Speculation: 2016-2017 Season Roster Discussion ‎- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Q2bHeW.gif

Given how awful we are, it's kinda surprising that it's taken until 27 November to get to part 2.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't see Stone signing a short term deal. He will want at least 4 years, maybe more. Murphy signed a 6 year deal. I also think it will be difficult to sign or trade for a 1RHD. Trouba/Shatty will be tough to land in a trade.

What we really need is for Murphy to get better and become a 1RHD. Goose/deAngelo, Stone/Chychrun is a solid 3/4, 5/6 D core. The only hole is 1RHD, granted a big one, come on Murphy:)

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
we have to protect Duclair. He's an RFA at the end of the season, must be protected.

Max, Dvorak, Chychrun, DeAngelo, Crouse are all exempt.

Last edited:

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The good news (in a way!) is we only have 3 forwards worth protecting: Duclair, Martinook, Rieder. Everyone else is either exempt, unsigned, or not worth losing sleep over (ie Richardson, McGinn) should they go to Vegas.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The good news (in a way!) is we only have 3 forwards worth protecting: Duclair, Martinook, Rieder. Everyone else is either exempt, unsigned, or not worth losing sleep over (ie Richardson, McGinn) should they go to Vegas.

This should make us a good trade partner with a team that stands to lose a decent player.

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
The longer we "rest" (read reprogram) Jakob Chychrun, I'm hoping we will release him to the World Juniors for Canada next month. Get him on some ice. Get him playing. Get that "compete level" up. Deangelo has dug into the top 6. And we are paying KCon to do nothing.

Maybe we release Lawson Crouse to Canada too?

Personally I hope we keep LC. That last couple games, he, white and dolphin have been solid.

What do you guys think?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The longer we "rest" (read reprogram) Jakob Chychrun, I'm hoping we will release him to the World Juniors for Canada next month. Get him on some ice. Get him playing. Get that "compete level" up. Deangelo has dug into the top 6. And we are paying KCon to do nothing.

Personally I hope we keep LC. That last couple games, he, white and dolphin have been solid.

What do you guys think?

It's been 3 games. Junior players typically struggle with the marathon NHL season. Coaches thought he needed a rest and to simplify his game. He will be back in lineup shortly. Breathe everyone.

Crouse has earned his spot. I don't think we will release him.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon

What do you guys think?
Yes, definitely for Chychrun ... if he wants to go, send him. He would be Canada's best defender, right? After missing the team last year he may want to scratch that itch still, but he may have "mentally graduated" from that and not want to. Chychrun and Strome are probably both 1st liners and will get a ton of ice and can carry the team and be captains and all that. Strome is better than Patrick, right? If not, he's certainly two years older.

Keep Crouse in the NHL. He already has his WJC title (won it with Domi, Duclair and McDavid two years ago) and he's physically mature enough for the league. Don't see a ton of value in releasing him.

If Chychrun was RHD and was shuffling around with Murphy and Stone and DeAngleo, I'd say keep him in ARZ. But he's buried behind OEL and Goligoski, so send him to be Canada's 1D and let KConn fill in for the month. If someone gets dinged up while he's gone, Schenn and McBain can at least keep the fire under control for a few weeks. Again, that's all assuming Chychrun wants to go. If not, cool.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Nov record is 6-4-2, not a bad bounce back month considering injuries and growing pains.

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
It's been 3 games. Junior players typically struggle with the marathon NHL season. Coaches thought he needed a rest and to simplify his game. He will be back in lineup shortly. Breathe everyone.

Crouse has earned his spot. I don't think we will release him.

I'm breathing :) No chicken little here.

He's played 15 of 20 this season. Yes, junior players hit a wall. I just read more into the team statements that he won't jump back into the top 6 for awhile. (Plus Stone playing the left side with Schenn pretty well. Deangelo. And we have KCon doing nothing as the #8)

Figured Chych to WJC maybe made some sense?

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm still confused as to why Chych plays for Canada. Proud Florida boy, greater opportunities with USA Hockey, and yet he went the Canada route?

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London

What do you guys think?
I am against sending guys to WJC. I don't think it's responsible with injury potential. Jacob doesn't need a confidence boost from playing on a mediocre Canadian team (albeit in a mediocre field). Lawson does not fit a top line role and from what I have read, they are looking at 3 scoring lines and a possession line. Sending him back to be a dominant 4th line winger doesn't make sense.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm breathing :) No chicken little here.

He's played 15 of 20 this season. Yes, junior players hit a wall. I just read more into the team statements that he won't jump back into the top 6 for awhile. (Plus Stone playing the left side with Schenn pretty well. Deangelo. And we have KCon doing nothing as the #8)

Figured Chych to WJC maybe made some sense?

3 games ago he was playing 18 mins/game.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
3 games ago he was playing 18 mins/game.

I see him back in the line up in the next few games. I think the problem is that Shenn has played well enough to stay in the line up. I don't see Tip scratching Stone or Murphy, so Stone plays the left side for now. Eventually Stone/Chychrun is our third pair, with Shenn/Kconn as extras.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I see him back in the line up in the next few games. I think the problem is that Shenn has played well enough to stay in the line up. I don't see Tip scratching Stone or Murphy, so Stone plays the left side for now. Eventually Stone/Chychrun is our third pair, with Shenn/Kconn as extras.

If anything, pump Stone's value showing that he can play both sides. Trade him away and insert Chych again.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
McKenzie: "Calgary is definitely listening on Dougie Hamilton."

https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/status/803299750183247872

That seems like a slight change in tune from a few weeks ago.
I don't get AZ interest given we have 3 guys locked up with long-term deals (OEL, Goose, Murphy), 2 young Dman who have proven NHL ready (Chych and Tony D) another on the way next year (Wood) plus Tinordi's played well in the games I've seen Tucson play and Shenn's a decent stop-gap. Stone gone by the deadline, probably before.

So unless it's for Murphy as the cornerstone, I don't see Hamilton in AZ. What am I missing?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't get AZ interest given we have 3 guys locked up with long-term deals (OEL, Goose, Murphy), 2 young Dman who have proven NHL ready (Chych and Tony D) another on the way next year (Wood) plus Tinordi's played well in the games I've seen Tucson play and Shenn's a decent stop-gap. Stone gone by the deadline, probably before.

So unless it's for Murphy as the cornerstone, I don't see Hamilton in AZ. What am I missing?

Hamilton was the guy Tippett coveted and blamed Maloney for not landing him at 2015 entry draft.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hamilton's 5.75 AAV is interesting. Comparable to OEL, and certainly less than Ollie's extension will be. And what will Stone be looking for on his next deal? Making 4M now, so 4.5-5? IMO Hamilton is easily worth a mil or so more than Stone.

OEL - Hamilton
Gogo - DeAngelo
Chych - Murphy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->