Speculation: 2016-2017 Season Roster Discussion ‎- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
These don't work.

That's a shame. They probably timeout more quickly than I imagined. Jake, click my profile and under the statistics tab you may "Find all posts by _Del_"

For the second, try entering "Tippett" in the search field.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Would like to see something like this next year.

Domi - Dvorak - Vrbata/Oshie
Perlini - UFA/Strome/Keller - Fischer
Rieder - UFA/Strome/Keller - Vrbata/Oshie
Martinook - Richardson - White

Yes, Duclair was left off for a reason. I do feel that he will get traded. I would not mind bringing Ryan White back either. I think McGinn gets claimed in the expansion draft.

What say ye?

Edit: Crouse back in AHL.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Would like to see something like this next year.

Domi - Dvorak - Vrbata/Oshie
Perlini - UFA/Strome/Keller - Fischer
Rieder - UFA/Strome/Keller - Vrbata/Oshie
Martinook - Richardson - White

Yes, Duclair was left off for a reason. I do feel that he will get traded. I would not mind bringing Ryan White back either. I think McGinn gets claimed in the expansion draft.

What say ye?

Edit: Crouse back in AHL.

Crouse can't go to the AHL.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The lines are fluid, but which of these players is not on the opening night roster in 17-18? (*Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, etc)

Domi - Dvorak - Duclair
Perlini - Strome - Fischer
Rieder - Keller - Patrick*
Crouse - Richardson - Martinook
Dauphin

OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - DeAngelo
Chychrun - Schenn
Connauton - Wood

Smith/Domingue

Whichever players aren't going to be on the starting roster, we should look to upgrade with the $20M remaining in player payroll, either through free agency or using the picks we get from the deadline deals.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Both Murphy and Stone need to be traded, both are bottom pairing Dmen, both are RH so they should have lots of value.

Next season:

OEL/Schenn (they've been fine, much better than either pairing OEL with Murphy or Stone)
Goligoski/DeAngelo (no reason why this shouldn't have stayed as the pairing all season)
Chychrun/ ? (Wood can have a couple games, but he's not ready yet, he needs another year)
KConn

We'd have to go get a rental or put KConn on the right side...if you can find someone better suited than Schenn then pair him with OEL and Schenn gets paired with Chychrun, either way both Murphy and Stone need to go.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Strome could very well start in the AHL and I still think we get a generic 3C stop gap free agent anyway. Maybe there's a bloated contract we can take along those lines in a trade for an extra sweetener.

If we're lucky enough to get Patrick I think I'd want him to play a full season after his injury before being in the NHL. Dunno enough about the others.

I'm not convinced Keller leaves school but that's probably battered Coyotes fan syndrome talking. Hopefully he knows something of the time value of money and wants to start taking a paycheck :laugh:

I think it's very likely Crouse gets the Boedker treatment and plays in the AHL his 2nd season to develop offensively. Pretty sure he's old enough anyway to the question above. He'll be 20 on June 23rd this year. Perhaps with call ups occasionally.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
The lines are fluid, but which of these players is not on the opening night roster in 17-18? (*Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, etc)

Domi - Dvorak - Duclair
Dauphin

OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - DeAngelo
Chychrun - Schenn
Connauton - Wood

Smith/Domingue

Whichever players aren't going to be on the starting roster, we should look to upgrade with the $20M remaining in player payroll, either through free agency or using the picks we get from the deadline deals.

If those are our lines than I think we should prepare for another lottery season. We need an established top 6 if we don't want to be bottom feeders. I don't see both Keller and whoever we draft this year being on the team. I also think Perlini and Fischer will spend next season bouncing from the NHL and AHL.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

Domi - Dvorak - Duclair
Dauphin

OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - DeAngelo
Chychrun - Schenn
Connauton - Wood

Smith/Domingue

Those lines would get me to reup for season tickets. There is zero chance that is the roster next year with the current coaching staff. Would be an exciting team to watch develop though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Both Murphy and Stone need to be traded, both are bottom pairing Dmen, both are RH so they should have lots of value.

Next season:

OEL/Schenn (they've been fine, much better than either pairing OEL with Murphy or Stone)
Goligoski/DeAngelo (no reason why this shouldn't have stayed as the pairing all season)
Chychrun/ ? (Wood can have a couple games, but he's not ready yet, he needs another year)
KConn

We'd have to go get a rental or put KConn on the right side...if you can find someone better suited than Schenn then pair him with OEL and Schenn gets paired with Chychrun, either way both Murphy and Stone need to go.

I have been saying all year Murphy and Stone are third pairing, and I got much flak for saying that. KConn looked real good last game, but one game does not make a season, but he can skate better that both Stone and Murphy.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If those are our lines than I think we should prepare for another lottery season. We need an established top 6 if we don't want to be bottom feeders. I don't see both Keller and whoever we draft this year being on the team. I also think Perlini and Fischer will spend next season bouncing from the NHL and AHL.

Who knows. Chick, Crouse and Dauphin surprised everyone, and I expect a surprise or two next year, as it happens every year.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I have been saying all year Murphy and Stone are third pairing, and I got much flak for saying that. KConn looked real good last game, but one game does not make a season, but he can skate better that both Stone and Murphy.

I do remember you saying Murphy was third pairing anyway. If he is, they made a mistake with a 6 year 3.8 mill deal. Murphy being healthy scratched and/or on the third pairing is not a good sign. Once you sign a 6 year deal at that money, you shouldn't be healthy scratched and should be at least second pairing.

Stone gets a little more slack coming back from ACL surgery. It takes time to over come that but it will scare teams that don't want to make a mistake with Stone as a UFA. Is his regression due to injury recovery or was last years .5PPG pace a fluke season?

Luke Schenn is now our 1RHD. When we signed him, he was going to be our 3RHD. name a worse 1RHD in the NHL? That alone tells you how bad Murphy/Stone are this year. The biggest disappointments this year to me are Murphy/Duclair/Stone/OEL. We can't have our top 3D going into the season all under performing. Duclair disappeared, Domi is hurt, Strome can't make the team, and Richardson gets hurt. This combination spells disaster for our under talented team.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Who knows. Chick, Crouse and Dauphin surprised everyone, and I expect a surprise or two next year, as it happens every year.

I don't see them surprising them to the degree that we're competitive. Even if we add Keller, Strome, 1stRDPick, Fischer, Perlini full time I don't see them being up to the task of making us competitive. I don't think we would have 1 line that would be able to match up to a playoff teams 1st line. And those guys surprised but Chychrun is still just a 3rd pairing dman right now, Crouse is a bottom 6 winger and Dauphin wouldn't be on a competitive NHL teams roster. Rookies surprising us doesn't mean they're good enough to carry the team, it takes time.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Perlini-Hanzal-Patrick
Domi-Dvorak-Duclair
Rieder-Keller-Fischer
Martinook-Dauphin-Richardson

McGinn taken in xdraft
Strome leading the charge in Tuscon

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Here's my protected list for expansion as of today:

G Smith
D OEL
D Goligoski
D Murphy
D Schenn
F Duclair
F Reider
F Martinook
F Burmistrov

We can afford to make deals. Exposing Schenn would allow us to protect 3 additional Forwards as well. Team will likely protect McGinn over Burmistrov. I just think he can play, we will still need a C, and he's cheaper.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Smith needs to be purged along with Doan finishing up things. Tell him before the trade deadline that it's trade, Vegas, or buyout, but that he's done in Arizona. Domingue is not better but he is ten years younger, improving, and cost controlled. A goalie of Smith's 'caliber' is possibly the single easiest asset to come by in the NHL, either through trade or FA.

Get him out of here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I do remember you saying Murphy was third pairing anyway. If he is, they made a mistake with a 6 year 3.8 mill deal. Murphy being healthy scratched and/or on the third pairing is not a good sign. Once you sign a 6 year deal at that money, you shouldn't be healthy scratched and should be at least second pairing.

Stone gets a little more slack coming back from ACL surgery. It takes time to over come that but it will scare teams that don't want to make a mistake with Stone as a UFA. Is his regression due to injury recovery or was last years .5PPG pace a fluke season?

Luke Schenn is now our 1RHD. When we signed him, he was going to be our 3RHD. name a worse 1RHD in the NHL? That alone tells you how bad Murphy/Stone are this year. The biggest disappointments this year to me are Murphy/Duclair/Stone/OEL. We can't have our top 3D going into the season all under performing. Duclair disappeared, Domi is hurt, Strome can't make the team, and Richardson gets hurt. This combination spells disaster for our under talented team.

Yup

I don't see them surprising them to the degree that we're competitive. Even if we add Keller, Strome, 1stRDPick, Fischer, Perlini full time I don't see them being up to the task of making us competitive. I don't think we would have 1 line that would be able to match up to a playoff teams 1st line. And those guys surprised but Chychrun is still just a 3rd pairing dman right now, Crouse is a bottom 6 winger and Dauphin wouldn't be on a competitive NHL teams roster. Rookies surprising us doesn't mean they're good enough to carry the team, it takes time.

Oh, I agree, but the more talented players you have the more competitive we become. Most think becoming competitive with a rebuild happens over night, thus all this DT hate. Like you said, it takes time.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think they should consider moving one of Martinook or Rieder. I know that's not going to happen as long as Tippett is at the helm, but I think it's the strong move. We have too many left-handed wingers, including prospects on the verge. Martinook and Rieder are probably at the peak of their trade value and thy are replaceable players. I'd rather move one of them than Duclair, for example.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think they should consider moving one of Martinook or Rieder. I know that's not going to happen as long as Tippett is at the helm, but I think it's the strong move. We have too many left-handed wingers, including prospects on the verge. Martinook and Rieder are probably at the peak of their trade value and thy are replaceable players. I'd rather move one of them than Duclair, for example.

I know what you are saying, but as it stands now, both are very important to our PK.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

I think Reider might be an asset we are willing to move now; likely as a part of a package for a top 4RD.

I see us re-signing Hanzal. I don't think we can go into next season relying on Dvorak and Strome. I love both guys but they need to be insulated. I tossed out re-signing Burmistrov on the cheap. Is Richardsons career over or will he take a half season before he looks like himself (similar to Stone who had his best game of the season in Winnipeg)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad