Waived: 2016-17 Waivers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Wow! Sure would be nice if the new Vegas team were allowed to claim players already, and then loan them to someone else. There is a lot of talent hitting the wire right now. Pulkkinen, Lander, Parenteau, and Conacher are all NHL quality forwards.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
I don't think Aaron Dell actually has any NHL experience aside from this preseason..

Not to mention the fact that his name sounds like Arandelle, the place Elsa and Anna are from in Frozen.

Maybe I'm the only one on here with daughters, but this makes me laugh and cringe at the same time.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Scott Wedgewood 24yo -- AHL 99GP, 0.907
Mike Condon 26yo -- AHL 56GP, 0.920
Aaron Dell 27yo -- AHL 72GP, 0.924

:dunno:

Went to the Ducks/sharks preseason game the other night.
sell looked pretty solid, moved well.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Wow! Sure would be nice if the new Vegas team were allowed to claim players already, and then loan them to someone else. There is a lot of talent hitting the wire right now. Pulkkinen, Lander, Parenteau, and Conacher are all NHL quality forwards.

I agree. The league really could use expansion right now.

I feel like it might be good to put them last on the waiver list and let claim up to 5 players or something for the season.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005

I feel like it might be good to put them last on the waiver list and let claim up to 5 players or something for the season.

but the player actually needs a team to play on..

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

Dahlbeck/Griffith/Pulkkinen/Condon/Parenteau only claims

Last edited:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

This runs rather contrary to the main thing that waivers accomplishes - which is to give players a chance to play for another NHL team rather than be sent down to the minors. Even if Las Vegas were placed last in waiver priority, meaning they only won a claim if no one else placed one, it'd still hurt claimed players because they couldn't be called up and earn an NHL salary/establish themselves as NHLers.

I also don't really see what such an allowance would actually accomplish. There will be plenty of players similar to players currently on the waiver wire available as free agents during the offseason, or on the waiver wire prior to next season.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Bobby Mac was wrong:

Gerbe won't report to his AHL team, will go to Switzerland.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
This runs rather contrary to the main thing that waivers accomplishes - which is to give players a chance to play for another NHL team rather than be sent down to the minors. Even if Las Vegas were placed last in waiver priority, meaning they only won a claim if no one else placed one, it'd still hurt claimed players because they couldn't be called up and earn an NHL salary/establish themselves as NHLers.

I also don't really see what such an allowance would actually accomplish. There will be plenty of players similar to players currently on the waiver wire available as free agents during the offseason, or on the waiver wire prior to next season.

So allow the player to stay within the organization that put them on waivers. Lander, as an example, was waived by Edmonton. So let LV claim him, and he can report to the Oilers AHL affiliate. But now his contract belongs to Vegas. If Edmonton wants to call him back up, I'm sure Vegas would allow that.

It's not totally unprecedented. Matt Frattin was traded to Ottawa last season in the Phaneuf deal. But he stayed in the Toronto organization (link) in spite of being property of the Sens.

Not a huge deal, maybe give them 5th or 15th priority. Or last, so they don't interfere with any current teams plans. The idea is just to give them a chance at some depth as early as possible. They are going to have to share a farm team at the beginning, because they won't have the organizational depth to sustain their own. So give them a chance at some players to fill the jerseys.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
So allow the player to stay within the organization that put them on waivers. Lander, as an example, was waived by Edmonton. So let LV claim him, and he can report to the Oilers AHL affiliate. But now his contract belongs to Vegas. If Edmonton wants to call him back up, I'm sure Vegas would allow that.

It's not totally unprecedented. Matt Frattin was traded to Ottawa last season in the Phaneuf deal. But he stayed in the Toronto organization (link) in spite of being property of the Sens.

the bolded part is where your idea is mistaken

Yes, there is precedent, for an NHL team to assign a player to a minor league club other than their own Affiliate.

Sometimes to get him out of the way.
Sometimes, as with Fratten, as a way to allow a player to stay with his old team for competitive, or other reasons; and perhaps as a term of the trade.

BUT only the team that owns his rights can recall him to NHL, and dress him for NHL games

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

Not a huge deal, maybe give them 5th or 15th priority. Or last, so they don't interfere with any current teams plans. The idea is just to give them a chance at some depth as early as possible. They are going to have to share a farm team at the beginning, because they won't have the organizational depth to sustain their own. So give them a chance at some players to fill the jerseys.

Precisely! I said last priority because that means no other team did in fact want the player, and so LV can loan that player to the original team's minor league (or to the original team).
Let's say for example Toronto waived Leivo and LV claimed him with 5th priority but MIN wanted him at 17th, and then he gets loaned to the Marlies, as if there was no claim, then that's a little unfair to MIN. Letting them claim players at 31st makes sense to me.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
the bolded part is where your idea is mistaken

Yes, there is precedent, for an NHL team to assign a player to a minor league club other than their own Affiliate.

Sometimes to get him out of the way.
Sometimes, as with Fratten, as a way to allow a player to stay with his old team for competitive, or other reasons; and perhaps as a term of the trade.

BUT only the team that owns his rights can recall him to NHL, and dress him for NHL games

Well I'm not trying to derail the thread. But why wouldn't a different NHL team be allowed to play someone in this situation? The suggestion is to make up some rules, so why make them up with that restriction?

In European soccer they loan players to other teams in the same league. In my example with Lander, why wouldn't Edmonton want to keep him in the system for a year, especially if they can still call him up for injuries or whatever. And Vegas would be happy to allow him the experience of playing in the NHL if he can. Win-win.

And it's not like teams could take advantage by waiving good players so that LV can pay them. They would risk losing them to a different organization first, and you can sort out some rules so that no one gets unfair cap relief.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Well I'm not trying to derail the thread. But why wouldn't a different NHL team be allowed to play someone in this situation? The suggestion is to make up some rules, so why make them up with that restriction?

In European soccer they loan players to other teams in the same league. In my example with Lander, why wouldn't Edmonton want to keep him in the system for a year, especially if they can still call him up for injuries or whatever. And Vegas would be happy to allow him the experience of playing in the NHL if he can. Win-win.

And it's not like teams could take advantage by waiving good players so that LV can pay them. They would risk losing them to a different organization first, and you can sort out some rules so that no one gets unfair cap relief.

The CBA permits only players that are under contract to be on a team's active roster. Loaning players to another NHL teams is not allowed because it could be used to circumvent the 50-contract, 90-player reserve list limits.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
The CBA permits only players that are under contract to be on a team's active roster. Loaning players to another NHL teams is not allowed because it could be used to circumvent the 50-contract, 90-player reserve list limits.

But again, we're making up rules for a hypothetical situation, so we can make up rules to address that. We could either the rules and hypothetically allow a team to be 91 club slots, 51 playing contracts, or 24-man day rosters, or we could right in a clause that says if the non-LV club chooses to recall that player, that play must count against their roster and contract limits

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
So allow the player to stay within the organization that put them on waivers. Lander, as an example, was waived by Edmonton. So let LV claim him, and he can report to the Oilers AHL affiliate. But now his contract belongs to Vegas. If Edmonton wants to call him back up, I'm sure Vegas would allow that. (...)

You forgot a small detail: if LV wants to send him to the minors (which they would have to do, duh), they would have to put him on waivers.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Wouldn't be surprised if San Jose puts in a claim on Stalock.

They already know how he plays in net and it would be the same tandem they started with last season.

There was talk before the start of last season that philly was interested in Stalock, I'm so glad that never came to fruition.

Which is precisely why the Sharks won't be interested in Stalock. He was brutal last season. They acquired Reimer specifically so a night's rest for Jones wasn't a guaranteed loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad