GDT: 2016-17 NHL Playoffs Thread IV - Pittsburgh wins the Stanley Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'd never suggest that Crosby is likable at all, but I can't understand how many B's fans are actively rooting for a team that Subban is on.

To me, he's far, far less likable than Crosby, especially given the fact that he was the face of the Habs for years, as well as the less than honorable way he plays the game.

I'm hating every minute of rooting for the Pens --- and in the end, I'm not really rooting for them as much as I'm rooting against Subban, Laviolette, Neal, Fisher and some others on Nashville, more than I'm rooting for Pitt.

Sucky choices in this final, to be sure.

Lesser of two evils for me.

Love Josi, Ekholm, Ellis.

The Pens organization employed Ulf (who ended Neely's career for all intents and purposes) and Cooke (who ended Savard's). Not to mention I never liked Mario.

Easy choice.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Lesser of two evils for me.

Love Josi, Ekholm, Ellis.

The Pens organization employed Ulf (who ended Neely's career for all intents and purposes) and Cooke (who ended Savard's). Not to mention I never liked Mario.

Easy choice.

Easy for me too.

Subban is the current player I dislike the most. Neal isn't far behind. Don't really like anyone else on Nashville, especially Laviolette, Josi, Fisher, Ellis, Forsberg.

Plus, I despise country music.

On Pitt, I like Sullivan, Kessel, and can tolerate most of the rest of the team.

Plus, we all know that even if the Pens win, it isn't legit anyway because of how they got Crosby. So I can live with another tainted cup for them.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Easy for me too.

Subban is the current player I dislike the most. Neal isn't far behind. Don't really like anyone else on Nashville, especially Laviolette, Josi, Fisher, Ellis, Forsberg.

Plus, I despise country music.

On Pitt, I like Sullivan, Kessel, and can tolerate most of the rest of the team.

Plus, we all know that even if the Pens win, it isn't legit anyway because of how they got Crosby. So I can live with another tainted cup for them.

How you can't like a guy from here who played his college hockey in MA and was responsible for this (over those pukes from PIT) is beyond me:

"Tried to jump over him"

????

LOL

Jagr's feet never left the ice.

MONTREAL TYPICAL.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
How you can't like a guy from here who played his college hockey in MA and was responsible for this (over those pukes from PIT) is beyond me:

I find him to be smug and off-putting.

With that being said, I did enjoy that exchange.

Similarly, I'd ask you, how you can you root for a guy who was the cowardly face of the same franchise that you're enjoying Laviolette ripping?
:laugh::laugh:

Clearly this finals is a tangled, enigmatic, conundrum.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I find him to be smug and off-putting.

With that being said, I did enjoy that exchange.

Similarly, I'd ask you, how you can you root for a guy who was the cowardly face of the same franchise that you're enjoying Laviolette ripping?
:laugh::laugh:

Clearly this finals is a tangled, enigmatic, conundrum.

I'm not rooting for him personally.

Like I said, for me:

Subban + Neal <<<<< Mario, Ulf, Cooke, Crosby, The Tank, Letang, Kunitz, stealing the B's colors, etc.

The "bad guy" scales are heavily tipped towards PIT.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'm not rooting for him personally.

Like I said, for me:

Subban + Neal <<<<< Mario, Ulf, Cooke, Crosby, The Tank, Letang, Kunitz, stealing the B's colors, etc.

The "bad guy" scales are heavily tipped towards PIT.

I'm just playing with you.

I get it... personal taste.

To me, nobody currently comes close to Subban for me. He's probably the player I like the least over the past 10-15 years and he'll never be able to shake the Hab stink off either.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Sarge,

Let me ask you. If you were a Montreal fan (I know, disgusting. You can shower later), would you root for Seguin to win the Cup? I most certainly would, and all the "I'm happy for Tyler, he never should have been traded" bull **** from our fanbase could ever cover the joy I would have of seeing the guy my rival discarded win it before they even got a sniff at the finals.

Then add a 24 year drought and a "hockey is our everything, it's our only thing" fanaticism to the mix, and the meltdown in Poutineville will be Chara/Rocket incident level of meltdown. If that meltdown means rooting for the team that acquired Subban, I'll hold my nose and root for the Preds.

YMMV.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Sarge,

Let me ask you. If you were a Montreal fan (I know, disgusting. You can shower later), would you root for Seguin to win the Cup? I most certainly would, and all the "I'm happy for Tyler, he never should have been traded" bull **** from our fanbase could ever cover the joy I would have of seeing the guy my rival discarded win it before they even got a sniff at the finals.

Then add a 24 year drought and a "hockey is our everything, it's our only thing" fanaticism to the mix, and the meltdown in Poutineville will be Chara/Rocket incident level of meltdown. If that meltdown means rooting for the team that acquired Subban, I'll hold my nose and root for the Preds.

YMMV.

I don't know if I'd be actively rooting for Seguin, but to me Seguin is a different kind of player than Subban.

Seguin was never the face of the Bruins, nor was he the overrated/cheap shotting/spot picking/showboating/me first/turtle, that Subban is.

Also, I know I'm in the minority here, but I still feel that the majority of Hab fans are going to be happy for Subban if he wins the cup. Most of them have spent most of the past 8-9 years trying to convince the hockey world that he's not what I described him as above, and that he pretty much walks on water.

I look at it more like how I'd feel if Lucic or Boychuk won a cup. Neither guy lobbied to get traded, and I was a fan of both guys. If they won a cup, I'd be happy for them, provided they didn't win with the Habs, as that would be unforgivable.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I don't know if I'd be actively rooting for Seguin, but to me Seguin is a different kind of player than Subban.

Seguin was never the face of the Bruins, nor was he the overrated/cheap shotting/spot picking/showboating/me first/turtle, that Subban is.

Also, I know I'm in the minority here, but I still feel that the majority of Hab fans are going to be happy for Subban if he wins the cup. Most of them have spent most of the past 8-9 years trying to convince the hockey world that he's not what I described him as above, and that he pretty much walks on water.

I look at it more like how I'd feel if Lucic or Boychuk won a cup. Neither guy lobbied to get traded, and I was a fan of both guys. If they won a cup, I'd be happy for them, provided they didn't win with the Habs, as that would be unforgivable.

A good point about Lucic or Boychuck, except for one thing . . . We are normal. Poutineville is not. They seized up 911 for a hockey hit. They lit cars on fire for a Round 1 win. They burned the city and rioted in the streets because the league had the gall to suspend a guy who did nothing wrong (except brain a guy with his stick and knock a linesman out cold). So there's no doubt in my mind that place will meltdown like Chernobyl if Subban wins a Cup.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
A good point about Lucic or Boychuck, except for one thing . . . We are normal. Poutineville is not. They seized up 911 for a hockey hit. They lit cars on fire for a Round 1 win. They burned the city and rioted in the streets because the league had the gall to suspend a guy who did nothing wrong (except brain a guy with his stick and knock a linesman out cold). So there's no doubt in my mind that place will meltdown like Chernobyl if Subban wins a Cup.

Maybe.

I still draw the line at rooting for Subban though.

I guess I just dislike his act more than I dislike Hab fans in general.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Maybe.

I still draw the line at rooting for Subban though.

I guess I just dislike his act more than I dislike Hab fans in general.

It's a combo for me. My dislike for the Pens + my love for all things that adversely affect Poutineville are just slightly higher than my hate for Subban and Neal. It's close though. In all truth, if it was possible for the rink to collapse without landing on any innocent bystanders in the crowd, I would root for that.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Ellis may be trying to pull a Bergeron. Sounds like he might have a rib problem. He skated by himself earlier.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

What was the suspension thing in reference to? Sorry I'm a bit slow today.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
What was the suspension thing in reference to? Sorry I'm a bit slow today.

The Richard Riot. L'Enfant Terrible went all Wayne Makie on Hal Laycoe, then threw a tantrum when the officials tried to corral him, refusing to leave the ice, and ended up punching a linesman unconscious. Campbell had the nerve to suspend him, then Habs fans went all Anglo vs Francophone and proceeded to trash the city.

Last edited:

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

You're underselling the bolded just a little bit. It was a round 1 win vs the 8 seed. Just to make sure everyone gets the full scope of how pathetic that fanbase is

Go Preds

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
You're underselling the bolded just a little bit. It was a round 1 win vs the 8 seed. Just to make sure everyone gets the full scope of how pathetic that fanbase is

Go Press

True. An 8th seed that took 7 games to beat. As I said to Habs fans here once, "My Bruins just won a first round matchup and do you know what I did? I made a sandwich."

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Disgraceful officiating, but this is the norm, funny how the Pens never seem to be on the wrong end of these calls.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I absolutely cant believe in this day and age in the NHL a linesman who could clearly see everything can't overrule and obvious TERRIBLE whistle like that in the stanley cup final. That is absolute horse **** and this league is looking worse every game that goes by. Like come the **** on when will they wise up?

You can challenge an offside call that is within millimetres but not something like that? Laughable.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I absolutely cant believe in this day and age in the NHL a linesman who could clearly see everything can't overrule and obvious TERRIBLE whistle like that in the stanley cup final. That is absolute horse **** and this league is looking worse every game that goes by. Like come the **** on when will they wise up?

You can challenge an offside call that is within millimetres but not something like that? Laughable.

18952579_10212238774737258_8881732030446457876_n.jpg

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Second quick whistle this game that favored the Pens. Second one was from a guy totally out of position and had no reason to blow it dead as early as he did. Cost the Preds a goal. Not sure what needs to be done to improve the pathetic reffing in this league, but something needs to be done. It is incredibly bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad