Player Discussion: 2016-17 All Goalie Talk

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Budaj's first game here is going to be an interesting one. But right now it would seem Vasi gets the majority of the starts for the rest of the season? Or does Cooper evenly split them continuing to slowly develop Vasi into the 1st spot?

Yeah no point in sheltering Vasy now IMO. If he's the guy going forward, and I think it's very clear that this decision has been made, he has to do the heavy lifting starting today. Budaj is a nice safety net but the onus (hi FP) is on Vasy, playing a lot and playing well.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Yup, season is toast. At this point we need to get Vasilevskiy as many starts as possible. We got several back to backs left though so I expect to see Budaj a few times as well.

Trading Bishop and giving up on the season with 20+ games left isn't going to help out ticket sales that's for sure. I know a couple STM who are really pissed at management for throwing in the towel.

Will be nice to go to last regular season home game though and hit up all the merchandise sales. I got some really nice stuff a few years ago when we missed the playoffs for 75% off.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Not sure why everyone is so afraid to have Vasilevskiy in net going forward? It happens all the time a team goes with the young up and coming, cheap and unproven option in net. Chicago won a cup with Niemi and let him walk for Crawford, San Jose traded a 1st for an unproven Jones those teams were even more win now mode than us. Hell we went with an unproven Bishop to lead us a few years ago and it worked out. Vasilevskiy has more starts than any of those players prior to being handed the keys so not too worried it'll be a disaster.

You left out the best analogy to make your case. MTL choosing Price over Halak in 2010. Habs fans were bemoaning it like I am now with Bishop leaving. I hope you are right. It’s just Vasi’s total lack of puck moving ability that has me pessimistic (which is not analogous to Price). A team structured differently may be able to adjust to it. Time will tell. It was the rap on Vasi before he was drafted, and even with Bishop as his tutor, it hasn’t improved.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Yeah no point in sheltering Vasy now IMO. If he's the guy going forward, and I think it's very clear that this decision has been made, he has to do the heavy lifting starting today. Budaj is a nice safety net but the onus (hi FP) is on Vasy, playing a lot and playing well.

Agreed. Fail or succeed, let Vasy get as many games as he can down the stretch.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
The biggest reason I'm upset to see Bish go, is because of his ability to drive an offense. Lets face it: Bish was a 3rd defenseman. The only defenseman really capable of making a slick breakout pass, as of right now, is Hedman. Bishop could catch teams changing at the worst times, and sling a puck to their blueline.

I'm worried how that will look for the rest of the team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yup, season is toast. At this point we need to get Vasilevskiy as many starts as possible. We got several back to backs left though so I expect to see Budaj a few times as well.

Trading Bishop and giving up on the season with 20+ games left isn't going to help out ticket sales that's for sure. I know a couple STM who are really pissed at management for throwing in the towel.

Will be nice to go to last regular season home game though and hit up all the merchandise sales. I got some really nice stuff a few years ago when we missed the playoffs for 75% off.

Reality is reality though. Our chances of making the playoffs are slim to none, and not accepting that could risk our chances of making the playoffs in future seasons.

The reports on this Cernak kid are pretty conflicting, but we know we have people watching plenty of Eerie games, so I have no doubt management has a good idea about what we're getting.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

I think I'm looking at this the same way as Yzerman does, that time will tell, and that the hope is that it will work out the way that we all want.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think I'm looking at this the same way as Yzerman does, that time will tell, and that the hope is that it will work out the way that we all want.

Can always sign Budaj cheap next season so Vasi has that support. Would be good for him having that veteran presence. Since he is still young and developing.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
He's an UFA. They are very unlikely to take him even if he was under contract when you see the other options available on our team.

Sorry but I meant to say Stevie said he had interest in signing him for the back up job next seasOn. Guessing because he will come cheap?

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Sorry but I meant to say Stevie said he had interest in signing him for the back up job next seasOn. Guessing because he will come cheap?

Based on his recent contracts, I'd say so. But who knows he's been solid this year, might want to get a decent pay check considering it may be his last chance given his age.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

It will take some getting used to but I still wish him the best, just wish there was a way that we could have signed him to more than 3 years last time.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

It will take some getting used to but I still wish him the best, just wish there was a way that we could have signed him to more than 3 years last time.

I threw up a little bit.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Maybe it's just because I accepted Bishop was gone a long time ago, but this news really did nothing to me. Seeing him in a Kings jersey looks kinda weird but isn't sickening. I just feel pretty indifferent.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

Well, we can't forget to welcome Peter, even if it's tough losing Bish. Let's hope that he does well for us this year and maybe we'll keep him or find a good backup next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad