Line Combos: 2016-2017 Part III

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
We need a key top 6 addition unless we somehow win the cup this season.

We'd still need a key top 6 guy because winning the cup this year would mean Price played like Roy and Hasek reincarnate and then fusioned together.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I agree.
This is why I liked this deal immediately.
If Sutter was able to move King around and he kept pace there is no reason we can't.
Remember the effect Weise had when he was a grinder/finisher.
Many of us discussed the impossibility of doing anything when four or sometimes even five players slotted into your top three lines are either midgets smallish and or soft. He could very well be a long term solution for our third line. So this should open a number of options for coach to explore.
I also thought of king with chuckie and rads. Would not be surprised if mb thought the same.

King wins the board battle. Off to rads and pass snipe Chucky.

Like gillies with Trottier and bossy. Kinda.

King Protects chuckie. Huge and good defensively. Can pot a rebound now and then. I can see king being the 4 goal garbage hero in the po. The guy is huge.

It's his skating I wonder about.

Leks goes to line 3 with plek and shaw. Very good third line.

But yeah I see king at 2 LW In po.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We'd still need a key top 6 guy because winning the cup this year would mean Price played like Roy and Hasek reincarnate and then fusioned together.

I'm not buying the argument that the Habs need "one" guy when it's a team game and our new coach is clearly an upgrade over the previous one! It's a team game and a complete game changer now that CJ is coach. It's a long shot the Habs win a Cup but anything can happen in the playoffs. Metro will beat each other up (more than likely) and the Habs can come out of the Atlantic (very probable). The Habs lacked toughness is past years and that still remains an issue in the top 6. However, it's CJ team now and the past does not equal the future.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I'm not buying the argument that the Habs need "one" guy when it's a team game and our new coach is clearly an upgrade over the previous one! It's a team game and a complete game changer now that CJ is coach. It's a long shot the Habs win a Cup but anything can happen in the playoffs. Metro will beat each other up (more than likely) and the Habs can come out of the Atlantic (very probable). The Habs lacked toughness is past years and that still remains an issue in the top 6. However, it's CJ team now and the past does not equal the future.

That's loser mentality, no offense. We've been through 20+ years with the "anything can happen in the playoffs" approach. Nothing but mediocrity and failures.

Julien does change alot versus Therrien. Unfortunately that's not enough to compensate for MB coasting on the core he inherited. Bergevin will have to contribute or get shown the door if this team wants to be serious contenders.

Anyways back to the lines, any news if Radu plays tonight? Hope he slots in with Chucky and we keep Patch-Danault-Gally together.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I also thought of king with chuckie and rads. Would not be surprised if mb thought the same.

King wins the board battle. Off to rads and pass snipe Chucky.

Like gillies with Trottier and bossy. Kinda.

King Protects chuckie. Huge and good defensively. Can pot a rebound now and then. I can see king being the 4 goal garbage hero in the po. The guy is huge.

It's his skating I wonder about.

Leks goes to line 3 with plek and shaw. Very good third line.

But yeah I see king at 2 LW In po.

From RDS today:

Andrew Shaw se retrouvait sur le premier trio à la droite de Phillip Danault et Max Pacioretty.

Radulov, qui a raté les trois derniers matchs du CH, évoluait sur la deuxième unité en compagnie d’Alex Galchenyuk et Artturi Lehkonen.

So Danault and Shaw with Patches on the first line, and Lehkonen joining Galchenyuk and Radulov on the second line.

With all due respect, that's like reversing the order of the first two lines.

The best LW is on the so-called 1st line, and the best C and the best RW are on the so-called second line.

At any rate, I'm happy to see the scoring split between two lines more.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Your ideal fourth line for the playoffs

So the top 9 is comprised of Pacioretty, Danault, Radulov, Plekanec, Gallagher, Byron, Shaw, Lehkonen and Galchenyuk.

The Habs have 6 healthy bodies that have been rotating in and out of the fourth line.

Dwight King
Steve Ott
Andreas Martinsen
Micheal McCarron
Brian Flynn
Torrey Mitchell

What is your ideal fourth line for the playoffs going forward? Personally I liked the King, McCarron, Martinsen group from Saturday night although I am fine with almost any combination except for one that has both Flynn and Mitchell together. I think a fourth line should be able to tenderize the other teams defence and be a momentum line. I wouldn't be surprised if Flynn doesn't see another game, injuries notwithstanding. Ott could be useful for faceoffs. I also feel setting a line and sticking with it through the playoffs can be beneficial. Unless one of the guys is really struggling.

Who would you roll out there for game one against NYR?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I like Martinsen, Ott, and McCarron

King will probably be in there, and Big Mac wont, but I like the MOM line...

Flynn is done, and Mitchell is pretty close to being done...

Aug 25, 2009
éal
So the top 9 is comprised of Pacioretty, Danault, Radulov, Plekanec, Gallagher, Byron, Shaw, Lehkonen and Galchenyuk.

The Habs have 6 healthy bodies that have been rotating in and out of the fourth line.

Dwight King
Steve Ott
Andreas Martinsen
Micheal McCarron
Brian Flynn
Torrey Mitchell

What is your ideal fourth line for the playoffs going forward? Personally I liked the King, McCarron, Martinsen group from Saturday night although I am fine with almost any combination except for one that has both Flynn and Mitchell together. I think a fourth line should be able to tenderize the other teams defence and be a momentum line. I wouldn't be surprised if Flynn doesn't see another game, injuries notwithstanding. Ott could be useful for faceoffs. I also feel setting a line and sticking with it through the playoffs can be beneficial. Unless one of the guys is really struggling.

Who would you roll out there for game one against NYR?

I bet we will see

King - Ott - Mitchell

On the first game. They are the one with the most experience, the most reliable on their own zone.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
King-Mitchell-McCarron

Great on the cycle and theres some offensive power there, and thats a must for any PO success. Offensive production from the 4th line is essential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad