WJC: 2016 — USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Offensively this team will be stacked...scary stacked. Our goaltending will be more than capable imo...but our defense is in real danger of being average depending on Hanifin..

Offensively there are just so many options here. A lot of kids have been stepping up of late making the depth even more impressive. A kid like Roslovic has skyrocketed his game and could be a real legit candidate...hell he probably makes this team right now.

I really like this forward crew and they will be depended on with a puck possession style to help take pressure off our defense.

If Larkin isn't up with the Wings I would love to see this group..

Tuch - Larkin - Milano
Connor - Matthews - Garland
Boeser - Dvorak - Bracco
Roslovic - White - Fischer
Schmaltz

Not sure Tkachuk gets the nod yet...bet very well could. Leaving off a lot of top talent here no doubt..can make arguments either way on a number of players.

Defensively we need some surprise guys to step up...Glover and Dougherty would be two solid names I expect to make a serious case here.

Hanifin, Werenski, Carlo, Jacobs and Krys makes a solid top 5
..happy as hell if we get that...we can fill In with names above as well as guys like Caleb Jones and McCavoy who both played solid this year...plus Siebenaler is a serious wildcard to watch for too..

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
All depends on Coach

Any news on who or when they will announce coach ?

Anyone want to take a guess ?

My guess is that the coach will be one of the following:
  • Rick Bennett (Union)
  • Nate Leaman (Providence)
  • David Quinn (Boston University)

Leaman has WJC experience as an assistant coach and Quinn has an extensive history with USAH, including the NTDP, WJC, and WCs.

No inside information but all seem like logical candidates.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Between Werenski, Jacobs, Dougherty, Collins, Carlo, Krys, Belpedio, McAvoy, Glover, Siebenaler, and Haydon they'll be able to find 7 guys that are a good enough group to possibly win the tournament. Not as strong as it's been in prior years, but workable.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
My guess is that the coach will be one of the following:
  • Rick Bennett (Union)
  • Nate Leaman (Providence)
  • David Quinn (Boston University)

Leaman has WJC experience as an assistant coach and Quinn has an extensive history with USAH, including the NTDP, WJC, and WCs.

No inside information but all seem like logical candidates.

Good start, I'll go with, in no order :

_ Leaman ( Prov )
_Quinn ( BU )
_Blais ( Neb-Omaha )
_Sandelin ( Minn-Dul )

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
According to Kevin Allen of USA Today, Ron Wilson will be named head coach tomorrow.

Interesting choice and one I really like, especially since he won't be juggling any other coaching responsibilities like all the other candidates would be doing.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Big fan of the Wilson selection. I suspect this will be his springboard to return to the NHL.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
"Wilson has coached United States at a number of tournaments, most notably at the 1996 World Cup of Hockey, when he led the U.S. to the gold medal. He also coached the 1996 bronze medal-missing team at the 1996 IIHF World Championship.

Wilson coached the United States at the 1998 Nagano Olympics, losing to the Czech Republic in the quarterfinals. He led the U.S. to the silver medal at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics; a 3-2 overtime loss to Canada in the gold medal game was the United States' lone defeat in the tournament."

Certainly has some experience.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I was never a fan of the snarky S.O.B. and his 'I'm the smartest guy in the room and the rest of you are all a bunch of dummies' attitude. Nonetheless, I hope for a Canada and U.S. final.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Jeez, if I were American, I wouldn’t be too happy about the news of Wilson being named the head coach of the U.S WJC team. Mediocre coach, terrible human being.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
You know this through the Toronto media ?

Or

Are you going to spin some yarn that you know him personally or he was rude to you at a restaurant ?

No, I've never met/interacted with him personally. I suppose I should have said that he seems like an unpleasant person, because he comes across as a total jackass in the vast majority of his press conferences/interviews/media interactions. His overall demeanor and attitude is one that points to a petty, crusty, sour, deeply bitter person.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
So Wilson is a terrible human being because he doesn't like dealing with Toronto hockey media. That is some great deductive reasoning and proves he is awful.

Once again, I said he seems like a bitter and unlikeable person. I never said I knew this for sure. I just said that's the impression he gave off, and there's reasons for that. If he really hates the Toronto media so much, then I'm not sure why he keeps seeking them out just so he can get another opportunity to talk about how much he hates the Leafs (his words, not mine). He comes across as a petty and bitter individual with a grudge and an axe to grind. As much as the Leafs deserve all the criticism they get, a former head coach who may one day be looking to get a job with another NHL team should be smarter than to childishly slam his former club/blame his lack of success on all of his players being "uncoachable" in public on numerous occasions. He sounds fixated, to be honest.

DSuttersface

Dec 28, 2014
SoCal
"Wilson has coached United States at a number of tournaments, most notably at the 1996 World Cup of Hockey, when he led the U.S. to the gold medal. He also coached the 1996 bronze medal-missing team at the 1996 IIHF World Championship.

Wilson coached the United States at the 1998 Nagano Olympics, losing to the Czech Republic in the quarterfinals. He led the U.S. to the silver medal at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics; a 3-2 overtime loss to Canada in the gold medal game was the United States' lone defeat in the tournament."

Certainly has some experience.

Oh the horrors of 2010. I remember it like it was yesterday. Wilson did a great job with that team and I think he's got more than enough experience to take the WJC team far in the tournament. I just don't want to remember 2010, it's like PTSD for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad