Proposal: Tavares and the Hawks make sense

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
On July 2nd, Tavares has 1 season of term and is owed only league minimum salary. The Hawks are desperate for good pros, being willing to overpay guys like Foligno and Perry in order to bring in certain habits to a rebuilding club.

Tavares is not worth 11M but is still a top 6 center and would give them likely 50-70 points, being elite on draws and strong defensively. Gives them a guy who unquestionably works his ass off on and off the ice even if his skills have diminished.

I think there is a fit here even if the Leafs retain a few million to make it work, it might make sense for both clubs just to give the Leafs flexibility and the Hawks it fills a need for them as well.

I think there is a strong fit here even if he comes over with a 7-8M cap hit for 1 season, it gives the Leafs change and cap space to add to the team. The question if the Leafs ask him to waive remains. And of course the return is likely not too much, but I think they will get something in this scenario.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He won’t do it. But it actually would make sense. They don’t need the cap. They need a c. And he will be making nothing

He probably extends with the leafs on a cheap deal. 4-5 million. But it would work except.

Who are they spending it on? Lindholm? That would give them 30 million in space.

Reactions: cyris

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
He won’t do it. But it actually would make sense. They don’t need the cap. They need a c. And he will be making nothing

He probably extends with the leafs on a cheap deal. 4-5 million. But it would work except.

Who are they spending it on? Lindholm? That would give them 30 million in space.

For the Leafs it is just about change. Moving Tavares and then Marner in another deal gives them 22M of cap space but more importantly is a massive change to the core. Tavares money can be used to retain guys like Domi and Bertuzzi or get other players like that.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
A not to exciting prospect is my guess

No retention needed

Hard to say with that. Leafs likely don't need the full 11M of relief, I guess it depends on what the Hawks want to do and potential returns. But if you take full salary, yeah it would basically be a contract for contract trade mostly

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Hard to say with that. Leafs likely don't need the full 11M of relief, I guess it depends on what the Hawks want to do and potential returns. But if you take full salary, yeah it would basically be a contract for contract trade mostly
Not saying the leafs do need the full relief but the hawks don’t need any retention to facilitate a Tavares deal

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I just don't know how it's remotely enticing for a long in the tooth player with no Stanley cup and a full no move to waive for a team full on in a rebuild

Well the sales pitch would be he plays there and then decides what to do. Hawks could easily retain 50% and get some good assets at the TDL and trade him to a playoff team. If he loves it there he can extend

Reactions: Muffinalt and Forge

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think that's some pretty serious wishful thinking.

IDK if it is. Lots of examples in NHL history of teams forcing guys with trade protection out. Been a talking about in Toronto this week and lots of examples have been brought up.

Gabriel Landeskog

Aug 25, 2006
IDK if it is. Lots of examples in NHL history of teams forcing guys with trade protection out. Been a talking about in Toronto this week and lots of examples have been brought up.
Why would he want to move his family or be away from them for the season/playoff run if he gets traded twice as you mentioned when he can stay on his hometown team who will be in the playoffs with a strong roster and decide in UFA where to go afterwards.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Possibly but the last one I really remember was McDonagh and the only way Tampa pulled that off was because he had a NTC not a NMC and could be thrown on waivers. If Tavares has a full NMC even that isn't a threat.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
He's not waiving
DhCQhu-UcAEBCZI.jpg:large

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
He'll probably sign there after next season on a 3-4m aav (foligno style).

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Well the sales pitch would be he plays there and then decides what to do. Hawks could easily retain 50% and get some good assets at the TDL and trade him to a playoff team. If he loves it there he can extend
I mean they could, but to go from captain to cap dump/ next Taylor Hall is a rough way to go.
If the Hawks do it though he'd be a pretty strong add to mentor the kids.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I mean they could, but to go from captain to cap dump/ next Taylor Hall is a rough way to go.
If the Hawks do it though he'd be a pretty strong add to mentor the kids.

Maple Leafs talk shows have spent the last two days talking about how the lockerroom is devoid of leadership. So how does that even make sense to assume he’s going to mentor kids?

Reactions: Bexlyspeed

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
On July 2nd, Tavares has 1 season of term and is owed only league minimum salary. The Hawks are desperate for good pros, being willing to overpay guys like Foligno and Perry in order to bring in certain habits to a rebuilding club.

Tavares is not worth 11M but is still a top 6 center and would give them likely 50-70 points, being elite on draws and strong defensively. Gives them a guy who unquestionably works his ass off on and off the ice even if his skills have diminished.

I think there is a fit here even if the Leafs retain a few million to make it work, it might make sense for both clubs just to give the Leafs flexibility and the Hawks it fills a need for them as well.

I think there is a strong fit here even if he comes over with a 7-8M cap hit for 1 season, it gives the Leafs change and cap space to add to the team. The question if the Leafs ask him to waive remains. And of course the return is likely not too much, but I think they will get something in this scenario.
The second you said tavares is good defensively your post became wrong

ABCUser

Mar 9, 2016
Would JT consider going back to the Islanders? Maybe Sorokin, Pulock & a first for him. Of course it would have to be a sign & trade because that would be too much for a 1 year rental. Maybe a 5 or 6 year contract but not 8. Remember, he said he always loved being an Islander.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Would JT consider going back to the Islanders? Maybe Sorokin, Pulock & a first for him. Of course it would have to be a sign & trade because that would be too much for a 1 year rental. Maybe a 5 or 6 year contract but not 8. Remember, he said he always loved being an Islander.

Yeah, that's not even close to being the return to get him back to the Island, even for one season. Halak, Ryder and a second present-day is an overpay

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad