Line Combos: 2016-2017 Part III

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Hey Mtl fans. Neutral fan here just wondering how you feel about how the TDL ended up going down. Love to hear your thoughts

For me, I absolutely hated every trade since the Desharnais one. None of the players they got have any puck skills. It's so disappointing that we couldn't find a better player than Byron to be in our top 6. If one of Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty go down, we are toast.

As for the line-up:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Lekhonen-Galchenyuk-Radulov
King-Danault-Shaw
Byron-Mitchell-McCarron

Beaulieu-Weber
Emelin-Petry
Markov-Benn

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Hey Mtl fans. Neutral fan here just wondering how you feel about how the TDL ended up going down. Love to hear your thoughts

I was waiting for the avalanche of trades between 3pm and 3:30pm. It didn't happen

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I was waiting for the avalanche of trades between 3pm and 3:30pm. It didn't happen

Is this really a big surprise for Habs fans? MB has never been one to make trades other than low risk or low cost moves.

Was there a consensus among fans as to what they thought they should give up for a Duchene?

Were you happy or sad that MB didn't give up McCarron + 1st for Hanzal?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
For me, I absolutely hated every trade since the Desharnais one. None of the players they got have any puck skills. It's so disappointing that we couldn't find a better player than Byron to be in our top 6. If one of Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty go down, we are toast.

As for the line-up:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Lekhonen-Galchenyuk-Radulov
King-Danault-Shaw
Byron-Mitchell-McCarron

Beaulieu-Weber
Emelin-Petry
Markov-Benn

Is there something you wish they did instead?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Is there something you wish they did instead?

Oh many things from last year that would have made it easier to acquire better talent. But, as for the deadline, yes. 3rd+for Vanek. He may not be the greatest playoff performer, but he would still do better than most of the forwards. That's just one of the many moves I would have done.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Pacioretty-Danault-Radulov
King-Galch-Gally
Lehkonen-Plekanec-Shaw
Byron-Ott-Martinsen

Markov-Weber
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Benn

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Pacioretty - Danault - Shaw
King - Plekanec - Gallagher
Byron - McCarron - Martinsen

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Emelin - Benn

Price

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Is this really a big surprise for Habs fans? MB has never been one to make trades other than low risk or low cost moves.

Was there a consensus among fans as to what they thought they should give up for a Duchene?

Were you happy or sad that MB didn't give up McCarron + 1st for Hanzal?

The ongoing Weber/Subban controversy proves otherwise.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
So we do have a heavier and taller lineup but not really on the second line, I think it's our weakness:

Acquiring a guy like Evander Kane would have been huge.

Big defense and goalies tho.

Pacioretty (6'2, 215) - Danault (6'1, 193) - Radulov (6'2, 205)
Lehkonen (6'0, 182) - Galchenyuk (6'1, 210) - Gallagher (5'9, 182)
King (6'4, 229 - Plekanec (5'11, 196) - Shaw (5'11, 179)
Byron (5'9, 160) - McCarron (6'6, 231) - Mitchell (5'11, 190)

Martinsen (6'3, 220)
Ott (6'0, 193)
Flynn (6'1, 183) Looks so small, I thought he was 5'8...

Markov (6'0, 200) - Weber (6'4, 232)
Emelin (6'2, 218) - Petry (6'3, 204)
Beaulieu (6'2, 205) - Benn (6'2, 200)

Davidson (6'2, 210)
Nesterov (5'11, 191)

Price (6'3, 226)
Montoya (6'2, 209)

Last edited:

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
So we do have a heavier and taller lineup but not really on the second line, I think it's our weakness:

Big defense and goalies tho.

Pacioretty (6'2, 215) - Danault (6'1, 193) - Radulov (6'2, 205)
Lehkonen (6'0, 182) - Galchenyuk (6'1, 210) - Gallagher (5'9, 182)
King (6'4, 229 - Plekanec (5'11, 196) - Shaw (5'11, 179)
Byron (5'9, 160) - McCarron (6'6, 231) - Mitchell (5'11, 190)

Martinsen (6'3, 220)
Ott (6'0, 193)
Flynn (6'1, 183) Looks so small, I thought he was 5'8...

Markov (6'0, 200) - Weber (6'4, 232)
Emelin (6'2, 218) - Petry (6'3, 204)
Beaulieu (6'2, 205) - Benn (6'2, 200)

Davidson (6'2, 210)
Nesterov (5'11, 191)

Price (6'3, 226)
Montoya (6'2, 209)

I like the look of our D under Julien, and I see Nesterov as a poor man's Beaulieu + Davidson as a poor man's Benn which is good backup for the playoffs... Markov will be targeted in the playoffs by big bodied forwards though, might have to reunite Emelin and Weber to soften the blow unfortunately. Can't wait to see what 6'3" 220 lbs Sergachev can bring to the D corps next year, the kid is said to be a fast learner - good, cause CJ has lots to teach him and the upside is huge.

Assuming no major trade, cheap 1-year deal for Markov and Emelin leaving for Vegas...

2017-18
Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Sergachev - Benn
(Davidson - Nestea)

2018-19
Sergachev - Weber
Beaulieu - Petry
Davidson - Benn
(Nestea - Juulsen - Mete)

And hey, if we do have to load up a 1st line with Patches/Chucky/Rads this year I'm interested to see if a hardworking 2nd line of King/Danault/Gallagher can put up points, especially if Gally wakes up under CJ...

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I'm hoping Sergachev is on the one line with Weber. If he is a fast learner, he can learn next to Weber better than next to Benn, where he will have less minutes.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Pacioretty - Danault - Radulov
Byron - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
King - Plekanec - Shaw
Martinsen - Ott - Mitchell

I don't think Lehkonen will be able to stay in lineup

Why would you move Byron to line two and put Lehkonen on the bench? Is he playing better?

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I'm hoping Sergachev is on the one line with Weber. If he is a fast learner, he can learn next to Weber better than next to Benn, where he will have less minutes.

Same here.

I just didn't want ALL the rocks thrown at me by those who wanted to trade Surge yesterday, re: "it'll be years before he's a top D on our team".

He learned to skate pretty late in life.
He's now an excellent skater, could skate circles around Chucky who was a top 3 OV pick.

He learned to speak English only once he arrived in NA.
He's now an excellent speaker, could talk circles around Chucky who's American.

Once he learns how to play defense against NHLers......

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I don't think either Ott or Martensen will be good enough to stay in the lineup consistently.

Think playoff hockey. Those two guys will be the sandpaper we will need. They probably don't score goals, but they do hit and they do fire up the crowd which can then fire up the team. Do not minimize what some good hitting can do for a team. It's not just about scoring.

general schwartzkopf

Jan 2, 2006
well said TennisMenace.

although I agree with most about not enough scoring on the team, I think MB getting a few bigger bodies is a good thing. why? because they are great for the playoffs, insulate smaller players/create space for others, and possibly help with getting goals from in and around the crease. also, this should help reduce the bland, emotionless hockey that we've witnessed during the majority of the season.

a top six scoring forward would've been great to bring in, additionally. let's see how this strategy works out for MB...

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Why would you move Byron to line two and put Lehkonen on the bench? Is he playing better?

Well Lehkonen has 0 points in last 16 games and is -11 in February. His icetime dropped under Julien while Byron's still at around 15min/game. Process of elimination, I think he's going to the press box along with Flynn.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
I personally would go with:

Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Hudon-Plekanec-Shaw
King-Mitchell-Carr
-------------------------------------------------------
Martinsen, Flynn, McCarron, Ott

Markov-Weber
Davidson-Petry
Beaulieu-Benn
-------------------------------------
Nesterov, Emelin, Redmond

PRICE
Montoya

(Ott would never enter my lineup as he's by far our worst player. Martinsen is also a terrible player. I would definitely put Davidson in before Emelin.)

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
King-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Plekanec-Shaw
Martinsen-Ott-Byron

Markov-Weber
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Benn

Davidson will take emelin's spot before playoffs.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I'd start with this:

Pacioretty - Danault - Radulov
Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Shaw
Byron - McCarron - Flynn

Markov - Weber
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Benn

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
There is 0 chance Lehkonen stays on the 2nd line. That D.King pick up is almost surely to help make space for Galchy and Gally. That line needs someone to go in the corners and get the puck out, would give Gally a better shot at finishing and would also help him rebecome the super pest he is.

Lehkonen is either slotting on the 3rd next to Pleky or warming the pressbox.

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
Patches- Danault -Gallagher
Lehkonen- Chucky- Radulov
King - Pleky - Shaw
Byron - Ott - McCarron

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Emelin - Benn
Davidson - Nesterov

Price
Montoya

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
King-Galch-Gally
Lehkonen-Plekanec-Shaw
Byron-Ott-Martinsen

Markov-Weber
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Benn

We have a winner!

If our skill guys can play a skill game and our sandpaper guys can play their gritty game...:yo:

We are now 13th heaviest team in the league.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Byron - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Pacioretty - Danault - Shaw
Martinsen - Ott - Mitchell

Markov - Weber
Emmy - Petry
Beaulieu - Benn

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
We have a winner!

If our skill guys can play a skill game and our sandpaper guys can play their gritty game...:yo:

We are now 13th heaviest team in the league.

Exactly. MB didnt go out and purposely get x3 forwards who are all over 6`3 and 200 lbs just to sit them in favor or lightweights Flynn and Mitchell.

Clearly, the decided to swap the face of the bottom 6.

Also, i am almost certain King was brought in to slot next to the Gallys to give them space and someone to fetch the puck in the corners, instead of poor super featherweigt Gallagher.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Exactly. MB didnt go out and purposely get x3 forwards who are all over 6`3 and 200 lbs just to sit them in favor or lightweights Flynn and Mitchell.

Clearly, the decided to swap the face of the bottom 6.

Also, i am almost certain King was brought in to slot next to the Gallys to give them space and someone to fetch the puck in the corners, instead of poor super featherweigt Gallagher.

It's been years now, as the season progresses, Flynn and Mitchell fade, DD was fading, Andrighetto fades....these players don't bring much in March, April and on....these new aquisitions bring jam. There will be no more Chipmunk Line or Smurf Line, they brought nothing.

Shaw, Gallagher, Ott......that's a nice collection of pests. We are starting to look like a Western Conference team....feels nice.

I have a feeling, Martinsen will surprise many

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad