Speculation: 2016-2017 Season Roster Discussion ‎- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Smith needs to be purged along with Doan finishing up things. Tell him before the trade deadline that it's trade, Vegas, or buyout, but that he's done in Arizona. Domingue is not better but he is ten years younger, improving, and cost controlled. A goalie of Smith's 'caliber' is possibly the single easiest asset to come by in the NHL, either through trade or FA.

Get him out of here.

I'm fine with getting rid of Smith, but not if Domingue is going to be relied upon as his replacement.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
There are a bunch of UFA goalies that could fill in for a year or two. I'd expose Smith and hope he gets selected. If he does, hire a UFA and hope Hill and Domingue keep developing.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Reider and Stone for Bishop?

You want to give up Rieder and a late 1st for a 30 year old pending UFA goalie playoff rental? How are we unloading Smith's contract again? There's no chance any team takes him off our hands.

Expensive goalies are pointless. Goaltenders are disposable. There's always a Montoya or Greiss available.

The highest I'd draft one is the 4th round. The most I'd trade for one is a 4th. The most I'd pay one is 2.5. The longest contract I'd give one is two years.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
You want to give up Rieder and a late 1st for a 30 year old pending UFA goalie playoff rental? How are we unloading Smith's contract again? There's no chance any team takes him off our hands.

Expensive goalies are pointless. Goaltenders are disposable. There's always a Montoya or Greiss available.

The highest I'd draft one is the 4th round. The most I'd trade for one is a 4th. The most I'd pay one is 2.5. The longest contract I'd give one is two years.
I agree and would like to see how that strategy would work for teams long term. I think the gap between the top 5 and bottom 5 goalies has shrunk tremendously, and teams are better off going with cheaper goalies and using money they'd spend on a high end goalie for the more depth. The big downside is there could be a year where you can't find a decent starter you're potentially screwed, but even then you could probably trade for someone's backup or a rental.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The premier goalie is the second to last piece to the puzzle. We need to shore up our skaters first. IMO the last piece to the puzzle is to trade a boatload or talent, or pay a boatload of money to a .75 - 1.0 ppg scoring forward, if we didn't develop one during the rebuild.

We are a year away from needing a replacement for Smith. We should keep him for his final 2 years and look for a replacement during his final contract year.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

An extended Bishop. Good point.

I think we forget what it was like when we had David Abeisher as our top goalie. You n Ed someone to carry the load until we are competitive. Smith is an existing 2 year bandaid. Bishop would give you 5 years. 5 years to identify a future 1G. I'd take that.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
If for some reason Vegas took Smith over McGinn, there are free agent options and $6M to replace him.

Halak, Miller, Bishop, Bernier, Greiss all could probably act as a stop gap for less than $6M. Of course, depends on how the rest of the season plays out and what Domingue looks like in his last few starts.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There are only a handful of +goalies in the league that play above the level of their team. Most are overpaid. It's not worth worrying about.

Dump Smith, get one of a dozen bandaids available on the market, and move on with life. Maybe check the "doesn't show up teammates" box while you're at it.

Rieder and Martinook are good players that are having their performance suppressed by the coaching staff. No reason to give up on them yet.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
RT. I like your logic on late first for Stone; and I encourage that type of return; however we may have to settle for a couple of seconds or a 2 & a 3 instead. I did like Stones last game. Just taken him half a season to get back to expectations. Hopefully it counties. If it does that late first might get a nibble.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The premier goalie is the second to last piece to the puzzle. We need to shore up our skaters first. IMO the last piece to the puzzle is to trade a boatload or talent, or pay a boatload of money to a .75 - 1.0 ppg scoring forward, if we didn't develop one during the rebuild.

We are a year away from needing a replacement for Smith. We should keep him for his final 2 years and look for a replacement during his final contract year.

I agree. Keep Smith for the next two years and let's see what is available next year. :nod:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

You win from the net out. Most times, a really good goalie is needed to win a championship. Of course there are exceptions, but I like my chances much better with a proven goaltender. There is a reason the Montoya's and Greiss's of the world are always available.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If for some reason Vegas took Smith over McGinn, there are free agent options and $6M to replace him.

Halak, Miller, Bishop, Bernier, Greiss all could probably act as a stop gap for less than $6M. Of course, depends on how the rest of the season plays out and what Domingue looks like in his last few starts.

If we get Bishop, it won't be for a stop gap.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I've been worried about Duclair for a while. Even before this season started. While I haven't voiced my opinion too much, its been something on my mind.

We have a LHS problem. We have too many of them. Way too many of them. Perlini looks like the real deal. That shot of his is a thing of beauty. We then have Martinook, Rieder, Domi, McGinn with Keller coming up. I fully expect Keller to play LW when he makes it to the show, especially with the other centers in the Pacific division.

I can't be the only one in here thinking Duke is the odd man out right? He could fetch us a pretty piece, maybe a RHS winger or center.

What do you guys think?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I've been worried about Duclair for a while. Even before this season started. While I haven't voiced my opinion too much, its been something on my mind.

We have a LHS problem. We have too many of them. Way too many of them. Perlini looks like the real deal. That shot of his is a thing of beauty. We then have Martinook, Rieder, Domi, McGinn with Keller coming up. I fully expect Keller to play LW when he makes it to the show, especially with the other centers in the Pacific division.

I can't be the only one in here thinking Duke is the odd man out right? He could fetch us a pretty piece, maybe a RHS winger or center.

What do you guys think?

Well he is one of the LHS guys comfortable playing the right side. So I would move McGinn and Reider before him. Martinook played some RW too so theoretically you could go with Domi/Duclair, Perlini/Fischer and Crouse/Martinook next year as you top three lines.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well he is one of the LHS guys comfortable playing the right side. So I would move McGinn and Reider before him. Martinook played some RW too so theoretically you could go with Domi/Duclair, Perlini/Fischer and Crouse/Martinook next year as you top three lines.

I think Rieder actually prefers to play on the right side anyway. Gotta keep him. Speedy and a solid two way guy who can play both on PK and PP. McGinn is useless on both PK/PP and needs to go. The sooner the better. Problem is that we won't be able to move him anywhere. He's been really really bad and his contract sucks big time. Only solution is to waive him and hope Toronto claims.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You win from the net out. Most times, a really good goalie is needed to win a championship. Of course there are exceptions, but I like my chances much better with a proven goaltender. There is a reason the Montoya's and Greiss's of the world are always available.

Bishop is available for a reason too, look at last nights game. Smith has been our best player this year and played well the last 20 games of last year too. Maybe he is over nagging injuries now and has his game together. I would much rather keep him then roll the dice on a UFA goalie. Besides that, Vegas won't take him anyway. They will take a cheaper option knowing they will be bad for a few years.

Hanzal is our best center, and it is not close. We need to sign him and keep him too. A 2C like him is too hard to find. Replacing him with a UFA will be expensive or we would have to give up assets to get somebody like him. I know he is often injured but we don't have another 1C/2C at this time. Maybe next year, and this is a big maybe, DVO/Strome/Keller start to develop into a 1C/2C. I can see one of them being a dependable 1C/2C the year after next. We need Hanzal the next 2 years until somebody else develops.

We can't let irreplaceable core players leave like Hanzal/Yandle. I would have extended Yandle rather than trading him for Duclair and parts. With Yandle, we wouldn't have needed Gogo. I like Gogo but would rather have Yandle as he makes plays and helps our PP. Our PP has been bad ever since he left. If we were a deeper team, we could allow core players to leave.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Bishop is available for a reason too, look at last nights game. Smith has been our best player this year and played well the last 20 games of last year too. Maybe he is over nagging injuries now and has his game together. I would much rather keep him then roll the dice on a UFA goalie. Besides that, Vegas won't take him anyway. They will take a cheaper option knowing they will be bad for a few years.

Hanzal is our best center, and it is not close. We need to sign him and keep him too. A 2C like him is too hard to find. Replacing him with a UFA will be expensive or we would have to give up assets to get somebody like him. I know he is often injured but we don't have another 1C/2C at this time. Maybe next year, and this is a big maybe, DVO/Strome/Keller start to develop into a 1C/2C. I can see one of them being a dependable 1C/2C the year after next. We need Hanzal the next 2 years until somebody else develops.

We can't let irreplaceable core players leave like Hanzal/Yandle. I would have extended Yandle rather than trading him for Duclair and parts. With Yandle, we wouldn't have needed Gogo. I like Gogo but would rather have Yandle as he makes plays and helps our PP. Our PP has been bad ever since he left. If we were a deeper team, we could allow core players to leave.

Bishop is available because of their back up and his contract. Bishop is a top tier goalie. Both Tampa's goalie's have almost identical records and stats. Having said that, I would also keep Smith and start looking in the off season to see what is around. As it stands now, I would try to keep Hanzal, but it will depend on his demands or who we could get in a trade. I love Yandle, he is a winner no doubt, much better than GoGo.

Feb 12, 2003
I think there are two keys regarding Hanzal, 1) Do not lose him for nothing, and 2) Do not sign him long term due to his injury history. If they could trade him and then re-sign him for a two-year deal over the summer I think most would be for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad