NFL: 2024 NFL draft discussion thread, Draft begins 4/25 8pm, 4/26 6pm, 4/27 12pm

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Brooooooooo
hahahahahah

A gm casually saying I think it would be great if he sat for 4 years

Arthur Blank who is awesome needs to fire these clowns.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Brooooooooo
hahahahahah

Arthur Blank is the one who wanted this

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Who knows how Mahomes career would have turned out had he not sat a year. It certainly helps being drafted to an already playoff contender.

It used to be QBs would sit for a year and learn but with money trumping all, teams can't afford to deal with impatient fanbases clamoring for a savior. Public pressure is too great to let coaching staffs and front office be as patient as they want to be. Bryce Young,for example, shouldn't have been starting at all last year, especially with the team surrounding him.
My guess is Mahomes playing as a rookie gets us this exact same player. The only difference is he'd have another season of stats compiled on top of what he has now.

Reactions: LT

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Who knows how Mahomes career would have turned out had he not sat a year. It certainly helps being drafted to an already playoff contender.

It used to be QBs would sit for a year and learn but with money trumping all, teams can't afford to deal with impatient fanbases clamoring for a savior. Public pressure is too great to let coaching staffs and front office be as patient as they want to be. Bryce Young,for example, shouldn't have been starting at all last year, especially with the team surrounding him.
Then it was a mistake to trade up for him. Can't be giving the kid nothing to work with.

Probably why Maye in NE will sit for most of 2024 season. Probably gets starts around US Thanksgiving so that he has reps at NFL game speed for 2025 season.

Thing with QBs also is that a lot of them are coming out early. Just 3 years in college vs 4 or 5 before. They don't RS 1-2 years and start for 3 years. They, like Maye/McCarthy come out after 25-27 starts vs 35-38. Look at the difference between the 2 sets of trios. 21 and younger ones and the 5 year starters in Nix, Daniels, Penix.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Brooooooooo
hahahahahah

WTH would make you think Arthur Blank is awesome and that he didn't want this to happen. Easily one of the worst owners in the league.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
My guess is Mahomes playing as a rookie gets us this exact same player. The only difference is he'd have another season of stats compiled on top of what he has now.
He has natural instincts and an uncanny clutch gene. It’s strange to say given what’s been accomplished, but the things he excels at most could only have been deteriorated by sitting. Is everyone committed to that if Alex Smith gets hurt? No chance. Almost definitely costs them a Super Bowl having done it, which few will argue now because of a significant confirmation bias.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
The Falcons will come out on the right side of history with Penix. Guy is a winner and probably should have won the heisman. Injury free the last 2 years. I watched him every week at UW.

I think the Nix pick costs Sean Payton his job eventually. I think they could have moved down and still got him and I question if he has an nfl arm.

I think Maye busts due to the situation, i'm not sold on JJ McCarthy, I still think he's a better Daniel Jones (although in a good situation with the Vikings coach).

The Bears had some night.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Falcons will come out on the right side of history with Penix. Guy is a winner and probably should have won the heisman. Injury free the last 2 years. I watched him every week at UW.

I think the Nix pick costs Sean Payton his job eventually. I think hey could have moved down and still got him.

The Bears had some night.
They couldn’t risk it if he’s the last of the quarterbacks and you have teams behind you that could get him.

Sean Payton also has never given a shit about extra picks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They couldn’t risk it if he’s the last of the quarterbacks and you have teams behind you that could get him.

Sean Payton also has never given a shit about extra picks.
Supposedly Rams wanted to go up to grab Bowers, so Denver would be the last pick before LV. Would mean Denver drops to 19. With LV, NO, Sea, behind him. Or some other club moving up to jump Denver at 19. Never just, the teams just in front of you, also have to consider another club jumping up.

That's why there's never a certainty that you can trade down in a draft. You probably can, just a question of whether you will be able to get the guy you are targeting or whether you are ok taking between 1 of 2 or 3 guys by dropping down 3-7 spots in the draft. Titans would not know be certain that they could land Latham if they move back behind NYJ for example. Would have to be comfortable taking Fashanu or Fuaga or someone else if the draft unfolds against them.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
By how many people? Not saying it’s zero, I know it’s not but it was obvious what was going on during the draft process. Any of the draftniks who didn’t see what was happening outsmarted themselves.

Peter Schraeger, Daniel Jeremiah, Pete Prisco, Charlie Campbell/Walter Football, a wide ranging array of people who are either trusted or maybe not as much all had all 6 QB’s comfortably in round 1. A few had the Broncos trading down into the 20’s to get Nix.

I’m not even in the mock draft cycle but there’s no good reason anyone should be surprised, we were being told by people who know that know that it was happening.
I don't think anyone is surprised by all 6 going, just that the latter 3 went 8-12 instead of the mid 20s.

Buffalo has had all day to trade back....again
If they don't trade back again I think they made a mistake trading out of the first round. They didn't pick up much from the Panthers, but will lose the 5th year player option.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think anyone is surprised by all 6 going, just that the latter 3 went 8-12 instead of the mid 20s.

If they don't trade back again I think they made a mistake trading out of the first round. They didn't pick up much from the Panthers, but will lose the 5th year player option.
End of the day, if the player is really good, they get signed after year 3. Can press guys into the 5th year option, like SF with Aiyuk, but that may not be good for long term relationship.

I'm sure they have been spending these hours before round 2 talking to teams about trading down. With all trade downs, is there someone they truly want to get or are they fine with any of 2-3 players?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Then it was a mistake to trade up for him. Can't be giving the kid nothing to work with.

Probably why Maye in NE will sit for most of 2024 season. Probably gets starts around US Thanksgiving so that he has reps at NFL game speed for 2025 season.

Thing with QBs also is that a lot of them are coming out early. Just 3 years in college vs 4 or 5 before. They don't RS 1-2 years and start for 3 years. They, like Maye/McCarthy come out after 25-27 starts vs 35-38. Look at the difference between the 2 sets of trios. 21 and younger ones and the 5 year starters in Nix, Daniels, Penix.
Well, then is JJ starting in Minnesota or is it Darnold?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well, then is JJ starting in Minnesota or is it Darnold?
Williams, Daniels, and maybe Nix start. Maye, McCarthy sit for most of the season. Penix, because he landed in ATL ends up sitting.

Now, if things go off the rails for Minny and Darnold is NYJ Darnold, then Minny will have to play JJ sometime in Oct.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

I think they're trying to trade the pick for Higgins, which would be appropriate because I believe Tee was the first pick of the 2nd round his draft year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Higgins is good. If I'm Buffalo, I'm doing what I can to only move my own 2nd at around pick 60. At 33, probably look to replace White with DeJean at CB if I can make the Higgins deal.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
What has Poles done recently to doubt him?

Chargers desperately need their Pacua find

Badly overpaying and giving up a 2nd round pick for Chase Claypool

Badly underselling and only getting a 6th round pick for Justin Fields

Couldn’t get a deal done with Roquan Smith then gave him away for a 2nd and a 5th

Passing on Jalen Carter who was clearly a superior player and settling for Darnell Wright

Reaching horribly for Velus Jones in the 3rd round

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
End of the day, if the player is really good, they get signed after year 3. Can press guys into the 5th year option, like SF with Aiyuk, but that may not be good for long term relationship.

I'm sure they have been spending these hours before round 2 talking to teams about trading down. With all trade downs, is there someone they truly want to get or are they fine with any of 2-3 players?
They get signed after year 3, but the big money generally doesn't kick in until year 6.

Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow all played on their option, so if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for everyone.

Reactions: Daz28

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I dont get the Penix uproar.
Nobody expects Cousins to finish his contract. He's 35. if Penix sits and learns for 2 years, he is in a position to reach whatever his potential as an NFL QB will be.

if he busts? oh well it happens. they didn't mortgage the future to draft him. but if they think he is the guy, then do it.

the Bijan pick last year was worse. not that he's bad, but you can get RB's anywhere.

In theory you're right, but the counter argument is you don't give Kirk Cousins 100m guarnateed to "win now" and then draft someone that doesn't help the team accomplish that in the short term.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In theory you're right, but the counter argument is you don't give Kirk Cousins 100m guarnateed to "win now" and then draft someone that doesn't help the team accomplish that in the short term.
Similar to Love and AR. If you have AR for 2-3 more years, then you think let's get someone who can contribute on the field during those 2-3 years and deal with the QB later. See how it turns out.

For Penix, this likely means he's playing year 3 and 4 of his rookie deal and on the 5th year option. Still gives him 3 years to perform well enough to earn a 2nd contract. Whether you played 60 starts like Carr or 7 like Jimmy G, they both ended up with the almost the same contract after their rookie deal.

Take the time to learn the offense and be ready to hit the ground running when your time is called.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad