Waived: 2016-17 Waivers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It could be wrong but Cap Friendly shows the Ducks at a 24 man roster with Nate Thompson on IR

As for LTIR, is basically doesn't exist unless you need to exceed the cap with a replacement player, which right now the Ducks do not.

It can exist, up to the individual team. Teams can place players on LTIR without exercising the LTIR Exception. The only advantage I'm aware of to having a player on LTIR without the Exception is that the team can send the player down to the AHL for a conditioning stint (they still count fully against the team cap).

Though because teams can retroactively place a player on LTIR there probably isn't much incentive to use LTIR over regular IR unless the team wants to use the Exception or conditioning assignment.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Why are the Ducks allowed to send Rakell down to the minors without waivers on a conditioning assignment and still have 23 other players on the active roster?

Seems weird.

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
Why are the Ducks allowed to send Rakell down to the minors without waivers on a conditioning assignment and still have 23 other players on the active roster?

Seems weird.
Conditioning assignments occur every yr for players returning from injury (remember Rakell had appendectomy complications and a surgery in Sept). He's listed as on IR too so I doubt he counts against the roster until he's removed from that list. Its also technically part of the CBA too and limited in length of time:

A player whom consented to a Conditioning Loan can be Loaned to a minor league club for a maximum of 14 days without passing through waivers. CBA Reference 13.8

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-faq

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Inter alia because they're on IR, not LTIR.

Every player on IR counts against the cap.

Not actually though.

A player on conditioning stint is not on LTIR or IR. As per the CBA they are on Active Roster

A player on "Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan" (quite the mouthful), CBA 13.9, on the other hand IS actually on LTIR. The difference here is the player is limited to 6 days/3 games, and is sent down from LTIR " solely for the purpose
of determining whether the Player is fit to play".

Standard conditioning stint though, the point stands - they are not with the main roster, but their salary cap is applied in full.

(For bona fide exception loans, the player does not count against daily roster restrictions, and is not on team cap)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Not actually though.

A player on conditioning stint is not on LTIR or IR. As per the CBA they are on Active Roster

A player on "Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan" (quite the mouthful), CBA 13.9, on the other hand IS actually on LTIR. The difference here is the player is limited to 6 days/3 games, and is sent down from LTIR " solely for the purpose
of determining whether the Player is fit to play".

Standard conditioning stint though, the point stands - they are not with the main roster, but their salary cap is applied in full.

(For bona fide exception loans, the player does not count against daily roster restrictions, and is not on team cap)

A couple points of clarification:
- A player on a regular Conditioning Loan may not be physically with the NHL team, but the CBA treats the situation as if they were. That player would count against the 23 man Active Roster limit. (you implied this earlier, but I wanted to make it more clear)

- Players on LTIR Conditioning Loans do not count against the roster limit (due to LTIR), but are on the team cap. Though teams are allowed to exercise an LTIR Exception to replace that player and exceed the cap.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
A couple points of clarification:
- A player on a regular Conditioning Loan may not be physically with the NHL team, but the CBA treats the situation as if they were. That player would count against the 23 man Active Roster limit. (you implied this earlier, but I wanted to make it more clear)

- Players on LTIR Conditioning Loans do not count against the roster limit (due to LTIR), but are on the team cap. Though teams are allowed to exercise an LTIR Exception to replace that player and exceed the cap.

Yes, very wise to clear up that second part.

It's what I meant in my head, but what I typed can be surely misleading.
They count as any other LTIR player; they can be left on the team cap, or held as LTIR Exception. I meant that they are not held with the same cap restrictions as a standard player, but I wrote they are by default exempt from the cap, which is wrong.
Thanks for clearing that up, mouser!

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006

I'm disappointed Ottawa didn't put in a claim. Goloubef is better than Wideman.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

Just finished up his mandatory suspension from last season. That's why he's only on waivers now.

EDIT: I said mandatory as if there are some suspensions you can choose not serve :laugh:, but what I meant was it was automatic and mandatory 20 game suspension for violating the NHL substance program, as opposed to a reviewed suspension for an on-ice infraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln