Waived: 2016-17 Waivers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I know it may seem a little early for this but is Gilbert worth a gamble for a team looking for an extra insurance defenseman?

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I know it may seem a little early for this but is Gilbert worth a gamble for a team looking for an extra insurance defenseman?

Kings fan here. I know my fellow fans may disagree with me, but I thought Gilbert was solid on the team this year. The problem was he had one really bad game a while back and Sutter benched him since then. While benched, one of our rookie defenseman, Gravel, played great and Sutter had no reason to reinsert Gilbert into the lineup.

I would like to have Gilbert available to the Kings as insurance, and think he would be perfect as a bottom pairing defenseman on a team that needs better options.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings fan here. I know my fellow fans may disagree with me, but I thought Gilbert was solid on the team this year. The problem was he had one really bad game a while back and Sutter benched him since then. While benched, one of our rookie defenseman, Gravel, played great and Sutter had no reason to reinsert Gilbert into the lineup.

I would like to have Gilbert available to the Kings as insurance, and think he would be perfect as a bottom pairing defenseman on a team that needs better options.

Nope, I'll concur. He's been good, especially on the bottom pairing. Just didn't get into enough games to get into a groove imo, plus Greene had been playing really well and he brings an element Gilbert didn't. But it's curious timing with Greene now on IR because that leaves us with 6 dmen, a roster spot, and Doughty as the only RHD on the roster. WEird to waive him, especially with the mass of 'vets' status on our AHL squad.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
McIlrath cleared? Oh say it aren't so. How many times will every GM in the league make the same mistake.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
So how long does it take when a player is waived for him to clear and for cap space to be opened up?

When a player is placed on waivers, there is a 24 hour period for other other teams to put in a claim for that player.

After 24 hours (waivers are always processed at noon, so doesn't matter if a team announces a player is going on waivers at 6am, the window doesn't open until noon, and then ends at noon the next day), if another team has successfully made a claim, the player instantly becomes property of that new team.

The new team takes on all cap responsibility for that player, and pays a small fee to the team that lost the player (this does not affect the cap). Cap space is instantly cleared for the old team.

If a player clears waivers, the team may elect to send the player down to the minors, but they may also keep him in the NHL (ie. after a player clears, the team does not have to send him down). If they keep him up after clearing, he has a normal cap hit and the team has about a 30 day window when they can send him down to the minors without needing to put him back on waivers.

If the team elects to send a cleared player down to the minors (AHL, or ECHL if the player agrees to going to the ECHL or has an entry level contract), up to $950,000 is taken off the books (this number is determined as the minimum NHL salary for the year + $375,000, so it can change - this year, the minimum salary is $575,000). If a player makes less than this at the NHL level, then the player is effectively gone from the team, cap wise. If the player makes more than this, say $1,950,000, then $950,000 comes off, but the team is stuck with a $1M cap hit for burying the player, or whatever the remainder of the cap hit would be.

Once the player is in the minors, they will be paid according to their contract stipulations. A one-way contract means they will be paid their full NHL salary in the minors, and a two-way contract means the team and player negotiated a different salary for if the player is playing in the minors. There is a common misconception that "one-way"/"two-way" contracts determines a player's waiver eligibility but that is based (imo) a surprisingly complicated system of games played, years with a pro contract, age when drafted and age when their first contract was signed; "one-way"/"two-way" only dictates pay.

If a player has a two-way NHL contract, with and NHL salary greater than $950,000 and an AHL salary of let's say $50,000 for example, the player will be paid its lower salary in the minors AND the NHL team will be stuck with the bury penalty.
I don't know if I have seen that happen before though. (Normally if you are good enough to get a contract over that minimum number, you are good enough to negotiate a one-way.)

TL;DR: It takes 24 hours after initially being waived. After 24 hours, the player is instantly cleared or claimed, and any cap changes are instantly applied.

Last edited:

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
When a player is placed on waivers, there is a 24 hour period for other other teams to put in a claim for that player.

After 24 hours (waivers are always processed at noon, so doesn't matter if a team announces a player is going on waivers at 6am, the window doesn't open until noon, and then ends at noon the next day), if another team has successfully made a claim, the player instantly becomes property of that new team.

The new team takes on all cap responsibility for that player, and pays a small fee to the team that lost the player (this does not affect the cap). Cap space is instantly cleared for the old team.

If a player clears waivers, the team may elect to send the player down to the minors, but they may also keep him in the NHL (ie. after a player clears, the team does not have to send him down). If they keep him up after clearing, he has a normal cap hit and the team has about a 30 day window when they can send him down to the minors without needing to put him back on waivers.

If the team elects to send a cleared player down to the minors (AHL, or ECHL if the player agrees to going to the ECHL or has an entry level contract), up to $950,000 is taken off the books (this number is determined as the minimum NHL salary for the year + $375,000, so it can change - this year, the minimum salary is $575,000). If a player makes less than this at the NHL level, then the player is effectively gone from the team, cap wise. If the player makes more than this, say $1,950,000, then $950,000 comes off, but the team is stuck with a $1M cap hit for burying the player, or whatever the remainder of the cap hit would be.

Once the player is in the minors, they will be paid according to their contract stipulations. A one-way contract means they will be paid their full NHL salary in the minors, and a two-way contract means the team and player negotiated a different salary for if the player is playing in the minors. There is a common misconception that "one-way"/"two-way" contracts determines a player's waiver eligibility but that is based (imo) a surprisingly complicated system of games played, years with a pro contract, age when drafted and age when their first contract was signed; "one-way"/"two-way" only dictates pay.

If a player has a two-way NHL contract, with and NHL salary greater than $950,000 and an AHL salary of let's say $50,000 for example, the player will be paid its lower salary in the minors AND the NHL team will be stuck with the bury penalty.
I don't know if I have seen that happen before though. (Normally if you are good enough to get a contract over that minimum number, you are good enough to negotiate a one-way.)

TL;DR: It takes 24 hours after initially being waived. After 24 hours, the player is instantly cleared or claimed, and any cap changes are instantly applied.

Thanks for the info.

backflip

Jan 2, 2016
Barberio

Habs got lucky clearing Redmond, don't want to see a solid depth guy like Barberio lost for nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->