Line Combos: 2016-2017 Part III

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Nobody is saying this and maybe it is not a big deal, but I really believe we have to put Martensen in on line 4 and let him bang some people to fire up both the crowd and the Habs. This is the kind of guy you want in the playoffs when opponents are looking to stamp out the small Habs. Adding King, Martensen, and maybe even Ott will give us that sandpaper.

However, I'm not sure if King would be better served on line three and Byron on line four.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I would try something new in the top 6 to spark some more scoring.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Lekhonen-Galchenyuk-Radulov
King-Danault-Shaw
Martinsen-McCarron-Mitchell
Ott
Flynn

Beaulieu-Weber
Markov-Petry
Emelin-Benn
Davidson
Nesterov

DA GOD
Alberto

Habernack

BookHockey
Feb 10, 2010
Toronto
Patch - Dano - Gally
Lehks - Galch - Rads
King - BigMac - Shaw
Byron - Mitch - Martinsen

Bench Pleks for a game and see what Mac's got. because why not.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Enough of Rads' playmaking going to waste half the time, give him Chucky. There would be a lot more scrutiny on Danault's hands of stone in the 1st where he flubbed on a patented Radupass while having a wide open net to shoot at.

Patches - Chucky - Rads (the CPR line)
Lehkonen - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Pleks - Shaw
King - Ott - McCarron

King and Byron are doing one hell of a job on the PK. Weber-Benn-King-Byron is a good PK, going in to the playoffs.

Good comment on the PK. Those deadline deals have been transformational for the PK.

I would try
Patches - Chucky - Rads (the CPR line)
Hudon/Leks/King - Danault/Hudon - Gallagher
Byron - Pleks/Danault - Shaw
King/Leks - Mitchell/Pleks - McCarron/Ott

In some configurations, it is not inconceivable that Pleks sits out or plays 4C. In an ideal world, Hudon makes the most of his first real chance in the top6, which re-energizes the 2nd line, while the top line has top-line talent at all three positions. Hudon might benefit from a big winger like King. That would force down Danault and Pleks to 3C and 4C, improving the scoring by committee.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
So CJ tried this today: King-Galchenyuk-Lehkonen

...and it was the 3rd line per RDS. I'm hopeful that it's RDS' bias towards vets (Pleks being listed as 2C instead of Chuck) and not CJ actually putting Chucky on the 3rd line.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

King-Danault-Shaw
Ott
Flynn

Beaulieu-Weber
Markov-Petry
Emelin-Benn
Davidson
Nesterov

DA GOD
Alberto

Pretty mind blowing that anyone would want to give Plekanec a shot as the #1C...

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
With the lines today, it seems clear that Lehkonen will be benched.

Pacioretty-Danault-Radulov
King-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Byron-Plekanec-Shaw
Martinsen-McCarron-Shaw

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

...and it was the 3rd line per RDS. I'm hopeful that it's RDS' bias towards vets (Pleks being listed as 2C instead of Chuck) and not CJ actually putting Chucky on the 3rd line.

There were a few players missing from practice...so I wouldn't take too much out of the lines today

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I'm sure the idea of getting bigger was meant for our top lines.
King will be a 2nd or 3rd liner and no doubt about it.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Shaw and Rads missing...

My guess is King-Chucky-Shaw. Give Chuck some room, pass it to him and put the garbage in if there's any. :)

Yeah take our most skilled and creative centreman and flank him with two grinders. That sounds like an excellent idea for a team who struggles to score.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Yeah take our most skilled and creative centreman and flank him with two grinders. That sounds like an excellent idea for a team who struggles to score.

This is my justification for calling up Hudon. The team needs to make the most of the little skill that is in its system, and having someone like Shaw or King who can play with 2 skilled players while bringing grit makes it feasible to do so. With MT's DD-centric double standards it wasn't viable, but now the team is in a position to address that suboptimal approach. That said, I have written elsewhere that it does not make sense to have Danault hoarding both top wingers. Radu should flank Galchenyuk, and Hudon can play left on either of the top 2 lines.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

At this point, Lehkonen and Gallagher don't look much better on a 2nd line than "grinders".

Why, what's your recipe? Load up the top line and have "grinders" all through the 2nd & 3rd line?

There's no lineup that makes everybody here happy. Chucky with Patches and Rads? Oh, but your 2nd and 3rd lines look like dog ****. Chucky with "grinders"? Oh, he won't be able to score playing with them and you have Danault or Pleks sucking the offense out of Patches & Rads.

Pros & cons to every possible lineup combinations = no possible way to make everyone happy.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
At this point, Lehkonen and Gallagher don't look much better on a 2nd line than "grinders".

Why, what's your recipe? Load up the top line and have "grinders" all through the 2nd & 3rd line?

There's no lineup that makes everybody here happy. Chucky with Patches and Rads? Oh, but your 2nd and 3rd lines look like dog ****. Chucky with "grinders"? Oh, he won't be able to score playing with them and you have Danault or Pleks sucking the offense out of Patches & Rads.

Pros & cons to every possible lineup combinations = no possible way to make everyone happy.

Home games only:

Load up one line.

Grinders on two and three.

Bangers on line four.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Can we try this :

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
King - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Lekhonen - Danault - Shaw
Byron - Mitchell - McCarron

Flip King for Byron/Lekhonen on the PP could be interesting.

Pegasus

Jul 20, 2006
Vancouver

King-Danault-Shaw
Ott
Flynn

Beaulieu-Weber
Markov-Petry
Emelin-Benn
Davidson
Nesterov

DA GOD
Alberto

You forgot Byron... I would like to see Martinsen in the line up as well, Mitchell can seat a few games

Pegasus

Jul 20, 2006
Vancouver
I would like to see this line up for a few games:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov
King - Plekanec - Gallagher
Byron - McCarron - Martinsen
Ott, Flynn, Mitchell

Markov-Weber
Emelin-Petry
Davidson-Benn
Beaulieu, Nesterov

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I would like to see this line up for a few games:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov
King - Plekanec - Gallagher
Byron - McCarron - Martinsen
Ott, Flynn, Mitchell

Markov-Weber
Emelin-Petry
Davidson-Benn
Beaulieu, Nesterov

Healthy scratch Beaulieu, seriously? The guy is our 4th best defenseman.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Healthy scratch Beaulieu, seriously? The guy is our 4th best defenseman.

I feel like Beaulieu has been our worst dman over the last 2-3 games. Bad giveaways, weak on the puck, poor choices.

I think Davidson is worth a look at some point.

I think some form of shake-up should happen to spark our top 6:

Pacioretty-Danault*-Gallagher
King-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Lehkonen-Plekanec*-Shaw
Byron-McCarron-Mitchell

*I am actually not opposed to switching these 2 players for a game or so.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Gallagher was apparently with Patch-Danault at practice.

This probably means they'll stick together for the game. Otherwise they would've just kept him on Chucky's line and used someone else to replace Rads. Which makes me glad Chucky and Radulov are finally back together. Flanked by King by the looks of it.

Pacioretty-Danault-Gally
King-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Byron-Plekanec-Shaw
Martinsen-Ott-Mitchell

Last edited:

ericd

Feb 20, 2007
Pacioretty Plekanec Radulov
King Galchenyuk Shaw
Lehkonen Danault Gallagher
Byron Mitchell Flynn
Martinsen Ott Carr

Emelin Weber
Markov Petry
Beaulieu Nesterov
Davidson Benn

Price
Montoya

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
My lines

Galchenyuk -plekanec -radulov
pacioretty -danault-Gallagher
byron-mccaron-King
Lehkonen-ott-shaw

Benn-Weber
Markov-petry
Beaulieu-Davidson

Last edited:

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
If Scherbak/Hudon keep it up they merit another look, both are looking stellar in the AHL and putting up a bunch of points, they also both put up points in brief stints with the big club. Either one could produce well with the Gals

Pacioretty-Danault-Radulov
Scherbak/Hudon-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Byron-Plekanec-Shaw
King-Ott-Mitchell
Lekhonen
Martinsen

Send McCarron back down, he's not quite there and we have some vets to fill the size/grit role now. Let Lekhonen watch from above and refuel, he's starting to look fatigued.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad