Line Combos: 2016-2017 Part III

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
It's been years now, as the season progresses, Flynn and Mitchell fade, DD was fading, Andrighetto fades....these players don't bring much in March, April and on....these new aquisitions bring jam. There will be no more Chipmunk Line or Smurf Line, they brought nothing.

Shaw, Gallagher, Ott......that's a nice collection of pests. We are starting to look like a Western Conference team....feels nice.

I have a feeling, Martinsen will surprise many

Same feeling on Martinsen. He just so happened to be part of a few of my Mise O Jeu bets this season (lol), so I watched a few Avs game, focusing on him. He skates really well, hits, and goes north south. He also drives the net, which most 4th liners do not. Most tend to chip the puck in and give up entirely on trying to actually score. If he has space, he skates into it and goes hard to the net, to at least get a shot off.

Most **** on Byron, for being waiver fodder and useless even on a fourth line. How did that turn out? Decently well Imo. Same feeling here

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not sold on these moves, size does not win games without some talent. I guess the next 18 games will tell, but if they cannot score more goals they are toast.

Jul 6, 2016
Not sold on these moves, size does not win games without some talent. I guess the next 18 games will tell, but if they cannot score more goals they are toast.

But that size might help the talented players to have more breathing room and therefore, be more effective.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It's been years now, as the season progresses, Flynn and Mitchell fade, DD was fading, Andrighetto fades....these players don't bring much in March, April and on....these new aquisitions bring jam. There will be no more Chipmunk Line or Smurf Line, they brought nothing.

Shaw, Gallagher, Ott......that's a nice collection of pests. We are starting to look like a Western Conference team....feels nice.

I have a feeling, Martinsen will surprise many

A Western conference team that's dying for talent, yes.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
But that size might help the talented players to have more breathing room and therefore, be more effective.

I'm old enough to have been around during the 90s when the Habs drafted for size above all else. The same idea was sold to the public that the players with size will allow more room out there for those with talent etc.

Lindsay Vallis, Turner Stevenson, Brent Bilodeau, David Wilkie, Brad Brown and Terry Ryan...From 1989 to 1995. The onlly guy with any talent that became the heart of the team was 1993 Saku Koivu.

So yes having some size on the team is important but if that size does little else but be big and whatnot, it worries the **** out of me.

One

Sep 18, 2007
Montreal
Ott - Ott - Radulov
Ott - Ott - Ott
King - Ott - Ott
Ott - Ott - Ott

Weber - Ott
Ott - Ott
Ott - Ott

Price

:handclap:

Jul 6, 2016
I'm old enough to have been around during the 90s when the Habs drafted for size above all else. The same idea was sold to the public that the players with size will allow more room out there for those with talent etc.

Lindsay Vallis, Turner Stevenson, Brent Bilodeau, David Wilkie, Brad Brown and Terry Ryan...From 1989 to 1995. The onlly guy with any talent that became the heart of the team was 1993 Saku Koivu.

So yes having some size on the team is important but if that size does little else but be big and whatnot, it worries the **** out of me.

Back in those days, almost all the other teams were drafting big players too... Just better scouting and picks.

I was there back in those days too. They took Ryan instead of Iginla !!!! Was trading Chelios for Denis Savard such a good idea ? Or LeClair and Desjardins for Recchi ?

Would you take Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron or Malkin over any smallish centermen that we have-had ?

Habs in 1986 and 1993 had big teams with some smaller very skilled players like Naslund, or Lebeau.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
People have confidence in Danault as #1 C down the stretch and into the playoffs? Has no one noticed his inability to produce there? All I see is the endless Habs' tradition of elevating a 3rd liner to the 1st line and ignoring his offensive warts because he's "responsible".

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Back in those days, almost all the other teams were drafting big players too... Just better scouting and picks.

I was there back in those days too. They took Ryan instead of Iginla !!!! Was trading Chelios for Denis Savard such a good idea ? Or LeClair and Desjardins for Recchi ?

Would you take Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron or Malkin over any smallish centermen that we have-had ?

Chelios was traded for one reason only and it was due to an off-ice incident.

Like I said I hope this somehow works out but when all the scoring has been coming from a few people on the top two lines and the team adds three guys that are really bottom 2 line guys and are not known for scoring..makes ya wonder how this will help with the scoring.

Jul 6, 2016

Like I said I hope this somehow works out but when all the scoring has been coming from a few people on the top two lines and the team adds three guys that are really bottom 2 line guys and are not known for scoring..makes ya wonder how this will help with the scoring.

Watch some Washington games. You will understand quickly why size + talent in the same package is important

Jul 6, 2016

Our three best forwards are all over 6' tall and 200-210- pounds.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Patches- Danault -Gallagher
Lehkonen- Chucky- Radulov
King - Pleky - Shaw
Byron - Ott - McCarron

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Emelin - Benn
Davidson - Nesterov

Price
Montoya

Exactly this for me as well, except I'd have Mitchell over McCarron at this point.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
Patches Danault Radulov
King Galchenyuk Shaw
Lehkonen Pleks Gallagher
Martinson Ott McCarron

Beaulieu Weber
Markov Petry
Davidson Benn

switched and I would love to see that 4th line for a game at least...just for fun....

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
Patches- Chucky -Radulov
King - Pleky - Shaw
Lehkonen- Danault- Gally
Byron - Ott - Martinson

Markov - Weber
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Benn
Davidson - Nesterov

I don't know...forward group spread too thin? too much on line 1?

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
switched and I would love to see that 4th line for a game at least...just for fun....

King shouldn't be in top 6 and Lehkonen and Galchenyuk seem to have some chemistry. Also, each of the bottom 3 lines purposefully has an agitator. Shaw will create some extra space for Chucky, and also he's fast enough and big enough to win corner battles. King creates some space/fear on the 3rd line, and yes ... that 4th line is just plain old fun. An agitator, a tree, and another tree.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
King shouldn't be in top 6 and Lehkonen and Galchenyuk seem to have some chemistry. Also, each of the bottom 3 lines purposefully has an agitator. Shaw will create some extra space for Chucky, and also he's fast enough and big enough to win corner battles. King creates some space/fear on the 3rd line, and yes ... that 4th line is just plain old fun. An agitator, a tree, and another tree.

ok, we can switch it back. your argument is sound.

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
I don't really like the moves in the sense that I think Ott and Martinsen in the sense that including them in the lineup at any point creates a liability on whatever line they play on, but am curious about the Benn trade and like the Davidson/King acquisitions.

Top-3 lines are the same/interchangeable, I'm looking to keep Benn in the lineup for now and would probably try Davidson over Emelin but I doubt they'd do that. The only change to line-4 I'd want is King for Flynn while calling up Carr to come in for Mitchell every once and a while. Ott/Martinsen would only be in my lineup if literally every other fourth line option was injured and, if I had to play both, I'd rather just call up the first line from St. John's and try them there.

The ongoing Weber/Subban controversy proves otherwise.

I think it's a lot less controversial to Bergevin then it is to all of us. We're all at opposite extreme's firmly in our camps and coming to the same places to complain/celebrate the trade. Meanwhile, in the Canadiens office, Bergevin is surrounded by guys who back his decision 100% and will no longer take questions on it publicly. Not he's trying to defuse the controversy by avoiding it but because he believes it's an insult to his intelligence.

I firmly believe that this will all blow up in his face in the near future, being in the Subban camp and all, but, to him, he would make the move again 10 times out of 10. There was no risk.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Patches- Chucky -Radulov
King - Pleky - Shaw
Lehkonen- Danault- Gally
Byron - Ott - Martinson

Markov - Weber
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Benn
Davidson - Nesterov

I don't know...forward group spread too thin? too much on line 1?

As long as line 1 gets line 1 minutes, I'm all for it.

I think we'll be happily surprised to see what King can do around the net... having him and Shaw on the forecheck while Pleks plays more of a defensive role could be a winning combination. The Lehks/Dano/Gally line has very good potential if Gally wakes up under CJ.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
My hopeful offensive lines:

Lekhonen - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher
King - Plekanec - Shaw
Byron - Mitchell - Ott

--

What they will be

Pacioretty - Danault - Radulov
King - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Plekanec - Shaw
Byron - Mitchell - Ott

Well King played with Kopitar. So not a far reach to consider he will be put with Chcuky. Would also lessen the burden on Gallagher as King would be the grind on the line.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Pacioretty - Danault - Radulov
Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
King - Mitchell - Shaw
Martensen - Ott - McCarron

Weber - Emelin
Beaulieu - Petry
Benn - Markov

Price
Montoya

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Enough of Rads' playmaking going to waste half the time, give him Chucky. There would be a lot more scrutiny on Danault's hands of stone in the 1st where he flubbed on a patented Radupass while having a wide open net to shoot at.

Patches - Chucky - Rads (the CPR line)
Lehkonen - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Pleks - Shaw
King - Ott - McCarron

King and Byron are doing one hell of a job on the PK. Weber-Benn-King-Byron is a good PK, going in to the playoffs.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Enough of Rads' playmaking going to waste half the time, give him Chucky. There would be a lot more scrutiny on Danault's hands of stone in the 1st where he flubbed on a patented Radupass while having a wide open net to shoot at.

Patches - Chucky - Rads (the CPR line)
Lehkonen - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Pleks - Shaw
King - Ott - McCarron

King and Byron are doing one hell of a job on the PK. Weber-Benn-King-Byron is a good PK, going in to the playoffs.

Who is taking draws on that PK combo King or Byron? :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad