Player Discussion: 2016-17 All Goalie Talk

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This.

Maybe we would have got a point with Bishop, maybe not, just don't see us winning that game the way we played, no matter who is in net.

That's not really the point. The point is the coach played the 1b in the biggest game of the year. It's sort of like a person who drives drunk to work, is getting their fine, and then suddenly somebody runs a red light and smashes into him. Just because the accident wasn't his fault doesn't mean it's okay to drive drunk. Having a coach that just can't seem to force himself to make the easy, obvious choice is a problem.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
That's not really the point. The point is the coach played the 1b in the biggest game of the year. It's sort of like a person who drives drunk to work, is getting their fine, and then suddenly somebody runs a red light and smashes into him. Just because the accident wasn't his fault doesn't mean it's okay to drive drunk. Having a coach that just can't seem to force himself to make the easy, obvious choice is a problem.

Vasilevskiy is signed next year and Bishop is not. Cooper is getting his starter for the 17-18 season ready. I'm not saying he's throwing in the towel but he's preparing the team for next year. Callahan is shut down, Stamkos might be too, Dotchin is playing heavy minutes, Point is being used at center with more minutes. He has to know this year is a lost cause and he can't have a done year next year so getting important pieces, 1G, 2C and 4D ready for next year.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
At this point of the year teams go with the hot goalie. Not close who that is.
Could be a trade was in the works to avoid injury?

I would prefer to keep Bish and trade Vasi for a good young defender with a lot of upside. Vasi has had his opportunity but falls short. Yeah, he will be much better after a few more years of NHL play but I don't want to be a bottom team while we wait for it. I would be surprised if Las Vegas selected Vasi if we kept him and left him unprotected.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
At this point of the year teams go with the hot goalie. Not close who that is.
Could be a trade was in the works to avoid injury?

I would prefer to keep Bish and trade Vasi for a good young defender with a lot of upside. Vasi has had his opportunity but falls short. Yeah, he will be much better after a few more years of NHL play but I don't want to be a bottom team while we wait for it. I would be surprised if Las Vegas selected Vasi if we kept him and left him unprotected.

You would be surprised if they selected Vasilevskiy? How so?

Vasilevskiy has numbers that put us in a position to be a wild card team, we just are missing some offense. Stamkos adding 20 or so more goals to this team and we are in right now.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
You would be surprised if they selected Vasilevskiy? How so?

Vasilevskiy has numbers that put us in a position to be a wild card team, we just are missing some offense. Stamkos adding 20 or so more goals to this team and we are in right now.

Thinking they take Killorn who could be a first or second liner for them and pick up a veteren goalie instead. Understand that I am not much of a Vasi fan. He was good for a while but no so much now. The team just doesn't look particularly confident as a unit with him in there. I can see and feel it at the arena. If he could recapture what he did in last years playoffs perhaps I would see it differently. He lets in one bad goal and just crumbles now.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Now we can only hope that we have a number one goalie in Vasi, we know we had one in Bish and now he is gone for practically nothing. So sad!

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
giphy.gif

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If Vasy craps the bed now we're in for a long and painful few years because there's no one coming up after him.

This is every team though, with very few exceptions.

Hell, when Bishop went down our first trip into the playoffs, we only had Lindback and Gudlevskis and it was a nightmare. Very few teams have had the 1-2 combo we've had.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is every team though, with very few exceptions.

Hell, when Bishop went down our first trip into the playoffs, we only had Lindback and Gudlevskis and it was a nightmare. Very few teams have had the 1-2 combo we've had.

Except we're in win-now mode and other elite teams aren't as heavily relying on goaltending as we are, unless there's a huge restructure of the team we're not going to see much improvement from this year.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Except we're in win-now mode and other elite teams aren't as heavily relying on goaltending as we are, unless there's a huge restructure of the team we're not going to see much improvement from this year.

Most of this team's players have played all their career with Bishop. Now they just have to learn with different goalie in the net. If they can't do that, we are screwed.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
SFY keeps bringing up Budaj's strong numbers this season but you have to ask how much of that is a result of a very defense-oriented system in LA and how much is on Budaj himself.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
SFY keeps bringing up Budaj's strong numbers this season but you have to ask how much of that is a result of a very defense-oriented system in LA and how much is on Budaj himself.

Agreed, also curious to see how godly Bishop as a positional goaltender will look under LA's defense and shot surpression.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto

L.A has much better D then ours. Our D is garbage. Dotchin has been a great surprise and even Hedman hasn't been as good as has the past 3 seasons.

It sucks that this season is such a bust but man, I hope they bounce back next year in a big way and get their act together.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agreed, also curious to see how godly Bishop as a positional goaltender will look under LA's defense and shot surpression.

Budaj's first game here is going to be an interesting one. But right now it would seem Vasi gets the majority of the starts for the rest of the season? Or does Cooper evenly split them continuing to slowly develop Vasi into the 1st spot?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ben Bishop behind a strong defense... I'm not sure if those are the building blocks to world domination or if his best talents (being a 3rd D) are just going to go to waste.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Budaj's first game here is going to be an interesting one. But right now it would seem Vasi gets the majority of the starts for the rest of the season? Or does Cooper evenly split them continuing to slowly develop Vasi into the 1st spot?

I think we'll ride Vasy down the stretch almost entirely for his development. If by some miracle we find ourselves in a playoff race without Vasy playing lights out, maybe we'll just go with the hot hand.

Budaj's probably coming in with something to prove though. A lot of Kings fans feel like this trade was a slap in the face to him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not sure why everyone is so afraid to have Vasilevskiy in net going forward? It happens all the time a team goes with the young up and coming, cheap and unproven option in net. Chicago won a cup with Niemi and let him walk for Crawford, San Jose traded a 1st for an unproven Jones those teams were even more win now mode than us. Hell we went with an unproven Bishop to lead us a few years ago and it worked out. Vasilevskiy has more starts than any of those players prior to being handed the keys so not too worried it'll be a disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad