.

Is the ask too high? Based on Marty's production in his first year, he exceeds McCarron by a good margin to date. Marty's a proven commodity, whereas McCarron while younger carries a risk of lesser production.

Personally it would be kind of fun to see McCarron in the Yotes sweater, as I was at the draft in New Jersey when he was selected. After the draft I found he was staying at the Sheraton Towers (where I was also staying) when I saw him in his Canadiens sweater in a crowd just ahead of me getting in an elevator - just a bit out of ear shot of my being able to wish him all the best.

The ask may be too high, I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions and can just watch & enjoy.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Plekanec has little value in trade nowadays, if any.

We haven't seen Chayka trade a prime asset yet so it will be interesting to see how he does.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Apparently, Tomas Jurco requested a trade. We should be interested. We need a Righty, but he prefers to play the right side. He's big and heavy but still extremely skilled. Kind of an anomaly but with huge upside. Maybe as part of a package for Michael Stone? Having him would allow us to send McGinn to Tucson where he belongs.

I also don't want McCarron. Rather keep Hanzal. Not nearly as good as many seem to think. Tippett wants a guy who can step right in. McCarron isn't there yet...and it's not even sure he'll ever get there...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Apparently, Tomas Jurco requested a trade. We should be interested. We need a Righty, but he prefers to play the right side. He's big and heavy but still extremely skilled. Kind of an anomaly but with huge upside. Maybe as part of a package for Michael Stone? Having him would allow us to send McGinn to Tucson where he belongs.

Jurco has 6 points in his last 55 games, none this year. Your takes are increasingly wafer thin and completely unjustifiable.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Jurco has 6 points in his last 55 games, none this year. Your takes are increasingly wafer thin and completely unjustifiable.

I said that he's an anomaly and there's no guarantee he'll be able to turn it around. Burmistrov had what? Two points in 23 games this season?

Jurco hasn't done well with the Wings ever since Babcock left. Blashill clearly doesn't like Jurco and never really gave him much of a chance. Babcock played him in all situations including PK and PK and Jurco responded with 33 points in 99 games which is fair considering these were his first two seasons in the NHL. Obviously things somehow didn't work out under Blashill but maybe a change of scenery will do wonders. While Jurco hasn't done well for the wings, he still showed well for Slovakia and in the AHL.

Obviously not enough for Stone but I think he's someone we should be interested in. Still young, versatile and with lots of upside if it works out.
You often see situations like that with younger players. Fellow Swiss Baertschi for example. He did very well in Calgary and Hartley liked him but when Burke took over, the first thing he did was to send him down and never really got a chance again. Worked out just fine for Vancouver though. Too early to tell but Burmistrov could be a similar kind of fit for us even though he just never really seemed fit the Maurice system.

Last edited:

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Speaking of roster changes...

Here are my thoughts on what this team might look like after the TDL, and which I would be okay with for the rest of this season:

Domi - [NEW] - Vrbata
Perlini - Burmistrov - Duclair
Rieder - Dvorak - Fischer
Crouse - [NEW] - White

OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - DeAngelo
Chychrun - Schenn

Smith
[NEW]​

Hanzal, Stone, Domingue, and McGinn traded
Doan traded or decides to retire (although he'd probably finish out the season)
Connauton and Holland traded or waived
Jooris waived

• Acquired 1C would be a struggling veteran player with a season or two remaining
  • Acquired 4C would be a vet who can win faceoffs and has a few seasons remaining, OR someone from the farm, OR Doan (he's been taking FOs anyway)
  • Acquired 2G would be a struggling goalie that we could expose for the expansion draft or a young promising goalie who could take over once Smith's contract is up

The 1C would be pretty difficult to acquire, so perhaps a 2C with upside? Or someone who is overall better than Burmistrov has been playing lately.

You forgot Martinook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad