WJC: 2016 — USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
After a very disappointing tournament it's time to turn the page and start considering next year's tournament.

First priority for me is to find the best coach available. It's very hard to predict just who USA Hockey will choose but they really need to press to find someone who can get the most out of what should be an older, veteran team with a good amount of talent available to it. It would be interesting to see a former pro coach like Bylsma try his hand at this, especially considering he saw the core group of players first hand this year, but I'm sure he'll be hoping to land a pro job which could complicate such a plan.

I suspect the selection process will remain the same with the summer evaluation camp and pre-tournament camp. If possible, I'd like to see a game against the Russians in the summer. It's clear that they represent a major issue to US teams at this tournament and getting a bit of familiarity with them could only help. The way groupings are coming together for next year it's quite possible the US could face them again in the quarters and a third consecutive defeat to them in such a situation would be a nightmare.

Potential returnees...

Forwards

Eichel - Probably won't be available but it'd be nice to see him redeem himself after what I consider to be a disappointing showing this year.

Milano - Needs to gain strength and make better decisions but with his talent there's no question he could be a major contributor next year. I think it's possible he'll be in the AHL which will raise questions about his availability.

Tuch - I'd like to see him improve his skating as I think he looked slow out there this year. There's a lot of upside with his skill set and size so if he can improve he could also be a major contributor.

Matthews - Had a decent tournament considering his age this year but expectations will be much higher next year. I love his game and I expect him to be a force with added strength and maturity.

Schmaltz - Very disappointing this year but has lots of skill. If he can raise his compete level and improve his skating he could be a leader next year. It's also not out of the realm of possibility he goes the way of Adam Erne.

Larkin - Best player on the team this year so you'd expect/hope that his play will carry over to next year.

Defense

Hanifin - Had a very nice tournament this year and could be the rock of the defense next year - if he's not in the NHL. I still don't believe the latter is a sure thing though and if the team that takes him makes the responsible decision and gives him one more year at BC I think it'd be better for him and them long term.

Werenski - Was OK this year considering his age but he needs to work on his skating as there were numerous times he was beat wide and unable to win battles for the puck because of it. I also hope he'll be less tentative on the power play next year. Shouldn't be in the NHL next year if the team that drafted him is responsible.

Carlo - Seemed to be a polarizing player with his showing this year. He was better than I expected but still not great. He made mistakes on a couple of important goals and he didn't bring the physical edge I wanted from him but he should be better next year. Needs to work on his puck handling though as he really struggled with it at times.

Collins - I thought he may have turned the corner in his development after positive showings late last year and over the summer but he was totally over his head here. His play was problematic enough this year that I'm not sure he'd even be a good bet to get a spot next year. Has to seriously improve all aspects of his skating and mobility.

Goaltenders

Halverson - Was fine in limited action this year. Will compete for the starters role next year.

Nedeljkovic - Disappointing in exhibition showings but will be in the competition to start next year.

Potential camp invites courtesy of William H Bonney...

Forwards (x24):

Brock Boeser
Paul Bittner
Anders Bjork
Jeremy Bracco
Kyle Connor
Christian Dvorak
Jack Eichel
Christian Fischer
Connor Garland
Ryan Hitchcock
Luke Kirwan
Luke Kunin
Ryan MacInnis
Adam Marsh
Auston Matthews
Sonny Milano
Tommy Novak
Jack Roslovic
Matthew Tkachuk
Alex Tuch
Dominic Turgeon
Brendan Warren
Colin White
Dennis Yan

Defense (x14):

Louie Belpedio
Brandon Carlo
Joseph Cecconi
Ryan Collins
Jack Dougherty
Brandon Fortunato
Jack Glover
Noah Hanifin
Aaron Haydon
Josh Jacobs
John MacLeod
Blake Siebenaler
Zach Werenski

Goalies (x4):

Brandon Halverson
Alex Nedeljkovic
Luke Opilka
Michael Lackey

Lots of options up front but it should be interesting again on defense as the '96 defensive group is pretty mediocre and there's no high end depth in the '97 group after Hanifin and Werenski. I'd like to see a veteran team which is what I think will happen given all the potential returnees and solid '96 forward group. There are a few players I haven't seen a lot of that I'm intrigued by, like Dvorak and Garland. If I had to put together an early guess, without Eichel, here's what it'd be...

Milano - Matthews - Tuch
Connor - Larkin - Schmaltz
Dvorak - White - Bracco
Bittner - MacInnis - Bjork/Fischer
Fischer/Tkachuk/Garland?

It's a veteran group of mostly 19 year olds. Five of the top six are returnees with the speedster Connor added to the mix. I'm giving Dvorak the benefit of the doubt here despite my lack of viewings and it seems he could fit in nicely with the younger NTDP duo of White-Bracco. Fourth line is big and will hopefully provide some energy and solid defense. The extra forward would be up in the air in my mind depending on what they're looking for.

Hanifin - Belpedio
Werenski - Carlo
Fortunato - Dougherty
Collins/MacLeod/Siebenaler?

I went with more of an offensive minded group but it's possible they go in a different direction. More question marks than definite answers amongst this group overall though and potentially losing Hanifin could confuse matters even more.

Halverson
Nedeljkovic
Opilka

Ned could get the nod but I'll give Halverson the edge as of now.

It's looking like they'll get a tough match up regardless of where they finish in group play as next year's groups will likely be massively uneven, with the US in the far weaker group. I refuse to call this team a favorite after this year and I certainly plan to take all pre-tournament results and showings with a big grain of salt. The Canadians, Russians and Swedes own this tournament in my eyes and this group will have to be ready to battle to earn a medal.

ATBLeafsTyler

Dec 15, 2014
Newmarket, Ontario
Didn't Eichel's dad say something about him finishing school? Could be back if so

How could finishing school possibly be a good idea for him? Hes got 27 points in 16 games as a freshman. He's just going to completely dominate anyways.

He needs to play with NHLers as soon as possible IMO. It would be like sending McDavid back to Erie next year, no point.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
How could finishing school possibly be a good idea for him?

Maybe his mom wants boy to have a college degree ;)

Or he wants to avoid Oilers picking him.

Anyways I don't see staying in school for one more year a bad thing at all. I won't make him worse player he will be even more nhl-ready and more mature mindwise

EDIT:

Maybe he is plannin the scenario if Oilers pick him, he stays in the college until becomes UFA :D

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am going to go out on a limb and say that Krys not only gets invited but makes this team. That defense has a lot to prove and after seeing how well Werenski and Hanifin did as 17 year olds I have little doubt what Krys can do at this stage. Krys will be there I will bet on it.

As for forwards even though we have a ton of depth I will find it hard if USA keeps Max Jones off the evaluation camp roster. Kid has been a monster at every level and his size and skill will put him in the conversation. We are starting to produce young studs and I think the US isnt going to be afraid to go with kids like Krys and Jones if they have to. Both should be invited in June.

Last edited:

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
I'd really like to see Aaron Haydon on the team next year. He's done very well for Niagra as of late, and he'd offer a much needed snarl and physical presence to the back end. His offensive game is really starting to develop.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Awesome recap, Cagney. I agree with basically everything you said.

Not that it was ever going to happen (USAH going to the CHL ranks) but it stinks that Mike Vellucci is no longer coaching Plymouth. I've wanted him to coach this team for awhile. Given his role with Carolina he's not a viable candidate to coach anymore but I wouldn't mind seeing him in an advisory/scout role for the squad. Given his background with the CHL he could offer a lot if USAH wants to listen.

I wonder if USAH would ask Mike Eaves again? He's suffering through an awful year with a really young Wisconsin team so maybe he'd enjoy getting away a bit next year.

My guess at possible coaches with no insight: Rick Bennett (Union) or Nate Leaman (Providence). The latter has WJC experience as an assistant.

I would also keep a serious eye on Ryan Donato as the brass loved Miles Wood they will love this kid out of South Shore...

Hopefully they learned their lesson this year. If they want to go "off the board" like that (although Donato wouldn't be as far off the board as Wood) then they need to do so in the summer camp. Statistically at least Donato isn't having a great year to start with South Shore and the games he was with the NTDP. If they would have done that with Wood they should have seen he was in over his head there (although I have my doubts since they didn't see it in the December camp).

In fact, that's one of my beefs with the way USAH does their August evaluation camp. It was a shock that Matthews got an invite because they seem so averse to inviting underagers to the summer camp even when it's painfully obvious they deserve to be there (Eichel, Hanifin, Werenski, Trouba, etc.) but they always end up inviting them to the December camp. Why wouldn't you want them there in August as well? The way they do it now is like making the kids show up for the SAT without letting them take the test prep. It's stupid. Let the "off the board" players they want to evaluate or the underagers that obviously deserve an invite get their feet wet in August. They'll better understand the pace they need to be prepared for and would have 4+ months to prepare instead of 4+ days. And it could possibly alleviate the misguided infatuation USAH gets with players like Wood. But alas, I'm not USAH so it would likely take more than back-to-back disappointments to get them to change.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Krys should make the team, and they should do everything they can to get Chychrun too.

No way Collins should be back. I'm hoping Dougherty and Glover can improve, I was high on them before, especially Dougherty.

I'd really like to know if there's any shot at Chychrun, and if they are recruiting him, or being typical stubborn USA Hockey.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
I am going to go out on a limb and say that Krys not only gets invited but makes this team. That defense has a lot to prove and after seeing how well Werenski and Hanifin did as 17 year olds I have little doubt what Krys can do at this stage. Krys will be there I will bet on it.

As for forwards even though we have a ton of depth I will find it hard if USA keeps Max Jones off the evaluation camp roster. Kid has been a monster at every level and his size and skill will put him in the conversation. We are starting to produce young studs and I think the US isnt going to be afraid to go with kids like Krys and Jones if they have to. Both should be invited in June.

I think any other year Jones, Logan Brown, Clayton Keller and maybe even like a Timmy Gettinger or Nick Pastujov would get looks, but the forward group may be too deep.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'd really like to know if there's any shot at Chychrun, and if they are recruiting him, or being typical stubborn USA Hockey.

I think it's a long shot at best. If Sarnia collapses I would say they should offer him a spot on the IIHF U18 squad as an underager but I doubt they'd do it. And I doubt Chychrun would show up this summer for the Select 17s to possibly play in the Hlinka and USAH won't select him without it, which is a shame.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Krys should make the team, and they should do everything they can to get Chychrun too.

No way Collins should be back. I'm hoping Dougherty and Glover can improve, I was high on them before, especially Dougherty.

I think he will play for Canada since he represented Team Ontario at the U17.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Didn't Eichel's dad say something about him finishing school? Could be back if so

I didn't hear that but if he happens to end up getting drafted by the Oilers I'd be happy to see him spend all four years at BU, or at least until he's traded. I'm only half kidding.

I wonder if USAH would ask Mike Eaves again? He's suffering through an awful year with a really young Wisconsin team so maybe he'd enjoy getting away a bit next year.

It's an interesting idea but I'd be a bit worried about his ability to focus on the task. I have no idea what his job security is like right now but he'd probably be more up to it if he were let go and felt he had something to prove. I certainly wouldn't wish that situation on him though.

It was a shock that Matthews got an invite because they seem so averse to inviting underagers to the summer camp even when it's painfully obvious they deserve to be there (Eichel, Hanifin, Werenski, Trouba, etc.) but they always end up inviting them to the December camp. Why wouldn't you want them there in August as well?

I read an interview with Werenski where he talked about having a very busy summer due to accelerating his studies. I wonder if that's the real reason for some of these apparent snubs at the summer camp. Hanifin and Eichel the year before could have been in the same boat so it's possible USA Hockey just gave them the time off and it was never reported anywhere.

I think Chychrun is done with USA Hockey as he seems very vocal about his pride in representing Canada. It's a big loss but I think it was over once he moved up there. Then again, he might jump at the chance to play for the US in a World Cup some day, provided they don't follow IIHF eligibility requirements and Canada doesn't come knocking.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia

This would have to cause a certain level of dissension amongst a national team. The kid was born and grew up in Florida. I know when the U.S. brought Galchenyuk along there was some questioning, but at least he was born in the US.

Would be a huge loss for USA Hockey.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I agree that I think he plays for Canada but I wouldnt use the u17 as the reason...Cassels represented Canada and then found himself at the US camp...anything can happen..

If I was USA Hockey I would focus all my efforts on Logan Brown as he seems the most likely 50-50 out there...he would be my big target as he still seems open to play for the US

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
This would have to cause a certain level of dissension amongst a national team. The kid was born and grew up in Florida. I know when the U.S. brought Galchenyuk along there was some questioning, but at least he was born in the US.

Not if he considers himself a Canadian which seems to be the case.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Agreed.

But it happens to more often then we think.

The God William Nylander, was born in Canada.

Cam fowler also born in Canada

Sean courtier, born in Arizona

Tyler Myers also born in Canada

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Agreed.

Missy Franklins parents are Canadian. We lost out on that one lol.

Tbaywingfan

Oct 19, 2013
Agreed.

Tyler Myers was born in Texas, but moved to Alberta (if I'm not mistaken) as a kid.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I am most surprised about Brown as I figured he would for sure play with USA, when he was invited to Canada's u17 camp I really did not see that coming. Chychrun was less of a surprise as he played Midget in Toronto and likely had other influences. Day was influenced likely by parents but spent his whole life in the US.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
I am most surprised about Brown as I figured he would for sure play with USA, when he was invited to Canada's u17 camp I really did not see that coming. Chychrun was less of a surprise as he played Midget in Toronto and likely had other influences. Day was influenced likely by parents but spent his whole life in the US.

Yeah, but why wouldn't they play for Canada at U17s when they weren't going to be able to play for USA anyway. Regardless what country they want to rep. Both have gone to multiple USA Hockey summer camps too.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Team Id like to see;

Milano - Larkin - Tuch
Bracco - White - Dvorak
Connor - Matthews - Greenway
Bittner - MacInnis - Fischer
Schmaltz

Carlo
Hanifin
Werenski