WJC: 2016 — USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think the chances of Chychrun playing for us are near zero.

Brown is probably 50/50

I agree on both odds, but it cant hurt to throw everything at Chychrun just to see if he wants to play.

Logan Brown is a weirder case considering all of his buddies (the Tkachuks especially) are all US...he is 50-50 in my eyes as well, maybe his buddy Kirwan can help bring him to the right side :yo:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
We'll know for sure (well a better idea) when the invite list for the summer WJC camp comes out. I would think Brown is on it. Up to him to accept. Chychrun will probably get an invite as well but I would be very surprised if he accepts.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I agree with this.

As with Logan Brown, I still doubt he plays for Canada, that is my opinion. Just because he wore a team Canada jersey and made some tweets means nothing to me as he is an American kid playing in Canada...just trying to fit in eh??

People seem to forget something- it is not where you are born, but where your heart lies. The only reason Brown was born in the US was because his father was playing for the St. Louis Blues at that time. He spent his summers in Ottawa growing up as a kid as well; and himself said he considers himself "Canadian". Same with Chychrun, whose parents located to Florida from Canada for business reasons, but himself said he feels more "Canadian". The only reason Logan Brown was at a NTDP tryout was that he thought Hockey Canada was not interested in him. When the olive branch was extended to Logan Brown's father from Hockey Canada, that he was on their radar; he chose to wear the Maple Leaf proudly. Hopefully Hockey Canada is more aggressive in future years, in reaching out and extending an olive branch to even more dual citizens that are good enough, and have an inkling towards wearing the Maple Leaf.

This is an article from January:

Brown has Canadian and American citizenship but chose to play for Canada at the recent 2015 World Under 17 Hockey Challenge in Sarnia, Ontario.

"It was an unbelievable experience and a thrill to put on the Canadian jersey for the first time in an international tournament," Brown claims. "It was great to learn the ways of Hockey Canada and hopefully I'll be able to represent Canada again."

While Brown is still eligible to play internationally for the United States, he seems to have made his choice.

"Up here hockey is a religion and the World Junior Hockey Championships are a national holiday and I love that," Brown said. "My dad is Canadian and I hope that Hockey Canada likes what they see in me."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=750733

It goes the other way as well with Campoli, who was born and raised in Canada, but went the US NTDP route because he said he envisioned himself as a kid going that route, and wearing the US sweater. It also is in US politics- with Ted Cruz who was born and spent his first 12-13 years in Canada to a Cuban father and an American mother; revoked his Canadian Citizenship last year and is now running for President and seeking the Republican Party nomination. Before even being elected in the US Senate, he said in his heart- I am an American only and do not have any attachment to Canada. Same goes with other players that were born in one country, but played for Team USA (i.e. Brett Hull, Deadmarsh, Pominiville).

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I thought Canada called "no backsies" on Ted Cruz.

LOL. Not really. However, the Republican field is wide open, but Cruz will be out of the conversation eventually and fade from the conversation after the initial primaries. It will boil down to Jeb Bush and Scott Walker battling it out in the end to see who will get a chance to face Hillary. In the end- 24 years later, it will be Bush vs. Clinton again just like in 1992. Back to hockey for me now.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I hope that Brown and Chychrun are both on the American roster in 2016, representing the country where they primarily developed as hockey players.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I hope that Brown and Chychrun are both on the American roster in 2016, representing the country where they primarily developed as hockey players.

I hope that Brown and Chychrun are both on the Canadian roster in 2016, representing the country where their heart lies and parents are from.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I feel bad for them having their heart cut out and left lying somewhere. Sad turn of events for those kids.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Exactly, sounds like living vicariously through their kids LOL. Im pretty sure neither father repped Canada internationally.

Chychrun's uncle is Luke Richardson, and Richardson played for Canada a few times. No idea if that has impacted his decision.

BJD

May 26, 2011
Josh Jacobs was just named to the Big 10 all freshman team. Based on his stats his season looked pretty uninspiring but maybe his play is better than his numbers.

Any chance he can crack the squad?

Any input?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Yeah their heart lies....hahahaha more like where their fathers are pressuring them.

How the hell do you know if their fathers are pressuring them or not. This issue always gets under my skin. They have the right to decide what they want to do. Why wouldn't or shouldn't they consider themselves Canadian if that's the way they feel.

Missy Franklins' parents are Canadian. She made a decsion to swim for the US, I have no problem with that. Why should I.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Love the forward corps, don't love the D, especially if Hanifin sticks in the NHL (which I wouldn't bet on, but who knows).

Up front, I'd have Matthews, Tuch, Milano, Garland, Larkin, Connor, and Dvorak as guys I'd have as locks. I like White, Bracco, and Tkachuk as options. Christian Fischer would be the ideal 4th line guy for a tourney like this. Boeser, Roslovic, Novak, Schmaltz, Bittner, McInnis, and Greenway are possibilities, but only Boeser really interests me there.

Tkachuk-Matthews-Garland
Tuch-Dvorak-Milano
Connor-Larkin-Bracco
Fischer-White-Boeser/whoever

That'd be my forwards. Tkachuk and Matthews work incredibly well together, and Garland is skilled enough to hang. A Connor-Larkin-Bracco line would be so ******* fast holy hell. Dvorak, I can't say I'm particularly familiar with, but I had a hole in between Tuch and Milano and as far as I know he'd fit. White is an excellent defensive player, and Fischer is too. Both quality scorers. If Tkachuk is judged not to be ready, Matthews and Connor also have some chemistry (played together at the U18 last year), and then put someone like Roslovic or Schmaltz on Larkin's wing.

My defense would be made up of some combo of Hanifin, Werenski, Carlo, Belpedio, Krys, and... Ugh. It's safe to say that if Hanifin isn't available, this defense blows chunks. I guess Collins or Dougherty or someone. Goaltending is also mediocre.

dwanmaster*

Love the forward corps, don't love the D, especially if Hanifin sticks in the NHL (which I wouldn't bet on, but who knows).

Up front, I'd have Matthews, Tuch, Milano, Garland, Larkin, Connor, and Dvorak as guys I'd have as locks. I like White, Bracco, and Tkachuk as options. Christian Fischer would be the ideal 4th line guy for a tourney like this. Boeser, Roslovic, Novak, Schmaltz, Bittner, McInnis, and Greenway are possibilities, but only Boeser really interests me there.

Tkachuk-Matthews-Garland
Tuch-Dvorak-Milano
Connor-Larkin-Bracco
Fischer-White-Boeser/whoever

That'd be my forwards. Tkachuk and Matthews work incredibly well together, and Garland is skilled enough to hang. A Connor-Larkin-Bracco line would be so ******* fast holy hell. Dvorak, I can't say I'm particularly familiar with, but I had a hole in between Tuch and Milano and as far as I know he'd fit. White is an excellent defensive player, and Fischer is too. Both quality scorers. If Tkachuk is judged not to be ready, Matthews and Connor also have some chemistry (played together at the U18 last year), and then put someone like Roslovic or Schmaltz on Larkin's wing.

My defense would be made up of some combo of Hanifin, Werenski, Carlo, Belpedio, Krys, and... Ugh. It's safe to say that if Hanifin isn't available, this defense blows chunks. I guess Collins or Dougherty or someone. Goaltending is also mediocre.

Halverson and Nedeljkovic are both good options. Then bring Sarthou or Oettinger along for the year after. Hanifin would be nice but I still think he's going to the show, and Werenski, Carlo, Belpedio, Krys, Dougherty and Collins are a good group of 6. Also still have guys like Fortunato and Mcavoy that could breakout in the NCAA next year.

I like our depth finally.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We will see what happens with Larkin but he is pro now as well. Should he make the Wings out of camp (though that seems unlikely it isn't impossible given his rounded mature game) Team USA might be without the guy I thought would captain them next year.

He will be made available if he is with the Griffins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad