Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Ottawa trades: Lazar, Englund, 2017 1rst round pick
Carolina trades: Skinner

I'd certainly like Skinner, but I doubt the canes do this.

The value for Lazar is pretty low right now. Englund isn't known all that well outside the organization, I don't think. So it all comes down to the 1st round pick, which wouldn't be all that high of a pick. Unlikely to be a top 10.

I would like Skinner though.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

Ottawa trades: Hammond
San Jose trades: 2017 4th round pick(keep in mind Doug Wilson traded two 2nd's for Polak)

*Possible trade instead of the Skinner trade*

Ottawa trades: Lazar, Englund, 2018 2nd round pick
New York Islanders trade: Brock Nelson

I was a fan of Skinner in the past. The problem is that Skinner is making $6m (cash, not cap) and the Sens would only be sending out $140k (in cash).

We are a budget team. CMac may have his contract insured, but we are still on the hook for a both when he comes back.

Add to fact that Skinner has a history with concussions and that makes things iffy.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016

Skinner to Ottawa has been done a million times over. Canes fans have made it abundantly clear, he is not moving bar severe overpayment which this is certainly not. In fact this is an underpayment given the current value of our first. Canes need scoring help up front, Skinner is their best scoring forward. Makes no sense for them.

Add to fact that Skinner has a history with concussions and that makes things iffy.

The whole Skinner being injury prone thing is blown way out of proportion on HF. Here's the number of games per season he's missed in the past 4 seasons: 0, 5, 11, 6. Hardly significant numbers.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would see where we are in January, like others have been saying above. If we are in a 4-8 spot, and our play is that of a playoff team, I'd look to bring a 25/28 year old winger in, and get a stable presence for our bottom pair/pressbox (I'd want Boro out, but realize that will not happen).

Lazar/Paul/Gagne/Chlapik/White would be guys I'd offer up, though I'd prefer not to let go of Chlapik.

Chabot/Brown/Englund/Jaros/Dahlen/Perron would be kept if it were up to me.

I have faith in White being a quality tweener player as soon as next year. I would hang on to him and Chlapik, who I think is rounding into a good player as well. I know he hasn't put up scads of points yet this year but from what I can tell he is playing really well at both ends.

Lazar Paul Gagne Ahl ... well yah sure I can see letting them go as trade add ons ... they don't command much value on their own.

In the end I think it depends on who would be coming back for any of our top prospects and high picks. I would not consider anyone untouchable.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We didnt draft those players and using examples that were drafted 13 years ago is a little thin.

What do you mean "thin"?

The point was not that we drafted them or not, it was that they were in fact drafted high or worthy of a high pick, in a possible reaction to a post saying "we can't be good because we don't draft high enough so we lack elite talent"

And if you don't like when they got drafted, just remove the years they were drafted.

- Erik Karlsson would be top-3 in a 2008 re-draft
- Mark Stone would be top-10 in a 2010 re-draft
- Mike Hoffman would be top-10 in a 2009 re-draft
- Kyle Turris 3rd OA
- Bobby Ryan 2nd OA
- Derick Brassard 6th OA
- Dion Phaneuf 9th OA

Oldest player there is Phaneuf. Maybe he doesn't play the same way as he did when he was 22 y/o, but he certainly has other things to offer now, things that comes with experience and knowledge of the game.

What exactly does that mean? That he kept stopping the puck despite not being very good?

Don't get me wrong, to me, he's at best an average backup, and he certainly has his flaws, but I just don't get what your trying to say.

To me:

Assets: Quick legs. Never gives up on the play. Usually pretty good at tracking the puck (rebounds ect). Good first save goalie (with some exceptions).

Flaws: Can make himself small in net. Can have trouble seeing past traffic. Gets himself out of position on scrambly plays. Rebound control is just average for a backup.

Hammond's at his best when the team in front of him is playing a predictable game, which I think is why his numbers aren't great on the PK. Poor man's Elliot imo. There are backups I'd prefer over him, and backups I wouldn't.

OK sorry I didn't do the follow-up but 2 days ago, not that bad I guess lol, been busy

OK what I am trying to say with this is that despite his magic run and great stats, I never saw his play as sustainable. I'm not an expert but goalie is the position I played (and still play). I know more about it than other positions.

Yes, Hammond has quick legs and great determination but IMO he doesn't have the structure/technique or the 3D space vision (spatial intelligence) as well as superior athleticism to have longevity in the toughest league in the world. Of course I could be wrong but this is my opinion on his game. I still remember Jim Carey lol, do you?

What I mean by "stats kept lying" is that you watch him play and don't understand why he is 2nd on that list behind only Carey Price :

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=0&type=goals&sort=SvPct&sortdir=DESC

That's why I have been betting on since the beginning that those numbers won't last, and yeah revert to below average back-up eventually.

When numbers work with my argument = stats are godly evidence

When numbers don't work with my argument = numbers are lying

....I guess? :dunno:

Kinda funny since Xspyrit tends to use stats all the time to back his position.

Ah common now, you're accusing me of being intellectually dishonest, something I have accused some other posters to do. You'd have a point if it was a pattern but you know it's not, I will always recognize stats and factual evidence as the central focus of an argument, but in this case, I feel it's an exception. Hammond caught fire in 2014-15 and the team played really well in front of him, they were on a mission. Hammond was back-to-earth as soon as the playoffs begun. We probably win that series with Andy starting in game 1

I have the right to criticize players too, no? At least I am not bashing them or making them as crap like many hockey fans do.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Radical proposal:

Bobby Ryan + Clarke MacArthur (assuming he is finished and also uninsured) for Dustin Brown + Marian Gaborik

Sens get rid of Ryan's contract in exchnage for two less-terrible contracts. Both Gaborik and Brown have front-loaded contracts, which means in 3-4 years their combined salaries will be less than Ryan's salary alone, despite their combined cap hits being signifantly higher, which is valuable for a budget team like the Sens, but not for a cap team like LA. Also getting rid of MacArthur's contract in the deal means salary savings of 5M for the next 4 years, which we can't afford, but LA can...

So...

- Dustin Brown 6 years left (32 to 38) at 5.875, averaged 27 pts per 82 games in the last 3 seasons

- Marian Gaborik 5 years left (34 to 39) at 4.875, averaged 49 pts per 82 games in the last 3 seasons (but only played 66% of the games)

are less terrible contracts than :

- Bobby Ryan 6 years left (29 to 35) at 7.125, averaged 57 pts per 82 games in the last 3 seasons

OK I guess it's a free speech society :popcorn:

At least their deals are front loaded so it will be better to pay them as broken down players in their late 30's. Ryan in his early 30's will be a broken down player anyway. No, wait! He already is because he doesn't skate fast.

Also, Clarke MacArthur's contract is insured if he is LTIR, so no impact on financials for now, they don't have to get rid of it at all.

benjiv1 said it was, and he's got a proven track record of having inside info.

ESTIMATED SALARY EXPENDITURE 2016-17 : $67,925,000
CLARKE MACARTHUR NHL SALARY 2016-17 : $4,500,000

So in reality, Sens spend "only" $63,425,000... Only the Canes spend lower and they are rebuilding.

Don't listen to these guys. You are well within your rights to complain constantly.

:laugh:

^The team is not doing well. Our goaltending is saving the team's ass each night and getting us points. Unsustainable.

Here's a quote for you :

Looking at the % of total scoring chances that are considered high danger chances (High Danger scoring chances / total scoring chances),

Ottawa ranks 7th best in percentage of scoring chances for that qualify as high danger
and 2nd best in percentage of scoring chances against that qualify as high danger

So, based on this metric which I have done zero research into whether it is in any way predicative at all, we seem to be keep the quality of chances for up, and against down.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'd be interested in Anthony Mantha who IMO has the potential to turn into another Mark Stone type of player.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I'd be interested in Anthony Mantha who IMO has the potential to turn into another Mark Stone type of player.

I don't think Mantha will ever be on Stone's level; his brain just isn't as quick as Stone's. He won't think the game as well as Stone at the NHL level. Few do.

I think he'd be a nice complementary piece though. I bet the Wings would still have a pretty high asking price though.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Mantha probably only gets moved if a top 4 D is coming back to Detroit.

Won't get him unless Ceci/Chabot is going back the other way.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Mantha probably only gets moved if a top 4 D is coming back to Detroit.

Won't get him unless Ceci/Chabot is going back the other way.

I didn't think Mantha was quite that highly regarded, but he's certainly a fine prospect that Detroit would want a lot back to consider moving.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lots of scouts in Ottawa & Bingo

Hoffman for Trouba

Lazar & Ceci for Skinner

We wish

But yes, I expect to see some 1for1 deals coming up. Our personnel isn't bad at all.

Turris
Brassard
Stone
Hoffman

Those are great players... but their chemistry together isn't so great so i can definitely see some of those guys dealt for equivalent players who also struggling or who want out.

I still cant believe we moved Zib, oh well.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Not sure about stone level. But I would have taken Mantha in that draft. Don't think they'll be too interested in trading him before getting a decent look in the nhl.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
We wish

But yes, I expect to see some 1for1 deals coming up. Our personnel isn't bad at all.

Turris
Brassard
Stone
Hoffman

Those are great players... but their chemistry together isn't so great so i can definitely see some of those guys dealt for equivalent players who also struggling or who want out.

I still cant believe we moved Zib, oh well.

You mention our chemistry isn't great amongst our top players but then say you can't believe we got rid of Zibby. He didn't fit with anyone.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Dzingel-Brassard-Eberle
Smith-Pageau-Lazar
Pyatt-Kelly-McCormick

Lol ask me if we'll have trouble scoring goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad